vinyl noise from om40 stylus

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larrheard, Apr 7, 2004.

1. larrheard

larrheard

I'm currently having trouble with a project 1 xpression and ortofon om40 stylus. since upgrading from the om10 to om40 there seems to be an excessive amount of vinyl noise coming through mainly from the right channel, project even replaced the deck for me but the problem is still evident ,is it possible that the arm problem that ortofon diagnosed has somehow ruined the om40 stylus? or am i just getting a clearer picture of the state of my records, any help would be much appreciated

larrheard, Apr 7, 2004
  2. larrheard

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Have you checked its setup correctly i.e the weight and anti skate settings etc?

The OM40 would probably be slightly heavier even though its an identical body. Have you tried putting the OM10 stylus on the OM40 cartridge. If it plays fine then its your OM40 stylus thats naff, if its still doing it its most likely to be a cartridge fault.

amazingtrade, Apr 7, 2004
  3. larrheard

larrheard

i did try swapping back to the om10 and it sounded slghtly less noisy, but still more noise than i used to get on my old 1210, do you think the set up of the arm/stylus etc could be causing this problem?

larrheard, Apr 8, 2004
Ask a Question