Tubes to Bryston 5BST

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanl, May 27, 2005.

1. alanl

alanl

I've just won an auction for a Bryston 9BST 5 channel power amp to replace a Bryston 5BST in a home theater for a client and shall now have to sell the 5BST 3 channel amp for him.

As I have not been totally happy with my 4 x 300B Mono block power amps I'm thinking of selling the tube's and keeping the Bryston to drive my ESL-63's Power output is the first thing to mind as my tube amps are 40w and the 5BST is 120w The quads don't seem to be a hard load but must say the tube do start to clip at the volume I listen at.

As for the extra channel I could soon add a surround receiver for movies and could drive the center channel with it.

What do you guys think? are bryston amps worth all their hype? would I regret sell the tubes?

Alan

alanl, May 27, 2005
  2. alanl

Fen Dancer Two left feet

After tubes they'll be very detailed, good bass and bright.

Fen Dancer, May 27, 2005
  3. alanl

alanl

"Bright" is the major problem I'm having with the 300B amps now! the mid and bass from tube amps is great. Everyone that has heard my system always comments that the sound is not like what they think tubes and quad ESL's should sound like.

Shall have to wait till next week to find out.

alanl, May 27, 2005
  4. alanl

merlin

It won't have anything like the detail available from a good 300b amp, the bass will be antiseptic and tighter than a nun's ch... and it will sound dull not bright.

Of course you will deny all of this and convince yourself you have made a good move for a while before reality dawns and you quietly ship on the Bryston and return to valves.

All in IMVHO of course!

merlin, May 27, 2005
  5. alanl

Tenson Moderator

I think you will get varied opinions because they kinda 'see through'. Very much like people say about ATC actives (though I am not saying they sound alike) it all depends on your other equipment.

In my system they are very very detailed and ya pretty clinical. Although they are clinical they are still very lively and fun, it mainly depends on the recording. They can go from smooth and refined to being a big ballsy power house in the change of a CD.

Tenson, May 27, 2005
  6. alanl

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

I have a 4BSST. Thinking of getting a pair of 7BSST monoblocks with a valve pre amp, maybe AR. This will be a good overall balance. I found my 4 pretty neutral really. I like Bryston. Mind you I don't mind ATC either, so you may ignore me.

pauldixonuk, May 27, 2005
  7. alanl

midlifecrisis Firm member

Go for it. I've got just that - an ARC LS25 pre with the 7BSSTs and the combo works very well.

midlifecrisis, May 27, 2005
  8. alanl

Fen Dancer Two left feet

I agree they need valves up the front - my 4bst is great with BAT stuff. But before that it sounded sharp

Fen Dancer, May 27, 2005
  9. alanl

Tenson Moderator

Just to add, I also use a valve pre-amp, it really improved the soundstage amoung other things.

Tenson, May 27, 2005
  10. alanl

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I'd say go for it...
    I went from a pair of Lumley 120w valve monblocks, which were lovely, to a Bryston 14BSST with Bow Warlock SE pre.
    The difference was a huge increase in detail and dynamics, and almost more importantly, speed. Basically they seemed to see more music, rather than through the slight rose tintedness of the valves. And I wouldn't say they're bright - more neutral with serious bass grip..
    And they've got a 20 year transferable guarantee which is about the best in the business!

leonard smalls, May 27, 2005
  11. alanl

Those BAT were on my wish list too. Great lookers. However I prefer the idea of AR having only two valves to replace, rather than 8 or so. In fact they're the exact same Russian military spec ones as found in BAT. A good sign no doubt.

Recently I've been told I simply *must* hear some AVI kit, before I dive into AR ownership. A guy I just finished speaking to runs multiple Bryston power amps into the mega PMC MB2, using an AVI cdp and solid state pre. He reckons it's a front end that's beaten off £40k alternatives. Even lovely valves - the cheek of it! AVI also mention a lot of AR owners defect to them. Seems far too good to be true considering their tiny price tags, but I'll check out their mad claims soon enough. I half expect them to be like ATC's CA2 preamp bargain - flat and unexciting. Can ss be as good?

The full AVI front is an alternative to bargain benchmark dac1 ownership or the pricey AR CD3mk2. Back end will be PMC IB2's I expect. This week anyway

pauldixonuk, May 27, 2005
  12. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Alan,

I know you've got some huge distances down under, but is it possible to hear the amp before you buy it?

I mean, the amps you have might not be right for you, but whos to say if this will be better?

Im in a similar position myself, and I've decided to buy something sight-unheard, - but my proviso is simply that it must have a second hand value equal to or greater than what Im paying for it.

I dont think experimenting per se is so bad, as long as you dont financially cripple yourself in the process!

Just some thoughts.

By the way, Ive played with quite a few valve amps, and many of them sound very different to each other. I wouldnt discard the technology altogether.

Have you heard a bryston in your system then, or any other amps you definately do like?

Sorry for the meandering post..

bottleneck, May 27, 2005
  13. alanl

Tenson, how far do you have your PMC's from the rear wall? How close can you move them before the bass gets muddled?

pauldixonuk, May 28, 2005
  14. alanl

yogus

Alan

There's a place in Sydney (Electronic Enterprises, Gordon) that sells both Quad and Brystons if you want to have a quick listen.

However, they've recently been selling more PMCs than Quads.

yogus, May 28, 2005
  15. alanl

merlin

That'll be Australians for you.

merlin, May 28, 2005
  16. alanl

Robbo

Personally, I'd say its all realative to the quality of the tube amp you are used to. A really good tube amp is none of these things.

Robbo, May 28, 2005
  17. alanl

alanl

Good Idea, small problem, I also own a small audio business in Sydney and compete for sales with the guy's from EE's they are friendly but not that friendly. Selling more PMC's the guys are def thay also sell Meridian.

I'm not selling the tubes just yet! The Bryston 5BST is a trade-in from a client so shall have plenty of time to listen in my system. My question was based on what people think about the match of Bryston with Quad ESL's.

alanl, May 28, 2005
  18. alanl

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I'd say the Lumley was a decent tube amp - it was certainly blessed with very little of the traditional valve amp virtues on my old Radford ST25, or a pair of Quad 2s I had; compared to them the Lumleys were positively bright and very detailed!
    The Bryston really had it in the dynamics, both in the thwack of a bass drum, and in the individual space around an acoustic instrument.. I'd say the Bryston is subjectively 5% better than the Lumleys - which isn't exactly good in terms of investment!

leonard smalls, May 28, 2005
  19. alanl

Tenson Moderator

I have them 25cm from the rear wall and 15cm from the side walls. I have two large panel bass traps right behind each speaker in the corners though so that really helps. Actually they are that far from the bass traps and the walls are about 4" further back again. There are another two traps that run right across the ceiling above them as well.

Being further back they don't get muddled, the bass appears more 'powerful' (not more bassy though oddly) they shake the room more. However this is at the expense of tightness and speed so I found this is about the best mixture between them. They are front ported as well so that helps minimise the effects.

Tenson, May 28, 2005
  20. alanl

Tenson, thanks for the pic - looking good there. They are pretty close then.

When I demo'd the IB2 they were about 1 metre from all walls, so pretty intrusive. Just been talking to a guy who has the MB2, and he reckons they must be 65cm from the walls minimum, or the bass gets messy. He reckons 2m is great, but pretty ott!

Do those bass traps make much difference then? I've never seen or heard any. All new to me. If it means the IB2's could be moved closer to walls then I'll be much happier! Do you have any links for reviews, suppliers etc? Thanks a lot.

pauldixonuk, May 28, 2005
Ask a Question