Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

jevy47

Many thanks Tenson, got there in the end.

I was putting the Forum Code in the attachment at the bottom.

First photo I have ever posted on a hifi website.
    It won`t be the last.

Thanks again.

Davey

jevy47, Jul 9, 2011
  2. bottleneck

mygreendog

first ever forum...

Currently using :

Windows 7 PC (wavs with Dbpoweramp)
    Benchmark DAC1 usb
    Myryad MP100/MA120 pre power
    Michell mycro
    Creek phono stage
    Dynaudio audience 40s

DAC is the latest addition & I'm loving the PC based sytem, nearly got all the CDs ripped. Also a big vinyl fan, with a minor ebay turntable problem

mygreendog, Jul 12, 2011
  3. bottleneck

hifipete

Hi

Hello to you all.

Just joined the forum and will be looking for advice on all things hi fi related. I have very little technical knowledge on the electronic side of things and would be also completetly lost in carrying out any DIY/modding work to hi fi equipment. This I hope to address by learning and listening to advice from fellow forum members.

I have an 80's Naim system consisting of a 32.5 pre/140/HiCap/Linn Kanns and is now looking forward to getting a vintage/classic amp set up to drive a recently acquired pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds in a Lancaster enclosure.

Happy listening

Pete

hifipete, Jul 18, 2011
  4. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Pete and welcome.

Feel free to post any questions about the proposed vintage system out on the general forum.

RobHolt, Jul 18, 2011
  5. bottleneck

Davidcat

Hi everybody ! New bloke here.
    My kit : Clearaudio Reference, Basis Vector arm, AT oc9 cart, Dino and Dino plus, Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 amp, MF DM25 CD and DAC, Talk electronics tuner, Martin Logan Acent i 'speakers all wired together with an assortment of wildly expensive cables!
    Taste in music: mostly rock, big Paul Simon fan, Floyd, Zep, Rush, Tull, You get the picture. Totally into Porcupine Tree right now, seek some out if you don't know their work.:cool:

Davidcat, Oct 12, 2011
  6. bottleneck

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

My friend Andrew absolutely LOVES Porcupine Tree.

YNMOAN, Oct 12, 2011
  7. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Hi David and welcome.

We seem to have lots of 'cat' people here :)

RobHolt, Oct 12, 2011
  8. bottleneck

Davidcat

Obviously a man of taste and discernment.

Davidcat, Oct 12, 2011
  9. bottleneck

joethebus

New boy in the remove!

Hello all

It's nice to be here. I'm just embarking on a bit of an adventure, me, having had a hi-fi of sorts many, many years ago and had bits of it die or go walkies over the years so that in the end nothing was left. I didn't really bother about music much except for live gigs, Glastonbury every year 'cos I happen to live nearby and a few tapes/CDs in the car. It's been, well, decades - until about three years ago.

I worked in studios way back when with proper beeb sound engineers, I was doing lighting in the TV studio mostly but we had an Eastlake room that recorded pretty good stuff and I got to like the sound of accurate kit in a treated room. Now I'm trying to recapture the excitement and magic of walking into the studio control room in the morning and listening to what the engineers had been recording the night before.

My speakers are elderly Rogers Export Monitors and I also have a pair of Rogers JR 150s; driven by either Rogers e20a valves or a Quad 520f. Analogue sources are a rather ropey Rega 2 deck or Panasonic 611 tape machine, but I don't use either much; digital is an Orelle CD-10T through a Beresford Caiman DAC or the computer.

I bought a big memory tank last year so have room for lots of uncompressed bits and have been trying to get to grips with Pure Music/Tunes/TuneUp on a Mac out through either firewire into a Mackie 820i using that as DAC or optical SPDIF to Caiman; and JRiver, USB to Caiman on a little 12volt PC to retrieve and play, using dBpoweramp to rip and convert. What a nightmarish and monumentally ineffective time-wasting activity that has proved to be! Talk about one step forwards and two steps back!!!

When it's behaving my stuff sounds crisp and rich and pretty much all there, but it doesn't necessarily do what it's told. It's hard to say whether our labradors or the stereo is more obedient. I listen nearfield in a smallish and acoustically calm room nad think its quite revealing; high res. needle drops played back digitally are interesting aren't they, and I don't think I'd know that if my kit isn't there or thereabouts!

Maybe one day I'll have my library up together and the playback kit so sorted that I'll start worrying about the wires that hook it all together. That's the hope.

I'm looking forward to getting to know who's who here and will probably ask a fair few stupid questions before I reach my goal. So apologies for that.

I haven't even mentioned room dynamics have I? Well maybe I did just a bit; they make a big difference, don't they.

Happy New Year everyone

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
    joethebus, Jan 23, 2012
  10. bottleneck

dubman23

i'm new here

Hi,I'm Mark new to hifi forums but have been into hifi for nearly 30 years.Currently using Rega Saturn,Rega Mira 3,Castle Chesters,PC,Beresford Caiman,Revolver/Linn TT with various Rega,Chord and Atlas leads.I have a second system which is a Moth 30 passive pre ,biamped Quad 405's,Creek Tuner Cambridge Audio CDP and Castle Cliftons.I'm after a Rega Maia 3 cos I like biamping but any suggestions on floorstanders to go with Rega kit ?Cheers Mark.

dubman23, Jan 30, 2012
  11. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

Welcome Joe, Mark. I hope you'll like it here.

Dev, Jan 30, 2012
  12. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Joe,

I've got a pair of Exports and some Quad kit.
    Lovely stuff :)

RobHolt, Jan 30, 2012
  13. bottleneck

Markus S Trade

Rob, you can welcome just about anybody here and say you have some of the same stuff as they.

Markus S, Jan 31, 2012
  14. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Markus,

Yes my place does rather resemble a hi-fi museum :)

regards,

RobHolt, Jan 31, 2012
  15. bottleneck

rockinglicks

Hi!

I am new here and want to just say hello to all. I love music of rock, reggae, R&B, genres.

rockinglicks, Nov 13, 2013
  16. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Hi and welcome - hope you find the site useful :)

RobHolt, Nov 13, 2013
  17. bottleneck

rockinglicks

Thank you!

rockinglicks, Nov 18, 2013
  18. bottleneck

Surdo

Hello, just arrived on this forum.

I'm putting together a couple of systems, one that will double as a home studio and a system for listening to music; the other system, specifically for music listening (2 channel as well). My budget is a bit limited and I live in a country where imports are heavily taxed – but I'll be making some posts in the future asking how to improve my system in increments.

For the studio I have a pair of Tannoy system 12 DMT IIs, a budget mixer that I plan to upgrade, an RME interface to a computer and a Sunfire Signature 600 stereo power amp. Very happy with the sound.

For the other system I have a pair of JBL 4312As – again, old monitors. These sound very good to me although don't have the definition of the Tannoys and are lighter on bass - that's OK. I've placed an order for a Croft micro 25 pre-amp and the Series 7 power amp. I'll use the preamp with the other system too. My turntable is a Project P 1.2 which I'm currently running through a no-name preamp into the mixer while waiting for the crofts.

As well as posting questions about how to improve the turntable I'm also in the market for a low-cost but good CD player and/or a network player.

Cheers, Iain

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    Surdo, Mar 2, 2014
  19. bottleneck

Labarum

Welcome Surdo.

Some pictures of your kit would be nice in due course.

Labarum, Mar 2, 2014
  20. bottleneck

Surdo

Thanks Brian - I'll hold on the photos for a bit - everything is jammed into a space less than 2 metres wide before we move house - can't see much for the mess. I forgot to add musical listening tastes to my post: Brazilian popular music mainly between the 50s and up to the late 1970s, jazz and latin jazz, some nu-jazz, classical and contemporary classical, electroacoustic music, very rarely rock music these days although there's still a Captain Beefheart album amongst the LPs - also some old Brian Eno LPs and other things. Cheers

Surdo, Mar 2, 2014
Ask a Question