thread about cars - new renault megane ("shaking that ass")

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by robert_cyrus, Aug 21, 2003.

1. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

does anyone out there by chance own (or drive) a new renault megane ?

if you answer "yes" to above - do you like it ?

i'm considering a .... "hatch expression 1.6 VVT 5 dr"

thanks, Robert

robert_cyrus, Aug 21, 2003
  2. robert_cyrus

julian2002 Muper Soderator

sorry but the new meganne is the automotive equivalent of a baboon. it's meant to be uber safe but i wouldn't drive one if you gave it to me (i'd sell it and buy something else).

cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 21, 2003
  3. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Go for the excellent turbodiesel version instead, and experience the benefits of superior performance, pulling power and fuel economy. The engine in the turbodiesel is a powerful and refined common rail diesel that makes infinetly more sense than a 1.6 litre petrol car IMO.

PBirkett, Aug 21, 2003
  4. robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus

hadn't thought of going diesel

so u'd prefer the
    HATCH EXPRESSION 1.9 DCI 120 - 6 SPEED 5dr
    to the
    HATCH EXPRESSION DCI 80 5dr
    top one is 120 bhp vs 80, 0-16 4 secs quicker (10 not 14), fuel economy is lower, max torque is 300 vs 185
    the petrol 1.6 is 115 bhp, max torque 152

so paul, 1.6 petrol vs diesel, diesel is better ? i.e. more grunt ?
    plus diesel is more economical. fuel consumption - urban is 32 for petrol, diesel is 51 !
    price difference is £150 more for the diesel.

robert_cyrus, Aug 21, 2003
  5. robert_cyrus

pauls correct in suggesting that the diesel makes more sense than the petrol. thing with diesels is that although the 0-60 times are only ok the in gear times are very good thanks to all that torque.

still think it looks like a baboon though.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 21, 2003
  6. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Turbodiesels dont look that impressive performers on paper, but that doesnt even begin to describe the story. Basically, they have huge amounts of urge, exactly where you need them - low down in the rev range. You put your foot down, and they go like stink in the midrange. They are a little slower off the mark than a petrol car, but at sub 10 seconds 0-60 its hardly a slouch is it? Overtaking will be a breeze, and overall it will make a more relaxing driving experience, as well as giving you constant 50+ MPG even if you like driving fast.

Theres a very good chance my next car will be a Turbodiesel (the only petrol car that I can afford that gives similar in gear urge and economy is the VW Lupo GTI).

PBirkett, Aug 21, 2003
  7. robert_cyrus

td cars do take a bit of getting used to as the engine characteristics are very different from a petrol engine. biggest is the fact that most only rev up to about 4000 rpm. on a petrol car this is usually about where things get interesting. so you initially tend to work the gearbox too much, not realising that you can pull away in 3rd gear so you don;t need to change down to get the oomph you need. you do adapt pretty quick though.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 21, 2003
  8. robert_cyrus

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I'm with Julian - it's a FUGLY. Paul - you put one on your site yet? I mean, it ranks up there with the worst - like the Chrysler PT Cruiser (overtook one on my bike yesterday he eh he!) and that "squashed frog" people carrier (who makes that?). Simply grim.

OH - and it's French... ;)

domfjbrown, Aug 21, 2003
  9. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Dom, as I actually think they look ok :p, it might not be getting a place on there. Actually though, my website is being completely re-written from scratch, so as an OT point, anyone who's systems are on the site presently, and which I know to be out of date, they can give me some new photos and equipment list, or I will take them off....

PBirkett, Aug 21, 2003
  10. robert_cyrus

lordsummit moderate mod

Am most definitely a diesel fan. They feel much quicker than they look on paper, in gear acceleration is ton's better, and best of all I get about 60mpg from mine or 55 with the air-con on. You do have to cover a fair few miles a year to make up for the extra purchasing cost. Road tax is only £115 on mine as well, and insurance is cheaper!

lordsummit, Aug 21, 2003
  11. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Which diesel have you got? Let me take a guess, its one of the VAG group cars (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)??

PBirkett, Aug 21, 2003
  12. robert_cyrus

lordsummit moderate mod

Fair shout Paul, it is one of the VAG one's. A black Skoda Octavia 110bhp TDi. Superb vehicle, every bit as well constructed as the VW Passat IMHO, and Seat don't do an estate. It is w/o doubt the best car I've ever owned and I've done a few:)
    I agree with whoever it was said the BX was a good car. I had one of the 16v GTi's, awesome and never broke down, it was the sunroof that killed it, it dumped about a gallon of water over the mother in law, something had to be done.............

lordsummit, Aug 21, 2003
  13. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Regarding Shitroens, it was mainly the Xantia and XM that gave it a bad name, with regular failing of its suspension system and other gizmo's.

Most modern shitroens however, are simply known for being uncomfortable, cheaply and shoddily made, and hideously ugly.

PBirkett, Aug 21, 2003
  14. robert_cyrus

Hex Spurt

I like the looks of the new Megane. IMO Renault got it right with this one whereas the Vel Satis and Avantime just look odd.

Father-in-Law is considering the Megane or the Mini as a replacement for his 3yr old Focus. He had a Scenic before the Ford and was very pleased with that. Test drove the new Megane and says it drives better than the Focus. I think he really wants the Mini though, so the heart might rule this decision.

Hex Spurt, Aug 22, 2003
  15. robert_cyrus

lordsummit moderate mod

Be warned past Meganes have a terrible record for reliability, drive shafts, gear boxes, and wishbones are all fragile. The gearboxes are known to disintigrate, and the electrics are iffy. I have a mate in the trade, he reckons that if you want reliability you need to go for either something Japanese or one of the VAG products

lordsummit, Aug 22, 2003
  16. robert_cyrus

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Interesting! I've had my seven year old Megane for 5 years now and I haven't had any of the problems you mention. I have had a few though.

The stereo packed up, but then that's not Renault's fault. We can blame Phillips for that one I think.

A vacuum hose came loose which caused some misfiring and destroyed the catalytic converter because I didn't get it fixed quickly enough but that was just bad luck and could happen on any car.

It developed a small crack in the exhaust manifold. Again bad luck and easily repaired.

It's had two new wheel bearings but that's probably a reflection of the way I drive :shame:

On the whole it's been a good car and I've enjoyed owning it. It is refreshingly free of squeaks and rattles even after 55,000 miles. In fact it is the only car I've owned that has been free of squeaks and rattles. It goes well (1.6 petrol), handles well (thankyou Michelin), has a comfortable ride, is economical, cheap to insure and looks good too.

I'm certainly considering the new one as a possible replacement.

Chris

technobear, Aug 22, 2003
  17. robert_cyrus

badchamp Thermionic Member

My GF had an old shape Megane (would go within 200yds of the new shape yeeeuuuck) wasn't that impressed, not comfortable at all or much fun to drive. I was surprised cos my sisters old 11 was IMHO a much better car, and her Laguna's have been very comfy and easy to drive

badchamp, Aug 22, 2003
  18. robert_cyrus

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

OK dude - will try to get some new photos and description to you soon since my other one was way out of date (we never did get the images to go to you via email did we!?)

domfjbrown, Aug 22, 2003
  19. robert_cyrus

PBirkett VTEC Addict

OK mate no probs, cookiemonster and isaac, that goes for yous two as well, you upgrade-heeds! :D

PBirkett, Aug 22, 2003
  20. robert_cyrus

cookiemonster

I'll get 'em to you next Wed PB. It's been static now for a few weeks, so i think i can risk it.

cookiemonster, Aug 22, 2003
Ask a Question