Triode connection

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by T-bone Sanchez, Aug 12, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Does anyone have any info on triode connections? Im looking at trying my amp in triode (currently ultralinear). I have an idea how its done but would like to see a diagram before I crash on. Ta.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2005
    T-bone Sanchez, Aug 12, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

What amp? What valves?

Usually disconnect the connection from grid to UL and tie it to anode through a 100ohm 1W resistor. But do get confirmation

LiloLee, Aug 12, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

EL34. I found some info in my favorites file at work. Ive spent most of the day using it in triode and well, ummmmmmm, the jury's out. Everything reads right but it Im not sure, I'll give it a week or so.

T-bone Sanchez, Aug 13, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

You may need to reduce the feedback at touch.

I have to say after comparing triode connected EL34/KT66/KT88 I prefer KT66. I think it's because triode tended to change the signature too much with the others whilst the KT66 was pretty much more or the same.

And I know that the EL34 wasn't around then, but Williamson prefered KT66 triode connected and the Leak 12 point 1, which is considered to be one of the best sounding vintage amps is connected this way.

LiloLee, Aug 13, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

Cloth-Ears

Ah well, speaking as a total technical ignaramous, I must wholeheartedly vouch for triode connection. This, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that I have a triode valve amp for sale, at a fraction of the new price which in turn is a fraction of the price of an equivalent American or British amp. Oh yes, if you can get the servicing done this is the valve amp bargain of the year. I can't be doing with the service hassle myself. Once it is bought I can put the money into speakers for my Exposure amps. So come on then hurry up and buy it !! If you can handle the problem you have yourself an amazing bargain. PM me.

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=9533

Cloth-Ears, Aug 13, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

You wouldnt be selling an amp would you cloth-ears?

Lee, it sort of grew on me yestersay. Theres parts of the music that its clearly better but theres others, espec. when the tempo gets going and theres alot of sound, were it can sound abit more muddled over the ultra linear set-up. Whats quite strange, Ive not noticed a drop in power at my normal listening levels. I shall look into the feeback situ.

T-bone Sanchez, Aug 15, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

Worth changing the fb as the EL34 should be more linear in triode.

LiloLee, Aug 15, 2005
Ask a Question