Tones, I need your help again

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Sir Galahad, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Tones, if I may,

Zweitansendeins is advertising Mozart's complete works as follows,

Mozart, W.A. "DIE EDITION VOL. 1-26"
    Die komplette Mozart-Edition von Brilliant Classics auf 170 CDs zusammen im Paket. Achtung: Restposten! Wir raten besser gleich zu bestellen. ADD/DDD. Brilliant Classics. 170 CDs statt 286,74 nur 98,99 EUR

where the word Achtung caught my attention. Would you be so kind as to tell me what they are saying?

Also do you have any idea where I could find the detailed contents of the offer. Do you (or anyone else on ZG) know anyting about it?

Thanks a lot to all

Sir Galahad, Oct 13, 2005
  2. Sir Galahad

titian

Hi I'm not Tones but can help you nevertheless. :D
    The traduction of this the following text is further down.

"Mozart, W.A. "DIE EDITION VOL. 1-26"
    Die komplette Mozart-Edition von Brilliant Classics auf 170 CDs zusammen im Paket. Achtung: Restposten! Wir raten besser gleich zu bestellen. ADD/DDD. Brilliant Classics. 170 CDs statt 286,74 nur 98,99 EUR"

Mozart, W.A. "THE EDITION VOL. 1-26"
    The complete Mozart-Edition from Brilliant Classics on 170 CDs together in a box. Pay attention: these are the last ones! We advise to immediately order. ADD/DDD. Brilliant Classics. 170 CDs instead of 286,74 only 98,99 EUR.

I hope I helped you and that you will forgive eventual mistakes. :D

titian, Oct 13, 2005
  3. Sir Galahad

Thanks Titian, I do French into English should you ever need it... :)

Sir Galahad, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Sir Galahad

titian

Je parle aussi un peu de français.
    Merçi beaucoup pour ton offert.
    J'ai maintenant vue que tu abite à Paris.
    Peut être que je viens avec ma familie te visiter. :)

Je te ne remercie pas pour ton idee de acheter le Mozart édition parce que j'ai ordonné plus de 200 CDs. :mad:

Regarde ce que ça coûte les CDs de Teldec (entre Teldec dans "suche"). :yikes:

bonne soirée

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
    titian, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Sir Galahad

Dev Moderator

Show off!

Dev, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Sir Galahad

tones compulsive cantater

Sorry, Sir G., I've only just noticed this (been busy), but Titian has looked after you.

tones, Oct 14, 2005
  7. Sir Galahad

titian

tones,
    just look at the prices for Teldec CDs! (less than 5€!)
    Also the gardiner Cantatas (DGG, Archiv) are selling for less than 7€!!!

Dev: :D

titian, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Sir Galahad

Thanks, Titian, but I'm now collecting the Gardiner SDG* series - the DG ones are good, but most of them weren't made on the 2000 Cantata Pilgrimage (some are about 10 years older).

I got and watched this yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I know it's little but it was the best I could find. It's a DVD of Gardiner rehearsing one of the cantatas. Very interesting. Gardiner has a reputation for being somewhat of a tyrant (not on show) and a stickler for accuracy and only the best (very much on show). The only real indication that things are not always sweet and rosy is the discussion with lead trumpeter Mark Bennett (and Bennett's comments to the camera afterwards). But it clearly gets results.

On the subject of languages, it was impressive how Gardiner would speak German to the tenor and Italian to the contralto. Clever guy as well as great musician.

* "Soli Deo Gloria" (to the glory of God alone, the way Bach signed off his cantata scores, and not, despite persistent rumours, "Sod Deutsche Grammophon!")

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
    tones, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Sir Galahad

Thanks to all and merci to Titian ;)

Does anyone have an opinion on the content of said "Komplete" Works?

Sir Galahad, Oct 14, 2005
  10. Sir Galahad

I've never heard any of Brilliant's Mozart works, but I do have their complete Bach cantata set and it's not bad. Some performances are excellent, some are so-so, and I'd expect the Mozart edition to be the same - and at that price you can't miss.

tones, Oct 14, 2005
  11. Sir Galahad

Thanks Tones, yes, these complete works things usually contain hidden treasures as well as leftovers. Good enough for the car in any case.

12. Sir Galahad

titian

Listenin through the complete Mozart Edition of Philips on LPs I listened to really great music (for example Divertimenti and Serenades) which ought to be heard at home on good Hifis to be able to apreciate the beauty of these works. I would say that these Cds are more than good enough for the car.
    :D

titian, Oct 14, 2005
  13. Sir Galahad

pe-zulu

But to overcome to listen to it all, you have to listen all day round, in the car of course, at work, and when you eat, yes even at night when you sleep.
    :cool:

pe-zulu, Oct 14, 2005
  14. Sir Galahad

Active Hiatus

I bought some of the Mozart Symphonies and the Epistle sonatas on Brilliant. The sound was reasonable and the performances were good but perhaps not exeptional. They were performed by respected HIP orchestras and conductors including Jaap ter Linden who is better known as a viola da gamba playter. Well worth the money.

Active Hiatus, Oct 14, 2005
  15. Sir Galahad

Actually this was said in jest as although I do own a car, I hardly ever drive ... I work from home and cycle more than I drive and ride trains for long distance travel.

16. Sir Galahad

Titian, I had to eat my words. I was in Musik Hug, Basel, on Saturday, and a previous listener had left a couple of the DG Gardiner cantata CDs there. I didn't have one of these, so I put it on out of curiosity - and was completely bowled over. In BWV105 "Herr, gehe nicht ins Gericht" there's a tenor aria "Kann ich nur Jesum mir zum Freunde machen". I know it well, but I've never heard it played with such bounce and style! It was embarrassing; there was I grooving along and probably moaning out loud! (Whoever said that Bach didn't rock?) I had to have it, so an order went into Zweitausendeins last night.

So, thank you for the tip. When it comes up in the SDG series (and it will, as it was a live recording made on the Pilgrimage), I promise you that this DG one shall be yours!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
    tones, Oct 16, 2005
  17. Sir Galahad

titian

Tones,
    just for a precisation, zweitausendundeins is selling a doubble Cd of the SDG series for much less that what it usually cost:

Bach, J.S. "CANTATAS VOL. 8: Bremen/Santiago."
    (CD 1: For the Fifteenth Sunday after Trinity - BWV 138, 99, 51, 100; CD 2: For the Sixteenth Sunday after Trinity - BWV 161, 27, 8, 95) Mit Malin Hartelius, Katharine Fuge, Mark Padmore, James Gilchrist, Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists/J.E. Gardiner. Liveaufnahmen von der "Bach Cantata Pilgrimage" in Bremen und Santiago de Compostela 2000. Mit Textbeilage in Deutsch und Englisch. DDD. SDG. 2005. 2 CDs 24,99 EUR. Nr. 60991.

I didn't get any of Gardiner's Bach Cds because I ordered over other 250 CDs. :rolleyes:
    But I suppose next week I will order them. :rolleyes: :newbie:

When you ordered did you ask to deduct the MWST?
    If you order again I would also recommend to get the Teldec CD with "Il Giardino Armonico": I just came back from a concert with them and it was simply great. I had also a 15-20 minutes talk with the conductor (Antonini) and had a nice discussion about interpreting Italian baroque music and of course his way of playing it. Also we had brievly talked about the influence of the italian barocco in Händel and Bach.

titian, Oct 16, 2005
  18. Sir Galahad

pe-zulu

Are you serious? When do you hope to have the time to listen to all that. Look at me, I am more modest, recently I ordered only 100 CDs. :)

Regards,

pe-zulu, Oct 16, 2005
  19. Sir Galahad

titian

you should never take me serious. :D
    ..even if internaly I am very serious. :rolleyes:

I don't hope to have time... I just take my time, the rest can go to hell. ;)
    I wanted to be even less modest than you but it is Sir G. fault that I bought these CDs and I told him that. So I'm innocent.
    :D

PS: to be exact they are 275. And now I'm going to listen to the next (last) CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
    titian, Oct 16, 2005
  20. Sir Galahad

pe-zulu

Complete Mozart I presume. Philips or Brilliant Classics? Especially if Brilliant some posting now and then might be of great interest to many in the forum. If you manage to listen to it all, before it is out of print. :cool:

pe-zulu, Oct 17, 2005
Ask a Question