Vivaldi's Four seasons on LP

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Dom_, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dom_

Dom_ --->

I'm looking to get a copy on LP as the copy i have seems so so.
    It's Zukerman with the English Chamber Orchestra on CBS produced by Paul Myers 1973.

I really have no idea what to look for with classical recordings. I'm happy to buy new or hunt and hunt for second hand if you know of any really good ones.

Dom_, Feb 22, 2006
  2. Dom_

Joolsburger

Too weird, I was searching the web this evening for the definitive vinyl version of this. Perhaps there's something in the Surrey water. You posted my post! Seems that if you want a quality and inexpensive recording you could do much worse than The Acedemy Of St Martin in The Fields with Alan Loveday on Argo. It's about 35 years old, I have a few different copes of this and that one just sounds right to me.

Joolsburger, Feb 22, 2006
  3. Dom_

Dom_ --->

Cheers will have to keep my eye out for that at my regular haunts.

(havn't had any water tonight :))

Dom_, Feb 22, 2006
  4. Dom_

tones compulsive cantater

tones, Feb 23, 2006
  5. Dom_

lordsummit moderate mod

Salvatore Accardo is good, as is Perlman.

lordsummit, Feb 23, 2006
  6. Dom_

finishmysong

I think Ebay is always worth a look for these things - as long as you go with a well established label it's fair to say that the recording you get will be at least reasonably accurate.

finishmysong, Mar 22, 2006
  7. Dom_

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

It's interesting how performances vary. On vinyl, I have:

Alan Loveday - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields under Neville Marriner on Argo Decca (Holland – 1970 ZRG 654 pressing)

Simon Standage - The English Concert under Trevor Pinnock on Polydor ‘Archiv’ Digital (Germany 1982 2534 003 pressing)

Piero Toso - I Solisti Veneti under Claudio Scimone on RCA Erato (England 1973 STU 70679 pressing)

Michel Schwalbé - Berlin Philharmonic under von Karajan on Deutsche Grammaphon (Germany 1972 2530 296 pressing)

Nigel Kennedy - English Chamber Orchestra (HMV DMM Digital Germany 1989 - 7 49557 pressing)

In other words, there are a few around to choose from and usually only £1 or £2 to pick them up

Paul L, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Dom_

Basil

Does anyone have Giulini's 50's recording of the "seasons" from the with the Philharmonia?

Basil, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Dom_

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

there's also the Academy of Ancient Music Christopher Hogwood L'Oiseaul-Lyre Floregium (alas digital recording :( ) which sounds rather nice.

problem for me is I've heard the 4 seasons so often that I can't be bothered listening to them any more. I reach for my crd English Consort double LP of ctos 5-12 instead these days.

kennyk, Mar 24, 2006
  10. Dom_

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

I recognise that problem Kenny, I bet we all do with certain pieces. An SME10 in recent weeks has given my vinyl a new dimension, alas it has arrived at a time when a couple of sides of vinyl per week is an achievement until about June.

Paul L, Mar 24, 2006
Ask a Question