Tubes to Bryston 5BST

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanl, May 27, 2005.

1. alanl

yogus

Which store? Maybe I've walked in once?? :)

I must be deaf.. I own PMCs. :D

yogus, May 28, 2005
  2. alanl

alanl

Hi Yogus,

I don't have a shop front that you would have been in. I run a custom audio and high-end hi-fi business and only trade via word of mouth and offer very personal service to a small select list of clients. Been in the audio industry for 25+ years and still have many of my old clients on the up-grade loop.

Funny PMCs are very good sounding speakers just IMO not as good as Quad's, but hey thats Hi-Fi for you.

Audio Connection have a pair of PMC FB1 in their trade-ins area for $2500.00

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2005
    alanl, May 29, 2005
  3. alanl

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

It depend what you want in a speaker. Quads have marginally finer tops but PMC have far superior lower reigons. Quads are ok for the older generation.

:SLEEP:

pauldixonuk, May 29, 2005
  4. alanl

anon_bb Honey Badger

avi

Paul I dont have the avi cdp and pre. I have a custom built pre and a PT decapo dac. I previously owned the AVI pre and have heard it in quite a few systems and dems along with the avi cdp. They are real giant killers. Small world again!

Three wya pmc beat quad. Cheaper pmc 2 ways dont have the same advantage at their price point.

anon_bb, May 30, 2005
  5. alanl

The Devil IHTFP

MacDonald's sell a lot of hamburgers, too.

The Devil, May 30, 2005
  6. alanl

Tenson Moderator

Except for Quad electrostatics I wouldn't have thought Quad would have a patch on PMC except maybe their lowest models. I would also think the electrostatics are so different from PMC that its not worth comparing... they are for different types of music.

Tenson, May 30, 2005
  7. alanl

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Or more for people who prefer a different presentation to each other.

:)

bottleneck, May 30, 2005
  8. alanl

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Quads are not so different from my previous wilson benesch speakers. They were rather detailed, delicate, a touch forward in the highs. Some may think too bright. Not bad bass, but nothing to get excited about. Small-ish scale sound. Fine if you listen to quieter music.

The best PMC's have similar detail but it's not so obviously in your face, being smoother and more natural. Their massive scale and unreal low end impact, authority and control put them in a different ballpark. If you like loud / realistic sound levels it's an easy choice.

Chalk and cheese really. Depends how old you are or what mood your in. Also, how much space you have!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2005
    pauldixonuk, May 30, 2005
  9. alanl

anon_bb Honey Badger

Pmc

PMC plays all music equally well - thats why I bought them. Quad ESL may have certain advatages on classical say but they also have marked disadvatages so that even on the Quad ESL strongest genre the PMC still sound ebtter overall. The three way PMCs from the IB1 upwards that is.

anon_bb, May 30, 2005
Ask a Question