Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

merlin

Ah there you all are you scallywags;)

Just thought I would drop by GH to check things out:eek:

Glad to see all you shining wits have found a new home, and delighted to see business as normal.

System is as before, totally satisfactory,giving time for upgrades elsewhere (car, bike, life etc!). I like to think of myself as a reformed hifiholic, so I'm afraid I doubt I will be able to add much to the forum. But hey, it's always interesting to read of man's persuit of Nirvana.

Good luck to this place and to all of you.

I thank you;)

merlin, Jun 23, 2003
  2. bottleneck

Robbo

Thanks Merlin,

Welcome to the forum:D

Robbo

Robbo, Jun 23, 2003
  3. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Yes - Thanks Merlin. Welcome back! How was the cycling?

I'm sure we'll be able to get you out of that TacT gear and fall off the wagon back into hifiaholic-ness :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  4. bottleneck

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    welcome back, hope you enjoyed your holiday.
    even though you have jumped on the box waggon and are riding off into the sunset i hope you'll contribute to the music area of the forum as you had some interesting musical tastes that ran fairly paralell to mine.

once again welcome back and see you arround.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 23, 2003
  5. bottleneck

Sid and Coke

Hello all,
    Sid is in da new house, very nice (and familiar) it looks too, well done .
    My music replay is split 60/40 between CD and LP. i tend to buy most of my new stuff on CD as i can listen to it at home, car, and work. Work and Car being really, really painfull experiences but help me to appreciate my fairly modest Home Hi-Fi that much more. If I really like an new album it is also bought on sparkly new vinyl and cherished to death. Front end is Linn LP12/Valhalla/Akito/1012Gx all very recently, fully dealer serviced and brought back to original Linn spec/parts. CD is via a current , but bargain bucket Sony DVD transport and Rotel DAC. These feed Rotel Pre/Pwr into Mission 782's. MF X-can and Senn HD580's regularly give me head. All this is powered off a DIY dedicated Hi-Fi mains spur and active filter network. I've even bought a couple of aftermarket mains leads , maybe you where right after all tony ;) .
    i like all different kinds of music Modern Brit Pop Oasis, Blur, Shed Seven, etc, etc being faves. All kinds of Rock music, NWOBHM being fave, I'm also regularly watching the new rock and punky stuff on Kerrang, MTV2, etc. I hate and despise boy bands and girl bands, also pop idol types , exept for Darius Daneesh (?) as he's kinda outspoken and he plays and writes his own stuff. If you fancy a small smirk but not a full blown laugh , switch on to one of the music channels where they are playing this boy/girl band stuff then mute the sound and watch them do their dance routines, pathetic with no sound but sort of funny all the same, OK then I'll admit it is uppose some of the birds are a bit tasty :p I like some classical music but not that modern Chaotic Noise stuff ( last night of the proms 1995 -you get the (aural) picture ? I love Opera music only since Italia '90 though and only really the well known common stuff ( discovering Opera was a great magazine cw/CD series of a few years ago that i collected).
    The only music genres that I really don't like are Country Music (of any flavour) apart from Ryan Adams and some modern rap/gangsta/R&B/in fact pretty much anything that would get played on MTV Base, MTV dance or Kiss satellite channels.

Tunes that are getting played to death and driving 'er indoors up the wall atm include :
    Strokes- This is it ( every single track !!), Coldplay- A rush of blood , Good Charlotte - young and hopeless , Paul Weller- days of speed. Eva Cassidy's songbird and Ryan Adams - Gold, are always near the front of the record pile also.

After re-reading the first post;

edited to add:
    I live in Scotland, originate from the British Midlands and have lived far and wide, including UK, Europe and the Middle East. My second Hobby is keeping tropical fish. i work as an Aircarft Maintenance Engineer working on all Airfarme , Engine , Electrical and Avionic systems but only really enjoy doing Airframe and Engines, Unfortunately all of the problems seem to be with Electrics and Avionics, 20 years in the business now and still learning lots!!!
    Catch you later..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2003
    Sid and Coke, Jun 24, 2003
  6. bottleneck

merlin

Awww Shucks Guys! Thanks!

The cycling was great, decided to get a power supply upgrade for the bike. Made quite a difference, I can now enjoy riding for a lot longer without rider fatigue setting in:D

Soundwise, I can now just concentrate on adding to the CD collection, the system now allows me to listen to anything ( including 5.99 cheapy compilations) and enjoy the music. I reckon that should be the goal. Although a few weeks of listening to a discman whilst eating fresh food overlooking French vineyards was possibly more pleasurable.

Anyway, I'll post the final musicmaker on the other thread for those interested in alternatives to the endless boxshifting;)

I thank you

merlin, Jun 24, 2003
  7. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

power supply upgrade?? on a pushbike??? whats that mate, a new pair of legs? :D

Good to see you back on the forum.
    All the best
    Chris

bottleneck, Jun 24, 2003
  8. bottleneck

HenryT

Have we entered a time warp or something?

Hi Merlin,

Welcome back and good to see you around these parts again. :D

A nice long holiday is the best upgrade there is (for the soul as well as a good cure for audiophile-itis), and so is spending time away with nothing more than a Walkman for music. You really get to appreciate the main rig when you get back home.

I'm planning to go away for a whole month in December, looking forward to it already. :cool:

HenryT, Jun 24, 2003
  9. bottleneck

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'll put down a few things as well.

I also collect various bits of hifi. This adds to the fun element of this hobby. I also has allowed me to experience many different combinations. It also allows me to see how they tick.

I have a science /engineering background, I work at a University in the Science department.

I have always liked music from quite an early age. My (joint) first love was Ska/ Rocksteady / early Reggae. This was played alot when I was a kid. Also the radio was always on so I picked up the music of the day.

I latched on the soul, funk of the late 60s/ early 70s as well as the pop of the day. (glam rock etc). One of the best presents I got as a kid was a radio at Christmas 1973. Spent many hours listening under the bed covers. Radio 1 & Luxemberg were the first choices.

I developed a liking for 70s music taking in Disco (other first love), Soul funk, Pop, Punk/New wave etc.

As I got older, I had more money & I tried to dip my toes into as many styles as possible. And, I'm glad to say, I have done.

Being a DJ has help my musicial knowledge & my record collection. Also good for winning pop quizzes.

I have well over 12,000 records & CDs. ( I need to got all these logged) covering many different styles & artists.

I have a big Disco collection, a big funk, soul RnB (old & new) collection & a fair size Ska/reggae collection & a good hip hop/electo collection. I have a very good dance & house music collection. I have a huge 70s/80s collection. The 60s side of thing is getting bigger all the time with a good diversity of 90s modern/ recent stuff. I do have bits & bobs from the pre 60s era, some rock n roll, Rhythm n Blues, Blues & Jazz.

There is very little I really don't like. I don't listen to classical much ( I do have quite a few albums), Not too keen on a lot of country and western. I do certain Jazz styles. Prog rock can be hit or miss plus some experimental stuff can be found to be wanting. If the music has a groove, a funk, some soul, it will get the thumbs up from me.

All I need now is a bigger house. ;)

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jun 24, 2003
  10. bottleneck

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Here here!!! :dj:

MO!, Jun 24, 2003
  11. bottleneck

skyman

Hello,
    I lurked a lot on Groovehandle but never got round to registering but I thought that I might as well register here :D.

I have a very modest system:

Rotel ra-01
    Marantz cd4000
    B&W 601s3
    FFRC cables
    QED Qnex2

I mostly listen to bands like Coldplay, Aqualung, Delirious? and Turin Brakes. I also like the two most recent David Gray albums :eek:. I am currently starting a 10 week holiday after GCSEs so I am looking into getting into some good ol' BIY maybe making a gainclone amplifier and possible some speakers if I can find the cash. :cool:

skyman, Jun 24, 2003
  12. bottleneck

cookiemonster

Welcome to the forum skyman.

You'll have to post your potential amp and speaker projects and ideas in the DIY section.

cheers

cookiemonster, Jun 24, 2003
  13. bottleneck

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Skyman! Hello and indeed welcome! Have you tried filling your Marantz wit blu tack yet :D

Going by the bands you list as some of your fav's, Nicolai Dunger sounds right up your street! May be worth checking out if you've not already.

MO!, Jun 25, 2003
  14. bottleneck

titian

Hi everyone,
    just a quick post to say that I just became a member of ZeroGain.

enjoy life

titian

titian, Jun 25, 2003
  15. bottleneck

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Greetings all.

Some familiar names, some not.... Some of you will know me, many won't. Hello anyway. :D

I-S, Jun 25, 2003
  16. bottleneck

cookiemonster

Welcome to the forum Isaac :D have a nosey about. :MILD:

its a safe, cosey place......

cheers

cookiemonster, Jun 25, 2003
  17. bottleneck

lowrider Live music is surround

Welcome back Titian... :D

lowrider, Jun 26, 2003
  18. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Yes indeed - welcome back :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 26, 2003
  19. bottleneck

jshack

Funny that,

I had a tranny, must of been 7 or so.

It has a headphone socket, and I had the phones. I just used to sit on the wall down the cul-de-sac and listen to Radio 1. Hours on end.

Of an evening, the thing used to be on speaker for Radio Luxembourg. It was the only way I'd get to sleep. Me Mam used to come in and turn it off when I'd hit nod.

So there you go. You must be thinking of "compulsive obsessive" who has had a bit of a sad childhood.

and you're probably right.

jshack, Jun 29, 2003
  20. bottleneck

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I wasnt into trannys when I was 7 (Linda lusardy was more my cup of tea:p )

However, I did used to listen to Luxembourg and also Radio Stoke!! (Lee Finan I think). Ho hum, those were the days.

lAmBoY, Jun 29, 2003
Ask a Question