Welcome newcomers!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bottleneck

jshack

:)

jshack, Jun 29, 2003
  2. bottleneck

sideshowbob Trisha

I believe this is what's known as an understatement. :cool:

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 29, 2003
  3. bottleneck

MO! MOnkey`ead!

soooooooooooo many jokes!

MO!, Jun 30, 2003
  4. bottleneck

vb58

Me and my system

As I am new here I thought I had better introduce myself.

My name is Vance, I am into just about every kind of music you can think of, not big on classical or modern jazz though. I guess the most often listened to is rock, reggae and r&b.

I work as an IT manager, and am based out of Hampshire.

My system is pretty much standard flat earth. LP12/RB300/MC15 super, CD3.5/Hicap, Nac102/Hicap/Snapsc, Nap250 feeding into Dynaudio Audience 70's at the moment. Although I have and am 'sorting' a pair of Linn Isobariks.

I also have a modified 42.5 with 'upgraded' snaps, a pair of monoblocked 110's with IBL's. This currently is fed from a Sony SACD, can't remember the model, I am in the office currently.

I also love 'trying' to play bass, drums and a bit of keyboards. Amazingly I haven't had any complaints from the neighbours yet.

So that's me, speak to you all again soon.

Vance

vb58, Jul 8, 2003
  5. bottleneck

cookiemonster

Welcom to the forum Vance:)

(Is it me or do 98% of the population seem to work in IT now?!)

cookiemonster, Jul 8, 2003
  6. bottleneck

vb58

Working in IT

Although I love the money, which I don't see enough of, my ex see's that:grrr: I have been in the IT game too long now and am looking for a way out. I am thinking of going into the pub game. Done it before, private club, forgot how much I really enjoyed it.

But yes, there are a lot of people in the IT game, but also sadly, a lot of good IT people are un-employed.

Vance

vb58, Jul 8, 2003
  7. bottleneck

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Re: Me and my system

Now them there is some tasty speakers!

MO!, Jul 8, 2003
  8. bottleneck

vb58

Dynaudio's

I do like them. They do most of the things I look for, they just don't quite fill the room like Briks. The only trouble is, I don't feel I will get the Briks sounding good in my current room.

One thing is for sure though, I am not selling them. They are one of those speakers that you upgrade something else, they just get better and better.

Vance

vb58, Jul 8, 2003
  9. bottleneck

HenryT

Hi Vance! Welcome! :) Sounds like you're a one man band, do you play in a band and/or do you record your own material?

More like 98% of this forum which isn't representative of the populas as a whole :eek:. Mind you, I do think there is a strong correlation between those who work in IT, their strong needs for music and the need for slightly higher standards of replay equipment than those who are into music but less technically inclined. There is a whole world outside of IT, but what else I'd rather being doing, have yet to decide on that...

HenryT, Jul 8, 2003
  10. bottleneck

vb58

Music and bands

Hi,

I'm not in a band at the moment, I have filled in for a bass player when he was ill recently but that's all. In the recent past anyway. I have written a couple of 'melodies' for want of a better word, the music is there, just no lyrics. Not one of my stronger points words !!

A couple of guys at work that I jam with occasionally like the music though, but it will never be top 20 material. I just do it for the fun of it more than anything.

One of the things I enjoy doing is picking a song or two from the bands that I am currently listening to and try jamming along. One thing I do have is an ear for picking out the right notes, normally anyway. Depends how much alcohol has been consummed :)

Vance

vb58, Jul 8, 2003
  11. bottleneck

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Re: Working in IT

Snap! Join the club. I used to really enjoy software engineering. Since I became a systems engineer and project manager, it's all gone downhill. I can do the job and the money is fantastic but I am as soooooooooooo bored :(

Now that the hifi is upgraded and the mortgage is gone, it's getting harder to stay on at this lark, but, just like Henry, I don't know what I might do instead :confused:

Chris

technobear, Jul 10, 2003
  12. bottleneck

cookiemonster

I have the opposite dilemma - i have that much i would like to do - and i don't mean particular pursuits like skydiving or something, just thinking and relaxing, reading and music, and being with like minded folk (sad i know - i don't care), i am counting down to when i can realistically afford to give up work and become a professional dosser. Work is a necessary evil and a means to an end for me. Pay my taxes to be left in peace.
    Hopefully not for that many more years.......

cookiemonster, Jul 10, 2003
  13. bottleneck

Onno

hi, new here

Hi,

Please let me introduce myself. My name is Onno.
    I'm a Dutch student in mechanical engineering.
    My musical tastes vary from extreme metal to... well ...er... extreme metal, mainly. Despite the horrendous sound of my preffered musical artists' pieces I've decided a few years ago to put together a decent audio system. This in order to extract as much musical information as possible from the mixture of distortion, grunting and blasting that this musical style consists of.

My system:

Onkyo Automatic turntable (I don't use this one very often as I think it might be badly set up and I might damage my records)
    Marantz cd67se (main source (duh))
    MF E10
    MBQuart 350 s floorstanders

From what I've heard, this Flat Earth stuff appeals to me. A high priority for my system should be being able to follow individual instruments separately and hearing what is played. Things like soundstage or instrument placement or timbre don't really apply to metal that much IMHO... In that light the best upgrade I ever made might be the Ixos super spikes I put under my speakers. So much more detail and tightness in the bass regions. It makes it much easier to follow the bass guitar lines.

Upgrades to be made are the turntable and maybe amplification as I could use some more power. this means either heavier amps or more sensitive speakers. Any suggestions are welcome, though I'm on a tight budget. Second hand stuff might be an option.

Onno, Jul 14, 2003
  14. bottleneck

Robbo

Hallo Onno,

Welkom op het forum!

Groeten, Robbo

Robbo, Jul 14, 2003
  15. bottleneck

Onno

chekc!

een hollander

Onno, Jul 14, 2003
  16. bottleneck

Robbo

Nee, Ik ben Engels, Maar mijn vriendin komt uit Nederland. Ik Spreek een beetje Nederlands, maar niet erg veel:D

Robbo

Robbo, Jul 14, 2003
  17. bottleneck

HenryT

Hello Onno,

Welcome! :) I know we have at least one other "extreme" metal head on this forum, jshack, haven't seen him posting for a bit now. I feel you 2 might have some interesting exchange of musical ideas.

Me, I don't get much heavier than the odd bit of Metallica really.

Robbo, very impressive! :D Did your girl friend type that, or was that lapse into (apparently?) fluent Dutch totally un-assisted? ;)

HenryT, Jul 14, 2003
  18. bottleneck

Robbo

Henry, All my own work:D

Robbo, Jul 15, 2003
  19. bottleneck

MO! MOnkey`ead!

but did it make any sense ;)

the first bit looks like something about bending angles! Iron?

"the cheese is old and MOuldy"

MO!, Jul 15, 2003
  20. bottleneck

michaelab desafinado

Yes MO! it made perfect sense to me who doesn't officially know any Dutch but being fluent in English :eek: and German (my mother's German) makes it pretty straight forward:

It says:

No, I'm English, but my girlfriend comes from Holland, I speak a bit of Dutch, but not very much!

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 15, 2003
Ask a Question