Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

adam

Hi everyone,saludos desde españa,

I,m another one into 80s music,especially early 80s and the 2 tone era, madness,clash etc,great memories!

adam, Jun 20, 2003
  2. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

OK - my musical tastes. Well, all good music :D

I was brought up on classical and didn't become corrupted by "popular" music until I went to boarding school in England aged 11. I won't bore you with the whole bio but basically I now like pretty much all kinds of music.

On the pop/rock front I'm currently into alot of the ambient/chillout/lounge music that's around Nitin Sawhney, Gotan Project, Air, Bent, Koop, Tosca, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Thievery Corporation etc. I'm into a load of other stuff too though, just a random sample would be Air, Daft Punk, Tracy Chapman, Michael Jackson :shame:, Madonna, REM, Radiohead, Fun Loving Criminals, Massive Attack.

On the classical side it's mainly romantic stuff, post 1850 really and a lot of early 20th century music - Wagner, Brahms, Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Sibelius, Elgar, Delius, Puccini, Verdi etc. Quite like some of the more recent classical music aswell but can't really handle Boulez and other seriously random avant-garde stuff.

Jazz I'm only just getting into. I guess I like 'traditional' jazz (the kind of thing you get at the 606 Club in London) and I can't really handle the more avant-garde stuff yet. Saxophones sounding like tortured cats is not really my bag :D Big bossanova fan - have quite a number of Jobim, Getz and Gilberto CDs.

I'm into "world music" (what a horrible term - ugh!) aswell. African, Latin (Buena Vista Social Club) etc. And, since moving to Portugal I've listened to quite a bit of "Fado" aswell which I quite like (in reasonably short bursts though).

That's about it.
    Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2003
    Mozartian likes this.
  3. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Which Arp did you have? I owned an Odyssey ages ago and loved it. I've always wanted a 2600!

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 20, 2003
  4. bottleneck

Phil Craddock

Hello Everyone.

I didn't manage to get on to the GrooveHandle in time. Didn't seem much point in joining just for the remaining couple of days.
    A lot of members here seem to go by an alias. Hat's off I say, to all those who are using their real name - no hiding place!

In order of preference, I peruse most of the main forums - Mana, PFM but now rarely on Naim. I like to see what's goin' on without expressing fierce devotion to any one camp. Having said that, most of my gear is Naim but I spend the least time on their forum... Far too predictable in my opinion!

Phil

Phil Craddock, Jun 21, 2003
  5. bottleneck

Neil

Hello,
    Here from GH -

My kit: DPA E-transport and DAC to either DPA renaissance integrated (underrated (IMNSHO!) or 200S pre-power or AVI pre and monoblocs. Speakers based on Dynaudio Foccus kit (front ported contour) with kimber wire and hovland musicaps in the crossover.
    Power via RA :)rolleyes: ) purifier block and hi-current powercords or DPA "the power" conditioners and clearaudio cables.
    interconnects - either Kimber or DPA black slink
    speaker cable - Townsend isolda

Music:

Lots - depend on mood eg yesterday crowded House/Tom Waits/Led Zep/Groove Armada/Madonna/Bing C etc..

Look forward to lurking and occasionally contributing. Glad to be here.

Neil

PS - i also have lots of music on an ipod - rather cool thingy.

Neil, Jun 21, 2003
  6. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

It seems like every week I hear about a new Dynaudio speaker variant :confused: A friend of mine in Portugal recently got a pair of Crafft's which I thought were front ported Contours!

BTW, I have Contour 1.3MkIIs (which I bought off the above mentioned friend) - and they're an outstanding speaker :cool:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 21, 2003
  7. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ok, time to answer my own question..

I grew up in the 80's listening to rock and heavy metal. Iron Maiden, David Lee Roth, Metallica - you get the picture.

Went to college and discovered all sorts of new music - stone roses, the beatles, the smiths etc.

Got a good stereo, and got into pretty much everything else - like Julian said earlier, Im also still struggling with classical and opera.

Hifi preferances are valves and vinyl, but accept recording quality as the real deciding factor on my systems performance.

Biggest system mods planned are changes to my CDP, and the listening room wants knocking down and starting over (but I never will).

See you on the site.
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jun 21, 2003
  8. bottleneck

liamjf

Hi y'all, :) I'd also like to put my hand up for a sneaky liking of 80s stuff - Fgth, Propaganda (Actually anything on early ZTT), Tears for Fears, ABC, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, etc. etc. :D :eek:
    Must be my age...
    Liam.

liamjf, Jun 21, 2003
  9. bottleneck

joongul Analog Zealot

Hello from Seoul!

My music is mostly classical. I have recently ventured into Baroque choral music, and I hold tones responsible ;)

I use roksan turntable, 47 labs digital front, exposure amps and neat speakers.

Joongul

joongul, Jun 21, 2003
  10. bottleneck

GAZZ

Hi guys, I take it this is the new hide out

GAZZ

GAZZ, Jun 21, 2003
  11. bottleneck

Neil

Dynaudios

Re the Dynaudios - I really like them. I auditioned the contour 1.2s and loved the sound but in my room they had to be placed close to the rear wall so the bass was a little "boomy". Most other stuff I heard and liked was way too expensive and I was thinking of 2nd hand kit and fell upon the Wilmslow Audio site. i spoke to them about things and they had the Foccus kit available - Dynaudio were pulling out of the DIY market at that time (2000) - a real pity as their drivers are great - and I bought the kit with upgraded tweeters and replaced the caps and internal wiring. The front port takes care of the boom but I am looking for a slightly "faster" bass. I was keen to listen to Proac after advice from Robbo but am still looking at present!
    Neil

Neil, Jun 21, 2003
  12. bottleneck

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hi

Yep another ex-groove person here.

Music is pretty much prog rock. Now before you all go "isn't that a bit limiting?" You could well be surprised at just how wide the boundaries that make prog are. Current bands that I'd reccommend to check out are :-

Landmarq - Thunderstruck

Galahad - Year Zero

Karnataka - A Delicate Flame Desire

Mostly Autumn - Passengers (when it gets released, I got a pre-release copy early, in the mean time check out the last studio album Last Bright Light or The Story so far to get an idea of their sound)

Glass Hammer - Lex Rex. Concept album with lots of analogue sounding keyboards. If you like yes etc then get into this lot.

I will give anything a go (hell I got into Nightwish by doing that), its just that todays "music" leaves me cold. Whether its the amount of times it gets played to death on the radio or whatever I just find most of it today really really irritating. Having said that I never go "oh its crap" just because I don't like it I just say its not my cup of tea. Although I do quite like the evanescense single atm.

Whew, sorry for such a long winded "first" post!

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2003
    davidcotton, Jun 22, 2003
  13. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Welcome david - I'll let you know when you mention a band I've heard of :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 22, 2003
  14. bottleneck

iancity

Another rat from Groovehandle, who was a rat from HFC before that!!!
    Good to see the regulars here, I may not post much, but do spend a bit of time here reading the comments (SWMBO now laughing at "a bit":rolleyes: )
    Hope this place goes from strength to strenght and has none of the probs GH apparantly did.
    Into metal mostly (latest Metallica cd on as we speak) but tastes slowly being broadened - oh and eternal thanks to Robbo for without him I would not have the ProAcs:D

iancity, Jun 22, 2003
  15. bottleneck

grav888 In need of a new system.

Hi all.
    Followed a link from another forum I belong to. (MBCLUB.co.uk).
    This forum makes for interesting reading.
    No doubt I will pick up a few tips on sound systems here, as just starting to build mine.
    Currently running a kenwood and marantz set up, but have got to improve it. (SOON)

Graeme.

grav888, Jun 22, 2003
  16. bottleneck

Robbo

Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay here:MILD:

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jun 22, 2003
  17. bottleneck

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Well hello there…

I've been paddling around on HFC for a while now (as They call me Ron – the username field was a character short, blast it all), but I thought I'd come over here and dip my toe in the water. I used to watch all the big boys splashing around and playing rough on Groovehandle, but so far you lot seem to be able to play together nicely.

I'm not going to list my kit, but I am reasonably proud of the fact that I just replaced an ancient CDP/amp/speaker set with a combo that cost under £500 and sounds simply super –_at least to my ears.

Never thought this forum lark would be my sort of thing, but I work from home and sometimes one needs a bit of distraction, and I've found this to be a throughly enjoyable substitute for the coffee-machine natter. Actually, it's better in many ways.

By the way, my name is not really Ron.

My name is Ron, Jun 22, 2003
  18. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Welcome Graeme - a link to ZeroGain from a Mercedes forum? :eek: I sense that Robbo, a recent new Merc owner, must have been involved :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 22, 2003
  19. bottleneck

lowrider Live music is surround

I enjoy all types of music, always keep the radio on with the new popular music, but my CD collection is mainly classical, quite varied, Mahler being my favourite composer, followed by Sibelius...

Nowadays I enjoy the most watching musical DVDs, jazz, opera, rock, whatever... :MILD:

My system is posted in the KIT thread, and you can see more on my web page:

http://sapp.telepac.pt/lowrider/hifi.html

[​IMG]

lowrider, Jun 23, 2003
  20. bottleneck

dominicT former member

Hi Tony, I had an Omni II. It had the same filter as the Odyssey but obviously less controls but a fab string machine and bass synth. I was kicking myself as soon as I sold it and Mark started playing it but at least it went to a good home. I went and bought an MKS80/MPG80 to cheer myself up! Do you have a mark one or two? I was seriously thinking about getting one because I can't find another synth that can do brass type leads like the Odyssey, the softward version sounds nothing like the original. Great to see another synth guy here.

dominic

dominicT, Jun 23, 2003
Ask a Question