Visit to "Sound of music" in search of high end nirvana

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Today I took a trip out into the wilds to visit the Sound of Music, a dealer I'd never heard of before until I met them at the Heathrow show. Decidedly unassuming building sat just south of Tunbridge Wells, certainly gave no indication of the joys within.

I was very kindly helped by one of their team (owner maybe?), called John, who is definitely one of the nicest chaps I've met in the business. Came across as truly knowledgeable, without the bluster and BS often bandied around.
    As for kit, I've never seen so much high end gear in one place. I believe we counted 7 listening rooms, all big and all full of some awesome kit including the latest Quads, Boulders, MBLs etc etc.

Back to the reason for my visit, I wanted to explore more of what I could get that would take me beyond my existing Bel Canto DAC2 for digital source and Bel Canto Evo2i for amp. As I now have some pretty efficient speakers, seemed to make sense to check out some valve amps.

We started off using an MBL transport driving my DAC 2, via the Evo2i into a pair of speakers that I've never seen before. Ported, and using a ribbon in a seperate treble enclosure, they were apparently of highish efficiency and seemed to sound ok.
    Once warmed up, we swapped in a Bel Canto DAC3. Can't say I thought there was much in it. Seemed to depend on the track as to which I preferred, certainly didn't make me want to get my credit card out. After that we added an Audio Research DAC. Not sure of the model, but it cost a cool £3.5k. Yes it was better, being slightly more natural overall. The problem was the word "slightly". I was definitely not expecting that for the dosh. John's view was that even the £6k DCS wouldn't add much more, so we gave up at that on the source front. At least it saved a whole bunch of dosh.

So, onto the amps.
    John initially wheeled in a far from small DK valve/transistor hybrid that he thought I'd like. I'm sure I recently read a rave review of one.
    Either way, definitely not my cup of tea. After my Evo, sounded like the band had been sucked backwards into a pea soup of sludge (bit of an over-exageration, but I'm sure you get my drift). Reminded me of the presentation style of a big MF amp. Next!

The follow on was a Mastersound 300b, which I believe are Italian made, certainly looked nice and I expected pretty big things of it. Problem was that it sounded VERY similiar to my Evo. Don't ask me to explain that. I know I've heard the BCs compared to valves, but didn't realise they sounded quite that close. Weird. Maybe it was the speakers....
    Either way, the only other amp that John thought my tweak my interest was a Wavac something or other. Never heard of them before. Have now.

Talk about getting your socks blown off. Bloody hell that's good. Unfortunately I was sure that John has said they were £6k a pair. Cough cough! Even that wasn't right. Hadn't quite heard the additional 1 on the front end of the price tag.

I think that I've found the right route for me, but I think I'll be waiting to hear the more affordable 300b version, which is apparently around the £5k mark.

Overall then, a damn good morning. My thanks to John for being an incredibly good host. Didn't really feel like going shopping. Highly recommended shop when you realise that audio-T and the like simply can't meet rising expectations any more.

Better save some pennies now.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 21, 2006
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Tenson Moderator

Sounds of Music's new(ish) place is a bit of gem isn't it. Like toys 'R' us for big-boys :D Everything all under one roof!

John is indeed the owner and a fantastic kind-hearted bloke. He also runs Metropolis Music, the distributor side of things.

Its interesting that the DAC2 was not significantly bettered by other DACs there. You have a DEQ2496 don't you? I compared my modded DEQ to a DAC2 and it very obviously wiped the floor with it. Both Rob and Bitmonkey (if he still hangs around here?) have heard it so maybe that would be a good move for you.

The speakers would have been the Ascendo Z-F3, same tweeter as in AMR's new standmount.

Tenson, Oct 21, 2006
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Tenson,
    Yep, really enjoyed meeting John, and his shop is a positive Aladin's cave. Can't say I was impressed by the speakers, but then I like horns.
    The 2496 looks like being a definite area to investigate, hope to get that modded in the nearish future. Would be nice to be able to "downgrade" to a better sounding source whilst saving money.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 21, 2006
Ask a Question