Vynil onto PC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jul 20, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I want to copy a couple of albums on vynil to PC so I can listen to them on holiday next week. What is the best way of doing this? I can connect my laptop to the HIFI and then transer the files onto my desktop via LAN so I can burn them onto CD. Has anybody tried this before and if so what kind of results did you get?

I think I might just save the waveform from the vynil in pure WAV format, to avoid compression, then copy the WAV files straight to CD.

amazingtrade, Jul 20, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

exatley wot i do amazing" 6 pints and im anybodys "trade :D,however ive olny done a track or 2 at a time,if you use something like cool edit you can even iron out some of the pops and crackles(or add them if you wish).i did have an audio cd writer (509) and i couldnt tell the diffrence between copies made on either,ended up geting rid of it because most of the stuff i record needs editing anyway

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2003
    themadhippy, Jul 20, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

MO!, Jul 21, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

HenryT

I have a similar question about transfering an analog source onto CD, except the album I want to transfer is a live recording and so has no natural breaks/silences between each track.

Assuming I just record 1 big .wav file of the entire album onto the HD of my PC (or 2 .wavs, 1 for each side of the album). What's the best or easiest way of getting a CD out at the end of recording process which has invidually numbered/skipable tracks (without silent gaps inbetween each track)??

HenryT, Jul 22, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Harry, you need this little program called CDWav, which is available at www.cdwave.com. Easy to install and absolutely fool proof (even I can use it!). That will allow you to insert track splits wherever you like, and then you can just create a CD in the normal way.

Hope this helps!

ilockyer, Jul 23, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

HenryT

Ian,

Cheers for that. :) Will download and give that software you suggested a go.

Potentially sounds like a lot more fun than manually splitting up a big .wav files yourself in waveform editor try to get the split points right. Did that once for an LP -> CD transcription I did for a mate once and it wasn't fun due to the .wav file being 500 odd meg in size and the PC being so slow that it wasn't spluttering and coughing with the re-draw/sound in an attempt to keep up. All because I couldn't be bothered to stand over the PC and record a new .wav file for each new track.

Was going to ask what CD burning software to use in order to avoid getting silent gaps in-between the tracks, but seem to have found an answer on that website anyway:

http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~mjmlooijmans/cdwave/faq.html

HenryT, Jul 23, 2003
Ask a Question