WAF at Chernobyl level,she's about to blow........

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Saab, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Saab

Saab

My lovely Audio Physic Sparks don't work my new house,23ft lounge,rad to negotiate,wife getting arsey,blah blah.The Sparks slope backwards,so i have been ordered to get some small standmounts that can go close to the wall.Budget upto £750,will buy second hand. (not selling the Sparks,love 'em to much,she might change her mind)

any ideas? Crying or Very sad

listen to anything,mainly rock/blues/vocals,at relativey normal listening levels

Saab, Oct 31, 2004
  2. Saab

Grenadier_45

Er, get rid of the wife?

If that's not an option, how about some Linn Katans and a Sizmik sub? :MILD:

Grenadier_45, Oct 31, 2004
  3. Saab

Tenson Moderator

PMC DB1+ ?

..Just filled in a form to try and win a pair in HI-Fi News!

Tenson, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Saab

michaelab desafinado

No brainer, pair of s/h Dynaudio Countour 1.3MkII - shouldn't cost you much more than £600.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 31, 2004
  5. Saab

julian2002 Muper Soderator

b&w 805 / sigs. some sort of sonus faber or just emasculate yourself totally and flog it all in favor of a denon mini system or some bose crap. personally i'd go for a pair of the speakers i'm diying but paint them marker pen yellow, get a video camera and make millions selling the video from your website - hey it worked for bumfights- you could call it bitchslapped - i want a cut of the profits though. ;) :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 31, 2004
  6. Saab

penance Arrogant Cock

shameless plug!
    I have contour 1.1 for sale
    :shame:

penance, Oct 31, 2004
  7. Saab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

You are IMHO using completely the wrong approach – if you had originally stated that you had your heart set on a pair of these for the new room (making sure to explain the size) I'm certain you could have eventually reached a point of compromise where your wife gratefully accepts the Audio Physics or whatever.

Tony.

TonyL, Oct 31, 2004
  8. Saab

wolfgang

:rds2: Hmmm....... Have you really tried that approach and succeed?

23 feet room and still have difficulty fitting a pair of speakers? Maybe you could post a few photo of the room layout and see if alternative arrangement are possible, WAF permiting that is.

wolfgang, Nov 1, 2004
  9. Saab

MartinC Trainee tea boy

If storage becomes an issue I may have some space in my lounge to 'store' them ;).

What slightly worries me is that presumeably having the Sparks you're big on imaging, something that's going to suffer having speakers close to the wall as you mention. My humble AVI Pro-Nines don't image badly IMHO, and can go very close to walls without bass boom issues (as they're rather bass light :rolleyes: ), but if they are the soundstage gets horribly flat. Of course this all depends on how close is close...

MartinC, Nov 1, 2004
  10. Saab

merlin

Easy to remedy that one. Simply close your eyes whilst listening or wear a blindfold!

merlin, Nov 1, 2004
  11. Saab

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Nope. If I'm properly listening to something I will usually shut my eyes anyway but this doesn't stop the soundstage being flatter with the speakers near the wall. I thought this was pretty standard? I'd assumed it was simply a matter of reflections from the wall behind the speakers arriving soon enough after the main signal as to confuse things? Whatever, it's a problem I'm used to with my speakers as tonally they probably ought to be touching the walls ( :rolleyes: yes I would like some new speakers...) but I can't take the soundstaging like that.

MartinC, Nov 1, 2004
  12. Saab

Croc

proac responce 1sc

Croc, Nov 1, 2004
  13. Saab

badchamp Thermionic Member

Dave,

My Von Schweikert VR-1's are supposedly designed to work well down to abt 9" from the wall. I've got mine a bit further out but then they're right in the corners so a bit of compromise there. They probably don't image as well as the Sparks (but of course that really is a major feature of AP) possibly because of the position but FWIW they are more revealing and are a really fun, natural listen. Good bass too and easy to drive. Major WAF points - even my GF has given her approval and she hated the Sparks !!!!!

Can probably be had for around £750 (try audioatmosphere.com I think - thats where I got mine from). But of course stands are extra. I've got mine on IFdesigns Tallis which are gorgeous, sound fantastic but not cheap.

Jeff

badchamp, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Saab

Saab

good call Jeff,you had to compromise in your lounge so if your experience could be useful to me!

I am still hoping she can be bribed with a nice radiator cabinet:(

imaging is important,I have simply not heard the speakers since i got them,just as you predicted,absolutley no fatigue at all,just a wonderful sound,again,just as you said

i am keping everthing crossed

Saab, Nov 1, 2004
  15. Saab

Saab

Wofgang

not moved in yet,but you walk into the room through double doors and the bay window with double rad is right in front of you,this is where the missus wants the rack and speakers,but she isn't too enamoured at having to walk into the Sparks,which need space

Saab, Nov 1, 2004
  16. Saab

analoguekid Planet Rush

What about putting the rack were the boss wants it and getting longer speaker cable to put speakers where you want, my rack is on left of left speaker, only drawback needed 14, feet pair of cable, may be a solution, cheaper than speakers, and you still keep yer babies.

analoguekid, Nov 1, 2004
  17. Saab

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Would moving the radiator help? If you own the house you could at least consider getting this done...

MartinC, Nov 2, 2004
Ask a Question