Unity gain buffer amplifier.

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MO!, Jul 12, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Seen this over on ebay HERE

Anyone any experience with these? Would a BIY project be a bit ambitious? The gauntlet is down to the resident BIY`eads....

Their homepage is HERE. They also do a full range of components.

The page for their6 buffers is HERE

[​IMG]

I've got a rough idea of what the idea in it is, and seems like a good one. Not sure exactly how it works or the theory but have seen some good reviews of the MF X10D in the past.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2003
    MO!, Jul 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. MO!

zanash

Looks a bit complcated ....in the sense that simple is better. Pretty looking thing but if I read the purpose correctly its to stop nasties from procceding along the audio chain.
    If that the case the solution must lie else were or with the componets that are introducing the nasties.

Didn't MF do something along the same lines ?

Now intresting thing is I've been half heartedly look at just such a solution, so in the not too distant future I'll post my findings ...if they work. But suffice to say it will be a shoe string solution with real gains like the "isotrans"

zanash, Jul 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. MO!

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

The item in question is a buffer amp. A buffer amp provides high input impedance & low output impedance. This is needed to offer source components an easy load to drive & output to give good drive capabilites for the load in question. This load would be the interconnect cable & the input impedance of the power amp. The amp in question is a unity gain version. The gain will be 1 but is usually less than 1. Good load driving capabilites are needed so you don't get the effect of frequency roll off & filtering with certain cables & power amps.

In an Active preamp you have the inputs & input switching, volume control & a line stage. The line stage consists of a buffer amp & maybe some extra gain.

You can build a buffer amp quite cheaply using an op-amp. Again you can build a valve one quite cheaply. Something like a cathode follower. They can and do get more complex.

MF did bring one out a few years ago & some people like it. But you got to bear in mind that

a) It's an extra component in the signal path. So it will add it's own distortions, non linearities, noise etc to the signal.

b) It may or may not offer better drive than what you are using.

C) You may not like how it sounds.

I hope all this helps.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question