To Twist or Not to Twist?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by BlueMax, Jul 25, 2004.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax

Thanks to a forum member, I got some Teflon coated pure silver wire for making interconnect.

It has no screening. Would it help to twist the two wires together to protect against EMI/RFI or should I add some sort of screening to it?

BlueMax, Jul 25, 2004
  2. BlueMax

thespirit3

I believe if you use three wires, you can create a kind of 'braid' - which is semi-balanced (not properly balanced - as obviously the phono connectors are unbalanced) - but, it rejects any interference which is common to two wires, much like a balanced system.

I'm not sure how this is done - but am sure I've read something in the past. Perhaps others can comment on this ... I'm sure someone will know what I'm talking about.

With regards to 'shielding' it - wrapping it in tinfoil and then heatshrinking it (for example) might work, but would probably do odd things with the impedence.

Steve

thespirit3, Jul 26, 2004
  3. BlueMax

BlueMax

I have PTFE tubing to insert the cable and self-adhesive aluminium foil (Maplin KW30). If the foil is applied over the tube will it still change the impedence? Does it need to be connected to the earth at the source end?

BlueMax, Jul 26, 2004
  4. BlueMax

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

BM,

Twist the wire 'Hence the term twisted pair'. run this method first use the tube suppiled try them. you may be yet surprised. :)

wadia-miester, Jul 26, 2004
  5. BlueMax

mudgey

You might try this first. twist the positive and earth tightly for one channel, do the same for the other channel, then keep them spaced apart 1/2 - 1".
    I did this with my Belden copper wire without braid and think it is great.
    :)

mudgey, Aug 7, 2004
  6. BlueMax

BlueMax

WM supplied me with some PTFE tube to put the twisted wire in. I can rig up a spacer of some sort to keep the LH and RH separated by a fixed length.

How tight is tight? How many twists, per say 10cm?

Cheers!

PS.
    I am thinking of getting a set of Eichmann Bullets. Which supplier is best for price?

Any other plugs worth considering?

BlueMax, Aug 7, 2004
  7. BlueMax

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Bluemax, for Eichmann bullets I'd suggest www.hificables.co.uk who have them for £26.49 which includes UK delivery. Or these guys http://www.the-missing-link.net/prod03.htm have them for £25 inclusive of delivery plus they'll give you some silver solder with them. These were the cheapest prices I could find online. I certainly felt they were worth the money when I made my interconnect. I'm sure other members can give you some alternatives.

BL21DE3, Aug 7, 2004
  8. BlueMax

mudgey

Blue Max,

At least 4 twists per 10cm. I bought my bullet plugs from " take five audio " in Canada.

www.takefiveaudio.com.

Bob

mudgey, Aug 9, 2004
  9. BlueMax

BlueMax

Thanks Bob

I have thought of ordering cables and stuff from www.takefiveaudio.com and http://audiyo.com, another very comprehensive DIY source, also in Canada.

Did you get clobbered with Import Duty, VAT and Admin Fee of the carrier?

Job CF

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2004
    BlueMax, Aug 9, 2004
  10. BlueMax

mudgey

BlueMax,

No I live in London Canada, about 80 miles from Take Five, so I can't help with duty and such. They are excellent to deal with.

Bob

mudgey, Aug 10, 2004
  11. BlueMax

BlueMax

Hi guys :)
    I first thought Eichmann Bullets are too expensive thinking that the price is for a pair not for a set of four. Three of days ago got a set from Mark at http://www.the-missing-link.net. £25 for a set of four incl delivery and a good supply of silver solder, free. Found him to be knowledgeable and very helpful. Highly recommended. :)

Finished the project yesterday. The Bullets are not as fiddly as some people make out. Not with the cables I was using anyway. The I/C it sounds better than anything else I got. Much cleaner/purer and balanced sound. Not top heavy as some people say about silver.

Thanks everyone for their advice and tips.
    And many thanks WM for the cable. Now, what do I do with that VDC 211-410 ? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
    BlueMax, Aug 20, 2004
  12. BlueMax

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Good stuff BM,

Are you saying you can hear a difference between what you have made and your previous i/c you were using? surely not ;) Now is usually where the bug bites :D atb Wm

wadia-miester, Aug 20, 2004
Ask a Question