Valve amps with bells and whistles?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Wingnut, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut

I've been thinking of going down the value route for a while now, and I would like to give it a go some time.

Unfortunately, I also want the functionality of solid state amps - remote controlled volume and source switching, and a processor through switch so it run the front speakers if i decide to get a surround sound amp (dunno if this is a good idea with valve amps though)

Also, my speakers are not particularly sensitive Linn Kan IIs, I think about 87dB, so it'll have to be something a bit beefy.

Does anyone know anything that fits the bill, I'd be willing to construct it if required. Oh, the budget, under £1000 if possible.

Cheers,

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 25, 2003
  2. Wingnut

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Forget it.

Valve amps are the domain of stereo only, usually separate pre and power. I have an amp with remote and switching which I bought purely for this and will now start gutting the power side to get a better sound. Robbo has one which sounds great, but cost nearer £2000 2nd hand.

Maybe an AV pre with a valve power amp, in which case look at WAD for the (kit) amp.

LiloLee, Nov 25, 2003
  3. Wingnut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Lee, that site on valves is absolutely ACE.

NB for valves - just got a copy of hifi world..

wilson valves, watford valves, langrex supplies, CVC all supply them by the shitload.

wilson valves and langrex are my favorites but they are all good.

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Wingnut

adam

You could try a second hand Copland cta 402,make sure its a 402 and not a 401,they were £1600 new and should be under a grand second hand,the 402 came with a R/C but im not sure how comprehensive it was,it's a 35watter where as the 401 was 25 with no R/C,they do sound stunning,and have the build of a tank at 28 kg.

adam, Nov 25, 2003
Ask a Question