Thorens

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Donut

Donut

Any one heard any of the new Thorens decks. I'm interested in upgrading my Project Debut II and am considering speanding upto £500 (new) including arm and cart.. Thorens have a nice looking deck for around £500 (TD 295), also considering the Project PRM4 at £350. Any others.........
    Donut

Donut, Jun 19, 2003
  2. Donut

julian2002 Muper Soderator

the only exposure i've had to throens is my dad's tt a td 105 and after 20+ years it's still going.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 19, 2003
  3. Donut

lordsummit moderate mod

The other inevitable new choice is the Rega P3, you could have that and an excellent cartridge for that money. I love mine, preferred it to the Pro-ject RPM4. What about a second hand Systemdeck, or you could maybe get on the Linn ladder for that money.

lordsummit, Jun 20, 2003
  4. Donut

Donut

Thanks for the replies v- I would rather avoid second hand on this as I'm really looking for something that I can just plug in and spin my disks - so spending ages tweeking a Linn is out really. So it seems that I have 3 options...
    Project RPM4, Rega P3 or the Thorens TD295.
    Any more for any more!
    Oh by the way, I'm probably going to upgrade the phono stage to a MF X-LPS as well to go with the rest of my MF amplification.
    Donut

Donut, Jun 20, 2003
  5. Donut

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Sorry - beg to differ...

Buy the PLANAR (NOT P)3 second hand, and check the bearings in the arm by disabling anti-skate and counter weight so the arm "floats" - if you can push (gently) so it swings right to the middle of the turntable slowly, with no wobble or drag, you're there.

Then, get the deck to a hifi shop, have the Rega motor upgrade done. The DECK has a transferrable lifetime guarantee - the new P3 version doesn't. The only drawback with the motor upgrade is that this is then limited to 3 years guarantee, but the arm and bearing are still covered for life.

The dealer can then sort out an oil change, general service, and fit a new cart (or stylus) - I reckon you can do worse than a Dynavector 10x5 or an Ortofon 540 on that deck (I had the older 10x4 (which broke due to me being a tool!) and the Ortofon 5x0 range on mine and they all rock).

Failing that - trawl freeads like the plague - I saw a Michell Gyrodec in there once for £350 - after a service that would be dead cheap! And a deck to drool over while you're at it!

domfjbrown, Jun 20, 2003
  6. Donut

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

A deck that should be just out of your price range but on a demo list is the Nottingham Analogue Horizon. I heard this at a show and it was simply great. The problem is I can't find anybody in the UK that sells, or at least has it on a website, there is a dealer in the US that has it here: dealer page

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Jun 20, 2003
  7. Donut

zanash

I used a TD160 super for many years, but didn't like the change thorens made to leaf springs. They never quite sounded the same som how.

I,m not a planer fan, so if you like the thorens family sound, you might not like the rega's.

Audition the Nottm. Analogue its very good.

zanash, Jun 20, 2003
  8. Donut

lordsummit moderate mod

Don't Walrus in London do the Nottingham Analogue range. I reckon if you want any more choices you'll have to visit them. Mind you I believe they're very good at milking your pockets. They sell some serious dream machines. Glad they aren't near me.

Have a look at them here

Just been trolling through, notice they're selling this £350

andthis

Both will be well set up and in cracking nick. The Heybrook is the deck that Linn ripped off IIRC correctly, it then ran for years and years. The Nottingham deck is a legend. If I had some money:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2003
    lordsummit, Jun 20, 2003
  9. Donut

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Donut

I know you said no to 2nd hand, but a 2nd hand Rega 25 would be in your budget and is essentially an uprate P3.

Why not save up for another month and get the new Michell TT £575 without cartridge IIRC.

I was goin to suggest Origin Live TT kits, but they are above your budget without arm or cartridge.

If it was me, I'd go for a P3 (probably 2nd hand), a cartrdige of about £50 (Grado Black) and spend the rest on albums.

Lee

LiloLee, Jun 20, 2003
  10. Donut

sideshowbob Trisha

I'm with the second hand recommendations (a P25 would be a good choice), or save a bit more and go for the Nottingham Analogue Horizon, which is very good, or the Michell Technodec, which is probably very good. (I was in Walrus today picking up an armboard and they have both.)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 20, 2003
  11. Donut

dominicT former member

Firstly Walrus do not milk you. They are a great dealer and Les remembered me after a whole year had passsed after my first purchase from them. And it was on the phone not face to face. They know so much about t/ts that you would be daft not to at least ring them. They also do second hand t/ts. I have had a Michel deck for 19 years without a single fault. At times it went a year or two without being played because it was in storage and it still worked fine. I also have a Pink Triangle and although over 10 years old still works like a dream (bought second hand from Walrus) Bottom line is that you get much, much more for your money if you buy second hand, and you should be ok if you buy from a dealer. Buying privately take care and ask here for advice. I would go for a second hand Michell Gyro, especially as it is still in production. A t/t service should cost not more than £35 carried out by Michell or a good dealer.

Best of luck

DominicT

dominicT, Jun 20, 2003
  12. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

STOP THE PRESS!

look what walrus has got in at £695. Alright, thats £195 more than you wanted to spend, but you get a deck you wouldnt (or shouldnt be hankering to change. The interspace IMHO is nearly as good as the spacedeck, and a RB300 and Sumiko cart is quite a lot of juicy icing on the cake. It looks like it might be ex dem, or maybe nearly new.

[​IMG]

Get it quick if you want it Donut my friend, I think this will go in less than a week, again IMHO.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2003
  13. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

dammit, cant get the image thing to work. a bottle of wine is to blame. Hope u can follow it just the same. perhaps a learned friend more sober than myself can have a try.

Chow.

bottleneck, Jun 20, 2003
  14. Donut

LiloLee, Jun 20, 2003
  15. Donut

sideshowbob Trisha

Worth contacting them, but that page hasn't been updated since March, so it's probably already gone...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 20, 2003
  16. Donut

Donut

Thanks for all your feedback guys but £500 is absolute max as I was initially looking at the RPM4 (£350) as my benchmark
    Donut

Donut, Jun 21, 2003
  17. Donut

Bob McC living the life of Riley

begging to differ

Lord Summit
    The Heybrook TTs was a great deck, especially with its later dedicated power supply, but not in LP12 territory. If Linn 'nicked' the LP12 from anywhere it was the Ariston RD11S.
    By the way Donut I wouldn't touch a new Thorens deck. You're much better off with a Rega.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2003
    Bob McC, Jun 21, 2003
  18. Donut

Who of course nicked it from AR.
    [​IMG]

LiloLee, Jun 22, 2003
  19. Donut

lordsummit moderate mod

Aaaahhhh my memories getting a little hazy, need a nap, need a nap............

lordsummit, Jun 22, 2003
  20. Donut

michaelab desafinado

Here you go:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Hmm, maybe not :inferno: Will have to figure out what's going on here....

EDIT 2: Very odd - it would appear that the filename of the .jpg file is too long somehow. vBulleting is inserting a space before "Nottingham" which isn't there and somehow not parsing the img tag. There's an "allow dynamic URLs for IMG tags" option which I tried turning on but that made no difference either.

Even the URL that Lee posted gets mangled :confused:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 22, 2003
Ask a Question