Wadia X32 and other s/h DAC's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Onno, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Onno

Onno

I am looking for a secondhand DAC and stumbled across a Wadia X32. I don't seem to find a lot of information through google other than that it's an early nineties model wich cost about $ 2500 back then new (correct me if I'm wrong).

So I wonder if anyone here knows:
    What does it sound like?
    How much would such a unit be worth?
    How does it compare to other DAC's on the second hand market (mostly cheaper, more recent products such as a Denon DA 500, Arcam delta black box, various musical fidelity X-series products and so on)?

It would be used with a Marantz cd 67 SE as a transport, feeding a musical fidelity E 10 amp feeding MBQuart S 350 floorstanders.
    It would likely also be used als an external DAC over the one in my onboard soundcard in my computer, which has an optical spdif output device.

Thanks in advance.

Onno, Oct 30, 2004
  2. Onno

Ya-Boo

Hi have a look around for a Perpetual P3A Dac prices on these have fallen
    quite a bit lately......a great dac and now even better VFM + a good upgrade path as and when you can afford upsampler & PSU

Ya-Boo, Oct 30, 2004
  3. Onno

dominicT former member

I used to own a Wadia W3200T transport and x64.4 Dac and it was superb. The Dac was excellent in so many respects and so well made. No need to worry about older Wadia's going wrong either as the manual states that it will go wrong in the first two years or from year twenty onwards. I swapped many emails with Wadia before I bought my Wadia (secondhand) and they were very helpful. My Wadia is for sale with KJ West One http://www.kjwestone.com/used.asp It might be worth checking it out as it pi**ed over everything that I listened to up to £5000 two years ago. The Wadia x64.4 sound is very revealing, big, lots of grunt, bottom end, but is smooth and not harsh in any way. (I swapped it and a NuVista for a Quad as I wanted something rather smaller) It has four digital inputs so plug your DVD etc through it and transform your whole system...and the price that they are selling at is rather good too! Happy hunting. Dominic

dominicT, Nov 7, 2004
Ask a Question