Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

Jehuty

Hi all,

I came across this fantastic forum when I was searching for a pair of Tannoy HPD385 (I still am). I am really amazed, some members here got some awesome skills and knowledge about vintage Tannoy drivers. I really look forward to sharing the love with all of you here.

I am into vintage gears and looking to build my system with all vintage goodness. At the moment my main system consists of modified Marantz CD94 transport outputting I2S, custom TDA1541A double crown tube DAC (anyone selling double crown chip?), JLTi EL34 amp with Telefunken PCC88 and Philips Miniwatt EL34 double D getter valves, Quad 21L2 speakers and open baffle Lansing 515C bass drivers. My focus now is to upgrade my speakers to Tannoy HPD385 in Westminster box.

Happy listening,
    William

Jehuty, Nov 26, 2010
  2. bottleneck

Boman

Another newcomer here. Initially looked to join only as a means to come into contact with another member, but reading some old posts I soon realised that this forum has a commendably friendly atmosphere with none of the vitriolic trench wars that can plague other fora. (If there are such threads here, don't let me know...)

I often make the mistake of describing my music taste as varied, but every time I'm asked to give examples I struggle to mention anything outside the rock, pop, metal and synth genres. Lots of Manics, Mary Chain, Poppies, Carter, Chumbawamba, Placebo, Front 242, Faith No More and Fear Factory in my music collection, but also "soft" music such as Norah Jones, Tori Amos and Lemonheads and 60's music such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (to keep the parents happy when they come visiting...). The last couple of weeks, the most played records come from Story of the Year and Robyn.

Equipment wise, I have begun the mental process of steering onto the path of computer based listening. Still a way to go before that is realised, though. Currently playing music through an MF combo of transport (X-Ray v8), Dac (X-Dac v8) and separate PSU (Triple-X 170). Amplification consists of a Cambridge 840E (we've had a rough journey) and a Classé CA-2100. These connect to Krell Resolution 3 stand mounts, via Eichmann and Tara Labs cables. There's an Isotek Aquarius in there too, the benefits of which haven't quite convinced me, as well as power cords from Lessloss (more convincing). Oh, and I keep a Marantz SA-7001KI around for the odd SACD.

/Boman

Boman, Nov 27, 2010
  3. bottleneck

Silk

Good evening everyone.

Silk, Dec 16, 2010
  4. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

Welcome guys.

Dev, Dec 16, 2010
  5. bottleneck

smartin

Hello Guys

Tripped over your forum while looking around , looks great.
    My system stands at the moment.
    Pioneer DV868AVI,FLYING MOLE PAS1 / MAS160, FOCAL JM LAB CHORUS 714S.
    Musical tastes are pretty wide, if i like it great if not it was worth a try.

smartin, Jan 10, 2011
  6. bottleneck

nando nando

welcome to the drome no seriously, hope that you enjoy the forum ,
    regards,

nando, Jan 10, 2011
  7. bottleneck

roninpunkboy

hello zerogain people, have recently signed up here and thought i should introduce myself.
    i am a thirtysomething with a broad musical palette. i have and still, at times dj. currently i am getting to grips with writing tunes using a sony vaio laptop and image line fl studio.
    as for gear, well i have been deprived for quite some time and have had to resort to listening to music via a pair of akg headphones and the vaio. however late last summer i found a pair of slightly scruffy celestion ditton22's sitting outside a charity shop which i managed to pick up for £8 the pair....on the advice of a mate i purchased a mission cyrus one of ebay for £53 and got qed quennex cable (i think) dirt cheap. so i was sorted or so i thought.
    if anyone here has any indepth technical savvy re amps i would really appreciate if you could pm as the cyrus has got a fault and whilst i could go into detail i am not sure if this is the right forum for such things.
    and thats my story and my gear

roninpunkboy, Feb 5, 2011
  8. bottleneck

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    Hi roninpunkboy; the amp can have failures on the main board and the joints to the back can break but by far the most common faults on older ones is dirt and grease in the switches. A good clean out with a spray electrical cleaning product from Maplin could fix it right up. Good luck :)s

Corky, Feb 5, 2011
  9. bottleneck

simbo

Hello All,

Just signed up to Zerogain.

Current kit is Audio Note:

TT-Two / Arm Three / IQ3
    Oto Phono SE
    CDT2
    DAC2.1x Signature
    AN-E/Spe

Listen to all sorts of music, just wish I had more time!

simbo, Feb 23, 2011
  10. bottleneck

silverback11

hello...just been brave and posted my first thread here! Look forward to much erudite discussion

silverback11, Feb 24, 2011
  11. bottleneck

meridian man

Hi all and Happy Paddy's day.

meridian man, Mar 16, 2011
  12. bottleneck

smallman

Hello all

Just a quick post to say hello

Current kit = Musical Fidelity + Icon Audio

MF A3.2 cd
    MF A3.2CR Dual Mono Pre and Power ( Going in Classifieds soon )
    Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mkiii
    ProAc responce 1.5

Into all types of music

Karl

smallman, Apr 10, 2011
  13. bottleneck

diviy

Just saying hello my name is Gerry and I live in Swansea.

Here my system

Rega p3 with rb250 arm srm upgrage kit
    Arcam A65
    Creek evo cd player
    XLP-S V3 phono stage
    kef q15 speaker
    Atacama Speaker Stands
    All units mounted on deflex foculpods
    Speakers on granite bases
    Turntable mounted on a inch thick Acrylic base
    All the mains leads made out of armoured cable
    This is all sitting on a diy flexy table

diviy, Apr 29, 2011
  14. bottleneck

nando nando

welcome gerry, hope you enjoy this forum, and all the crazies, cheers

nando, Apr 29, 2011
  15. bottleneck

MrAcoustat MrAcoustat

MrAcoustat Keep It Simple

Hi my name is Andre Sevigny i am 65 years old newly retired so now i can listend 60 hours a week instead of 40 i am a long time audiophile better known on forum's as MrAcoustat i live in the province of Quebec in Canada here's my system.

PS: You can visit my photo galery here = http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Chord CPM-2600
    Chord One
    Acoustat 1+1s

[​IMG]

MrAcoustat, Jun 9, 2011
  16. bottleneck

minx

To say "Hi". I'm in my late 50s been a music lover all my life and was once a drummer so used to hang around with musicians. I have about 3,000 cds and 1000 vinyl but no longer have a turntable so the vinyl never get played anymore.

Turntable was a Linn Sondek with an SME arm. (shows my age). Now have an Eastsound E5 CD, Affordable Valve Company KT88 Signature am and Tannoy R3 Revolution speakers.

Musical tastes: everything!

minx, Jun 14, 2011
  17. bottleneck

jevy47

Photo trouble

Hi

Just joined Audiosmile and am trying to upload a photo of my stuff but seem to be having a spot of trouble.

I have reduced the size of the photo to below 100 kb but an error message is coming up when I try to upload it.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers

Davey

jevy47, Jul 9, 2011
  18. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

I'd advise uploading images to an external hosting site and linking it here.

http://imageshack.us/

Upload it to that free site. Then copy the bit where it says 'Forum Code' into the post.

Tenson, Jul 9, 2011
  19. bottleneck

jevy47

Hi Tenson,

Thanks for your help.

I`ve registered with imageshack and thought I`d uploaded a photo to their website but can`t find it.

Sorry but I have not got a clue how to do this.

jevy47, Jul 9, 2011
  20. bottleneck

Tenson Moderator

You don't need to register, you just go to the page and click upload. It then gives you a link to put on here.

Tenson, Jul 9, 2011
Ask a Question