Turntable help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jul 16, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have a project dubut II with the original ORTOFON OM5 CARTRIDGE and 5e stylus. I also have a an Ortofon OM10 cartridge and stylus which I bought for an old dual I had years ago which sadly broke (my project replaced this).

I have changed the stylus of my project to the OM10 but I can't tell any difference in sound quality. The OM10 cartridge costs £12 more than the OM5.

I am considering changing the cartridge of my project to my Super OM10. The bodies look identical, the weight seems to be same so does that mean I would be able to swap cartridges without having to change the weight and anti-skate settings?

Also whats the difference between these two cartridges? I can't understand why the stylus can fit so many different cartridges.

amazingtrade, Jul 16, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

zanash

I suspect the price difference comes from the quality of the moving magnets in the body. The stylus might also be of a different profile.

The same tracking weight well you can probably get away with it. But its best to check weights and skate every time you mess with the arm.....oops guested have arrive got to go ...

zanash, Jul 16, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

zanash

Sorry had to go ........

If you check these two web pages

http://www.lefflershifi.com/Library/Products/Ortofon/SuperOM10.htm

http://www.lefflershifi.com/Library/Products/Ortofon/SuperOM10.htm

You will spot a seires of very subtle differences.

One of which recomends at difference tracking force..... so that answers one of your questions.

The internal inductance is also different so this suggest that the internals of the bodies are different. I would swap the om5 body for the om10super body, to get the best out of that stylus.

zanash, Jul 17, 2003
Ask a Question