Walker cj55

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Starfish, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Starfish

Starfish

Hi, im in the market for a turntable and have been offered a Walker cj55 with rb300 arm for £185. I know the rb300 is excellent but know very little about the turntable and am struggling to find anything out. Can any1 give give me any advice on this.
    Many thanks

Starfish, Dec 18, 2006
  2. Starfish

Mr_Sukebe

The desk was made by a chap called Colin Walker. I met the chap about 10 years ago when he was working for Castle and was installing a set of Winchesters for a relative of mine. The relative in question still has his CJ55, and I had a CJ58 when I was younger. As a deck, has a four point suspension, meaning it's not that easy to setup. It's probably a good 20 years old at least, and the suspension it's probably past it's best now.
    As a deck, well it wasn't as good as the LP12. My 58 was replaced by an early LP12 with a Valhalla. Not a bad deck though. My guess is that it's probably on par with an old Rega P3, which should help with the valuation.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 18, 2006
  3. Starfish

murray johnson

One of the interesting aspects of these turntables was their use of platters made from a laminated material called Tufnol. This brought far less of its own character to playing records than a glass or cast alloy one did. It wasn't just Pink Triangle who were investigating the sound of platters in the late 70's early 80's.

One of the nicest systems I've listened to belonged to a partially sighted piano tuner I once met who used a Walker TT with an SME arm and, I think, some large Spendor speakers.

The TT should be capable of good results. For what it does (and depending on condition) the price seems reasonable.

murray johnson, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Starfish

Starfish

Thanks for your knowledge, the seller is getting back to me with some pictures. It needs a new belt and catridge, depending on condition and sourcing a belt i might make an offer. Will post pics if any1 is interested?.

Starfish, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Starfish

Fluffy

Hi........as you seem to be knowledgeable about the CJ55 I hope you don't mind me asking what you would suggest as an amp and speaker combination to go with one,,,,,that would allow me to also stream music thru the amp. I have a mint condition unused CJ55 [with Linn Basic tone arm and cartridge] that I originally bought from Mr Walker at his workshop outside Chester in 1981!! I would love to use it as part of a new system but I am not sure what kit would get the best out of it.....

Fluffy, May 12, 2021
  6. Starfish

Sergeauckland

As you're answering a thread last updated in 2006, you might struggle to get an answer from the previous posters.

As I hate to see questions going unanswered, I'll do my best to help.

Your turntable and arm is pretty good, so it's worth putting a decent cartridge on it. The Linn Basic cartridge, if that's what you have, was a 'get you going' cartridge, best replaced when funds allow. The cartridge body was OK, but the stylus was very 'basic'. Any of the new Audio Technica, Ortofon or Goldring Moving Magnet cartridges will suit the arm quite well.

As to amplifier and loudspeakers, the turntable really has no bearing on what you choose. My advice is to find a pair of loudspeakers that suit your budget and your ears. Some of the new small active 'speakers like the Kali LP-6 are excellent, and being active, you then won't need an amplifier, just a pre-amp with a phono stage.

Of those, I'm a fan of the Quad 34 and the Hafler preamps, but there are lots more. As to streaming, I am sceptical of all dedicated streamers or streamers built-in to amplifiers as my impression is that as soon as the manufacturer changes their products, the older products soon go out of support, don't get updated, and before long stop working on the latest streaming sources. Something like the Google Chromecast Audio, now sadly discontinued but commonly available on-line used, or my favourite, the Squeezebox Touch, also discontinued but maintained by an army of enthusiasts who keep it updated, would be my choice, as with the Chromecast device, it will play anything you can cast from a mobile 'phone or tablet, and with the Squeezebox, there are free or very cheap apps available for remote control.

Hope this helps in some way.

S.

Sergeauckland, May 13, 2021
Ask a Question