Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

speedy.steve

Oooh pics of lardy BMW's:)

This was me at Brands;)

[​IMG]

Just slipping up the inside of a slick shod Sierra Cosworth turbo into Druids at Brands.
    Quite quick down the straights but nowhere on the twisty stuff.

Stripped out racing M3's, racing Fiesta's, Astras, Mini ones all fall prey to the 7 on the shorter UK circuits - "any fool can drive fast in a straight line"
    http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/high-performance-driving-course.htm

speedy.steve, Jul 4, 2010
  2. bottleneck

flatpopely Trade - AudioFlat

Hmmmm.

Not been outlapped by many 7s at Cadwell Steve!

flatpopely, Jul 4, 2010
  3. bottleneck

speedy.steve

Cadwell is a favourite of 7's - I've been there many a time. It's quite a power circuit though on the start finish and up the hill.
    The current crop of Duratec R500's and Radical's (another fav of mine) would do the job but they are not cheap.
    I don't expect many fast 7's go to on tin top days (I never do) as they tend to get in the way - can be quick on the straights but sooo slow in the corners, and they are rather wide:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
    speedy.steve, Jul 5, 2010
  4. bottleneck

cyp21

Hello All

Interesting forum so i thought id join.

My kit is sub standard and have no money to upgrade at present.

I have:

Technics SL1200MK2 with a cheapo stanton cart
    Arcam Alpha 8R Amp
    Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc (bought second hand a couple of years ago)
    Sony SACD/DVD player cant remember name
    i havnt really bought anything new for about 10 years

So as you see most other members on the forum could blast my stuff out of the water :lol:

cyp21, Aug 1, 2010
  5. bottleneck

Batty Registered Insane

Hi, my name is Steve and I live in Adelaide, I have 2 systems, the main one consists '86 Townshend Elite Rock with AO rewired and foam filled RB250 with a OL structural mod at the moment I'm using a DL-110 cart and have a Goldie 1042 in the wings. Amplification is Copland CSA-14 and the speakers are Castle Howards.

Secondly I have a digital setup utilising my PC as storage and player, optical out to my old Denon DMD 1000 which serves as a DAC (and player now and then) to a Rotel RA-04 into Castle Richmond 3s. Oh yeah, there is a CD63 KI Sig hooked in there too.

Headphones are an aging pair of HD414s

Musicwise I have quite wide tastes except both types of music (country and western). Favorite band is Marillion either with or without Fish.

I have put some DIY kits together just to mess around with, so far these include a phono preamp a DAC and a headphone amp.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    Batty, Aug 9, 2010
  6. bottleneck

fjoggedelic audiophile user

My set-up!

Dear folks!
    I'm new in here, and just wanted to post a little for the first time, and thought i would "show" you my kit.
    I have build all my kit up around my amplifier, the legendary Lavardin IT. Speakers are also French. Jean Marie Raynaud: Orfeo`s. My CD is Rega Saturn, My Turntable, also Rega P7 with Rega Exact pu and my riaa is again, also Rega Eos. I`m very fond of Rega, and used to own the legendary P3, but shifted for the much better P7. The cables i`m using with great results is Acoustic Zen`s Satori Shotgun between my speakers and amplifier. AZ Silver Ref II for my Saturn, AZ Matrix Ref II for my riaa, so it`s all AZ, and with outstanding performance. It all sounds a bit for the warm side, but with great details and a astonning bass:JOEL:
    If anyone has any questions, be free to ask?
    Best Thomas![/FONT]

fjoggedelic, Aug 10, 2010
  7. bottleneck

fjoggedelic audiophile user

Hey dear "friends"

Hi, im new in here an come from Denmark, but is serius in to HI-FI and had spendt proberly around 25.000 euros on my equipment, but it`s the first time i have been satisfied with my set-up. Iv`e have been in for HI-FI for 25 years, and have had all kinds of equipment. My first speakers where the legendary( in Denmark) F3 Onken Focal, those with the big egg on top of the cabinet. In many years i had Audiolab an different F3 Lyd speakers, who nowadays call themselves Audiovector. Before buying my new gear i had the Audiovector M3 Avantgarde, but recently sold it with all my other stuff.
    I began looking after new equiment and stumble over the Lavardin IT amplifier pretty cheap (a demo), so i bought it and hooked it up with my Audiovector M3`s but was looking for something more, so suddenly i was in for a hole new set-up. I bought Jean Marie Reynaud speakers, the Orfeo`s and Rega Saturn CD, Rega P7 turntable with the Rega Exact PU, and the Rega Eos Riaa, so now i was ready to listen. And it sounded marveles, i wasn`t expecting such good sound. Later on i put a Sub in to my system, the Velodyne DD12 and the sound improved a lot. The lower end of the Orfeo`s could now deliver their best without getting stressed, so the DD 12 nicely blendeed in to the Orfeo`s. Just recently o bought new cables for the system, and after trying a lot of different cables i came up with Acoustic Zen cables. They gives the best value for money, and still can be compared to much more expensive cables. For my speakers it was the Satori Shotgun, for my Saturn it was the Silver Ref II and for my riaa, the Matrix Ref II. About tweaks i have the Boston Audio Tuneblocks XT with TC upgrade for my Saturn CD and my Rega P7. And for the Saturn i also have the cd stabilizer. And for my sub i have the Black Diamond Racing cones underneath it, with jumbo pitts. So i`m a lucky man an i think my system can beat a lot of even more expensive system out there. I have never heard such great smooth and punchy sound before from any system. :)

fjoggedelic, Aug 12, 2010
  8. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Fjogg/welcome to the forum. Feel free to put some photo's of your kit up, it's a great place to start.

bottleneck, Aug 12, 2010
  9. bottleneck

tonbert

New here and my name is Ton and I'm from Holland.
    Listen to all kind of music but prefer jazzy kind of music, from latin to smooth. Favorit cd (bluray) at this moment Chris Botti in Boston.

Actually quite an Arcam fan and bu yand sell sometimes some( often arcam) gear to upgrade my own set.
    Have an Arcam avr 600 with sonos system, Keff reference 3.2 and OLS (Kharma) speakers, tress speaker cable and Nordost interlinks, Dune 3.0 and Panasonic 50G20. For stereo I have an older Naim set.

tonbert, Aug 23, 2010
  10. bottleneck

TheCherub

Though I should introduce myself. Stumbled across this forum from somewhere (not quite sure where), and decided to join as it seems a fairly friendly place (bolstered by the presence of Mr_Tad who I am aware of via the bit-tech forums).

Currently in the process of saving for a substantial upgrade to my current setup, which was a case of what I could afford at the time to get on the ladder.

TheCherub, Aug 24, 2010
  11. bottleneck

Harry Hotspur

Hello,

Came across your excellent forum by chance and thought I would join! I am currently working in Riyadh in the middle of what is literally a desert, both geographically and culturally!!

Before I came here some years ago my local dealer advised me to put my beloved hi-fi into storage - excellent advice having now seen how the local customs officials treat your belongings. Anyway, another 6 months and I will be back in the UK and reunited with my music collection. System currently comprises:

Linn LP12, Ittok, Lyra Clavis and Armageddon
    Naim NAC 82, NAP 180 and Hi-Cap
    Naim SBLs

No CD player but this is something I am looking to rectify on my return to the UK together with some much needed maintenance and upgrades to my front end and amplification. I can hardly wait!!!!

Harry Hotspur, Sep 20, 2010
  12. bottleneck

Assimilate

Hi All

Just joined the forum today. Have to admit to being a bit of a girlie geek and have been into my hi-fi since I was a teenager.

Have had a range of good and not so good separates over the years - some homemade stuff, Rogers, Leak, Quad 303/33, Mordaunt Short, Sony, JBL, Myryad, Arcam, Dynaudio, more Quad 303/33's...

About 18 months ago I treated myself to a Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier, Roksan Kandy K2 CD player and a pair of Quad 22L2 speakers. I've just bought some Naim speaker cable off fleabay which I'm going to collect tomorrow - looking forward to seeing whether it makes a noticeable difference from the speaker cable I'm using at the moment (think it's more suited to home cinema setups from what I've read).

Kathryn
    :D

Assimilate, Sep 20, 2010
  13. bottleneck

Speranza

Hello one and all

Am new to the forum... But glad I've found it. Had a revival of interest in this complex and oh so subjective world of hi-fi and audio equipment reproduction after 11 years.

Am running a system based on a Roksan Kandy L MKIII amp, Arcam CD73T CD player and Mission 733i s.....

And now it's time for me to ask a few questions and look for some advice in the relevant section!

Speranza, Oct 8, 2010
  14. bottleneck

Speranza

Hello there fellow newcomer.... Ooh, I'm envious of the latest Roksan Kandy K2 amp, albeit under the assumption that it is better than its predecessor which I have.

That said, am even more envious of your avatar! :)

Speranza, Oct 8, 2010
  15. bottleneck

conisby

Hi folks, trying to re-kindle the old hi-fi bug, which was left on the old backburner due to a move State side (for a women !!!!). Anyway back in the UK and happily divorced, so want to get back into it all again. Looking forward to getting involved with likeminded soles to discuss all things musical.

I don't know if im allowed to mention if im looking for certain items?? if not please feel free to tell me off.

But if anyone has any leads on where i might source a second hand Kuzma Stabi s / Stogi s combo, i'd be for ever gratefull.

All the best

Simon

conisby, Oct 9, 2010
  16. bottleneck

omkara

Let the music begin

Hi all i am a film maker based in Kuala Lumpur and Los Angeles
    Nice to have found this site,

Heres my Home Rig :

Rogue Cronus Titan "Magnum" Integrated Amplifier (90 Watts/PC)
    Paradigm Titan Monitors V6
    Cambridge Audio 650c Cd Player
    Technics SL210 Citroen Edition with Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge

System fed with DH Labs Cable Loom powered by Shunyata Hydra 2 with Black Rhodium Super Jazz Mains Lead plugged to a Dedicated Hi-Fi Line.

Office Rig :
    Vintage Pioneer SM700 Power Amplifier
    Nuforce Icon DAC/Preamp
    Bose Acoustimass 5 (They finally gave up yesterday and thinking of moving the Paradigms here)
    Nuforce W1 Active Subwoofer

Operated with Monster Cable/Audioquest Loom Interconnect/Wires.

Gym Rig : (All Vintage)
    Sansui AU5900 Integrated Amplifier
    Sansui TU7700 Tuner
    Sansui SP2000 Speaker
    The Technics SL210 Shall Return here, Once i get a nice turntable for my home rig.

:JOEL:

omkara, Nov 13, 2010
  17. bottleneck

uglymusic

I've lurked, but now I should introduce myself by way of my gear.

Main system:
    Apple Mac mini G4
    Drobo storage
    KingRex UD-01 SE DAC and Power Supply
    NVA Statement Pre
    NVA TDS Mk1 monoblocks
    Royd RR3 speakers
    NVA Sound Cord, Sound Pipe and Super Sound Pipe interconnects, NVA LS5 speaker cable and CryoParts USB Cable II.

Office system:
    Apple iMac 27" Core 2 Duo
    Pioneer A400X amp
    Mission 761 speakers
    NVA Sound Pipe interconnects and mystery back of the cupboard loudspeaker cables.

uglymusic, Nov 22, 2010
  18. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

Welcome to the forum guys. I hope your enjoy posting here.

Curious name uglymusic:). What sort of music do you prefer?

Dev, Nov 22, 2010
  19. bottleneck

uglymusic

Thanks for the welcome, Dev

I listen to a lot of free/avant garde jazz. A friend once said: you're not going to play any of that ugly music, are you Dave? So it's become my forum handle.

uglymusic, Nov 22, 2010
  20. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

I've never thought of any music as ugly but I guess it's a good handle:).

Dev, Nov 22, 2010
Ask a Question