Tweaks, Modding etc. - Totally confused

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andrew1810, Jul 29, 2004.

1. andrew1810

andrew1810

Hello all,

I have noticed a lot of threads about tweaks, mains and modding things.

Without sparking up a silly debate can anyone actually say which tweaks work better than others?

Also, what exactly is modding, how can a CD-player be altered?

Thanks

Andrew

andrew1810, Jul 29, 2004
  2. andrew1810

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Hi Andrew, in regards to your question of how a CD player can be modified, to my knowledge there are several components within a CD player that can be 'upgraded'. One of the most popular modifications is the replacement of the CD players clock. You can also provide the new clock circuit with it's own independent power supply to further enhance the performance of the upgrade. You could also modify components such as opamps, capacitors and power supply capacitors to improve the players performance. You can also dampen the chassis of the CD player to absorb vibration as well as adding mass to the case and transport mechanism to provide the same function.

As for a defintive list of which tweaks work better than others, it's all subjective to be honest. What worked to improve the sound in my system could well do nothing for yours. If you want a list of some tweaks you could try have a look at this link http://www.audiotweaks.com/collection_ascend.htm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
    BL21DE3, Jul 29, 2004
  3. andrew1810

andrew1810

I see, thanks.

Does anyone know about Audiocom mods, it all seems very expensive, does it make much of a difference?

Andrew

andrew1810, Jul 29, 2004
  4. andrew1810

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

My own upgrade path has been done purely on a VFM or 'sound per pound' kind of basis.

Its a difficult call sometimes, but often its better to change an item for a second hand alternative rather than spend money modifying existing kit.

Also worth bearing in mind is that more expensive kit (if bought) will have a higher residiual value for future upgrades and modifications add little to the second hand residual value of items.

All the best
    Chris

bottleneck, Jul 30, 2004
  5. andrew1810

thespirit3

In my opinion ... it's probably worth doing the following cheap mods:

1) Upgrade PSU (check for ripple, check it's providing adequate current, add shielding etc)
    2) Add additional screening (either around individual parts of the PCB or the case as a whole
    3) Dampen the case (although, in a CD player - the benefits are questionable)

It's also worth upgrading the clock, but that starts taking it out of 'cheap' upgrades, and into what I'd consider the mid-price bracket. The 'cheap' upgrades I mention above can probably be done for a few quid. At that point, if you can't notice any difference after the mods - at least you've not wasted much time/money.

Most low to mid range kit is built quite well - but they still often have to compromise components on cost. It's only when you start getting into high end gear, that they start using the best components throughout.

Of course, there's also more dubious cheap upgrades - like flooding the CD area with blue light ... but again, it's cheap enough to give it a go.

At least that's my impression from the limited experience I have with these things.

Edited: Also, forgot to mention, as electronic equipment ages - things like capacitors are known to become less effective. You may not notice the changes over time - but replacing basic things like caps, may make a huge difference. However, I'm probably talking about equipment > 10 years old here ...
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2004
    thespirit3, Jul 30, 2004
  6. andrew1810

Lt Cdr Data om

tbh, largely a lot of the limits are inherent in the std circuit, and its rather like taking an 80 year olds body, and trying to get him fit, rather than a big muscly 25-30 year old.
    The main limit, really is the power supply by and large, things like capacitors and resistors are like a bit of salt or soy sauce on the end of a dish, seasonings.
    Your meat is your psu, and the way that is implemented, and there isn't a huge amount you can do, short of rebuilding the whole darn thing.
    Regulators, noise, all that.
    That is assuming the rest of the circuitry is competant, again the issue is with the big items, dacs and filter chips, if you have a cheap one, its limits are such that there is only so much that can be done.
    Just buy a new expensive one is my ethos now.

I suppose to attempt to classifiy it:

1. simple hardware changes...nice gold sockets, plugs, all that.
    2. next perhaps comes a mains lead
    3. capacitors, these are rife for changing, black gates, oscons, silmics, then your plastic types. I have teflons in my valve amp and love em.
    for psu, regulators, bypassing, decoupling, stability.

add in clock alterations here.

4. resistors, forget it in a solid state item.
    5. regulators, going into the psu arrangements.

add in new mains transformer here...

in a cd player, you can fairly easily change the current to volts conversion out of a multibit dac, the options are, opamps, discrete circuitry, single resistor!!! or even special I-V transformer, sowter make them.
    6. op-amp changes, make sure they are compatible, best are burr brown, analogue devices, and linear technology.
    7. total rebuild of circuitry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 30, 2004
  7. andrew1810

BlueMax

BlueMax, Jul 30, 2004
Ask a Question