WAD Phono II

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by blakeaudio, Oct 5, 2005.

1. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

anyone use this / have any experiene with it? how does it compare with the graham slee range or the dynavector p-75?

blakeaudio, Oct 5, 2005
  2. blakeaudio

lordsummit moderate mod

Not heard it but would be an interesting choice. You could also consider quite a few other things at that price, the Loricraft Missing Link can be had 2nd hand if you search, the Dyanavector P-100 can also be found second hand at about £400. Don't forget as well pieces of kit like the Ear phono stage and the Tom Evans Microgroove. When we tried the Loricraft and P-100 against the Whest, there wasn't a clear winner, but we all decided that for what it cost new, the Loricraft was the champion. There's a thread over on PFM called the Phono Stage Spirit Quest. Could be worth your while looking it up.

lordsummit, Oct 5, 2005
  3. blakeaudio

RobHolt Moderator

I built one recently and rate it very highly.

You also need to buy the PSU II which makes it a £330 phono stage kit but it was easy to build.

Typical open, fluid tube sound and low noise into the bargain.

I posted as review with full build pics over on PFM - just search 'WAD Phono II'

Rob.

RobHolt, Oct 5, 2005
  4. blakeaudio

Sid and Coke

What is it like regarding background noise, hiss, gain etc. I've been looking myself at the WAD kits for years now , but have put off taking the plunge. Not too sure what their s/h (re-sale) value would be like if it didn't work out, and £330 isn't eaxxctly small change....

Sid and Coke, Oct 5, 2005
  5. blakeaudio

Anex Thermionic

I think they're fantastic, loads you can do with them, extremely quiet, miles better than the EAR imo and miles better than the ISO I had (possibly have) too. I'd expect to pay a lot of money to beat it

EDIT: Sid- its a MM stage so if you want gain you need step-ups, I've got some 13dB/26dB ones by Lundaal. Also putting battery bias onto the first tube (and second I spose if you really wanted MASSIVE gain) also boosts the gain significantly. Its literally just a case of replace the resistor which runs from the tube pin to earth with a AAA battery.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
    Anex, Oct 5, 2005
  6. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

i saw that there is a step up transformer option with the wad, that gets built into the chassis.

i'll have a look at the pfm write up, thanks for that. i figured that the build it yourself route was likely to be better pound for pound than a pre built unit. i also liked the idea of going tube with the phono stage.

i have been following the spirit guide thread with great interest... just waiting for more updates!

blakeaudio, Oct 5, 2005
  7. blakeaudio

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

I too have built a WAD Phono. I have upgraded the signal resistors and cartridge loading resistors to vishays. There's also a 3.18uS correction that I've implemented - (4 resistors)

Put it this way, I'm more than happy with it. Theres plenty of people on the WAD forum who are very knowledgeable if you can't get it working. there is also a build it service if you don't want to take the plunge with a soldering iron. Personally I think building it is half the fun.

Some people reckon its better than an EAR 834, but never having heard one I can't say one way or the other.

You'll get hiss at full volume, but the PhonoII is very quiet indeed.

regarding the MC xformers. 10:1s are supplied, it's simply a case of two capacitor shaped cans with some wires. two go to the phono inputs, theres a couple of earths and the outputs go to the board. you also will probably have to change the cartridge loading resistors. normally a 47k is supplied, but as many MC carts require a 100R load you need to change those resistors for (cartload x stepupsquared). so for a 100R cart with 10:1 stepups, 10k is the required value (if its a 47k MC, then you would need 4.7M. if you want to experiment with cartridge loading resistors then a couple of through pins on the board is the answer and tag the resistor on to those.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
    kennyk, Oct 6, 2005
  8. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

it would be to match a shelter 501. i haven't as yet looked to see what loading it needs. had been thinking about a graham slee elevator to match my gram amp 2se, but it seem the WAD is a complete solution for considereably less.

where is the best place to get vishay-dales?

don't you get some hiss at full volume with most phono stages?

blakeaudio, Oct 6, 2005
  9. blakeaudio

Paul V

I get big hiss at LOUD volumes with my Microgroove + and I had heard that was supposed to be quiet, but it's not intrusive at all at normal listening volumes. Hiss and other noises aren't really things to be concerned about with vinyl are they, unless they really detract from the music ??.

Paul

Paul V, Oct 6, 2005
  10. blakeaudio

lordsummit moderate mod

The bloke at Loricraft said it would be easy to make a silent phono stage, trouble is you can't make a good sounding silent phono stage.

lordsummit, Oct 6, 2005
  11. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

i think when you're amplifying anything that much, it's going to be hard to make it silent....

blakeaudio, Oct 6, 2005
  12. blakeaudio

Anex Thermionic

Get vishays from RS. Yes you can't really have that sort of gain and not get some noise out of it but as phono stages go the WAD is v quiet.

Lordsummit: you could always stick a LP filter on that cuts off at 4K :)

Anex, Oct 6, 2005
  13. blakeaudio

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm very happy with it thanks

lordsummit, Oct 6, 2005
  14. blakeaudio

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Terry knows a lot abot Garrards, but perhaps not quite as much about phonostages. It is actually trivial to make good sounding quiet Phonostages, the solution is to combined transformers and Valves.....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 6, 2005
  15. blakeaudio

penance Arrogant Cock

Care to expand?

penance, Oct 6, 2005
  16. blakeaudio

lordsummit moderate mod

That as may be but he certainly knows how to make a very fine sounding one. The Missing Link is a wonderful piece of kit that anyone who's heard it finds astounding for the price it costs

lordsummit, Oct 6, 2005
  17. blakeaudio

Anex Thermionic

I'd assume using a low gain tube stage and getting most of the gain from step ups?

Anex, Oct 6, 2005
  18. blakeaudio

Hi,

It is reasonably hard to make a noisy and/or bad sounding MM Valve phonostage. Adding a suitable MC Stepup Transformer gives nearly noiseless gain. Works of course just as fine for Solid State.

:JOEL:

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 6, 2005
  19. blakeaudio

blakeaudio

i was under the impression that (depending on the transformer quality and correct load matching) there could be issues with roll off at the frequency extremes... as all ways there is more than one way to skin a cat. have to admit this does look interesting though.

blakeaudio, Oct 8, 2005
  20. blakeaudio

Hi,

Only if the transformer quality is poor.

True, but just for fun, if you take a pair of TX-103 set to the correct stepup/gainmatch for your cartridge (say a 10R/0.25mV one which will need 1:20 stepup) and an ECC83 input phonostage (like my "Valve El Cheapo) which has on average around 20nV|/Hz input noise above 100Hz you get a noise level pretty equal to the best straightforward solid state circuitry at around 1nV|/Hz.

IF you take such very high transconductance valves as I use in my "Big" Phonostage (eg. the E810F/7788 @ ~50mA/V) you get much lower valve noise and beating really fancy pants solid state circuitry is no longer that difficult.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Oct 8, 2005
Ask a Question