Well I had to say it!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Tim F

Tim F

I think it's fair to say that almost everyone on here that hasn't hear a great deal of hifi thinks their system is awesome. Wow! the upgrades of adding a green pen to the edge of a CD or a CD17 Ki Sig is amazing. Well errrr.... nope. I truely wish that no newbie would ever post and sometimes I even wish I'd shut up (in fact that's most of the time)! Respect due to those who know their stuff. I'd now like you to list yourselves. If you've heard a massive number of systems and know what really great hifi is please reply. (starting with WM)

Oh and I must point out, this has nothing to do with personal choice of cables etc. it's down to having found the finest system for yourself after years of searching.... if you truely know what you like then list yourselves....

Thanks, Tim

PS. Yeah it's controversial but I wouldn't comment on a Ferrari if I'd never driven one.

Tim F, Jan 30, 2006
  2. Tim F

Tenson Moderator

If you think you have nothing left to learn, in fact you know nothing at all.

I think that goes for Hi-Fi. Anyone who would publicly say they know better than most other people probably doesn't know as much as those who are modest and stay quiet.

Of course saying this excludes me from knowing anything! :p

Did you have a bad experiance Tim?

Tenson, Jan 31, 2006
  3. Tim F

MO! MOnkey`ead!

perhaps a little drunk when posted?

MO!, Jan 31, 2006
  4. Tim F

Sid and Coke

Been there a few times , sh!t did i really say that, Oh no ... emergency delete. :)

Thats why i mostly keep my beak out of political debates these days, ( a 2004 new years resolution), probably don't know enough about the subject anyway, and I also honestly think that most folk who start them are just spoiling for a fight anyway, (especially the ones who claim to be peacable, love thy neighbour types, they are just soooo transparent....) .

Must dash cleaning my racks at the moment , oven racks that is :), ( new years resolution 2005 - clean oven before end of Jan 06 ) That oven Pride Stuff is wicked, bloody nasty stuff though , just got a little splash inside my rubber glove - ouch ! ...

Sid and Coke, Jan 31, 2006
  5. Tim F

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tim,
    i think if you've heard ANY hi-fi system whether it be bose, boulder or bel canto you are entitled to an opinion about hi-fi equipment and to express it. it's up to the reader to apply the bs filter and sort the wheat from the chaff. of course thats just MY opinion ;)

julian2002, Jan 31, 2006
  6. Tim F

zanash

I can say that in my 35 years of meddling with hifi I've only heard a couple.........................................................that played real music! [mine not included]

I'm not a hifi spotter I don't keep a book, but I think that if I hear say 10 to 20 different systems a year [you can do the math]. Ifeel I'm quallified to have an opinion. That said I in no way have the experience of many who are actively involved in the hifi industry.

zanash, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Tim F

LinearMan

I have been an enthusiast for over 30 years and I've owned and heard many systems over that time. Every system produced music, but it was more enjoyable on some systems than others! I feel that my experience does allow me to have a valid opinion and also to be able to take what might be called a 'wider' view on the hi-fi 'scene'. I'm also technically qualified and have an appreciation of the various technologies invloved, which helps.

However, there are some true experts on this forum who are very well qualified, academically and vocationally, to express opinions. You certainly shouldn't take everything as 'gospel', but you should certainly take heed of what's being said. Many of these are also invloved in the hi-fi industry, which often provides an interesting additional perspective.

But remember the wise word of Pliny:

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain"

LinearMan, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Tim F

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I dont really get this thread... if someone wants to think their system is great, then whats the problem? What does it matter what they've heard? If they like it, then I have no problem with them saying so... and whether I've heard more kit than them, who am I to tell them otherwise?

This kind of attitude does not do this hobby any favours.

PBirkett, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Tim F

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm debating whether this thread has any particular value...

I-S, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Tim F

penance Arrogant Cock

I think the mogadons have worn off.

penance, Jan 31, 2006
  11. Tim F

Stereo Mic

Isaac,

it's one of the most sane comments made for years IMO. The important thing is to remember that forums are only of use as entertainment. If you want sound advice, read the mags.

Stereo Mic, Jan 31, 2006
  12. Tim F

ditton happy old soul

lurkers should become 'newbies' and they in turn should feel welcome to post. Admitedly some will be relatively new to hifi (thrice welcome to the club) and some will ask questions oft asked before - or, as you say, have come across the 'tweaks' and expect these to help boost low/mid-end hifi. But that's inevitable, for every new generation of hi-fi buffs.

My appreciation of what good kit can do for naked stereo reproduction improved greatly because of advice gotten on this and other forums, giving me confidence to buy expensive stuff, and s/h stuff (and sometimes expensive s/h stuff), that turned out to be really worthwhile use of ££. If I felt that I had to be 'qualified' to express my views I'd be very unhappy.

ditton, Jan 31, 2006
  13. Tim F

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mic,
    i'd disagree with that - a mag can tell you what a particular bit of kit sounds like a forum lets you make the contacts that allow you to listen to that bit of kit in a real world setting without any sales pressure. both have their place. mags should be treated as the glorified catalogues they are.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jan 31, 2006
  14. Tim F

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Because someone is a newbie, it doesn't mean they have little experience. They may know a lot more than you. There are plenty of people into hifi who never go near a forum.

alanbeeb, Jan 31, 2006
  15. Tim F

greg Its a G thing

Tim...
    a) I'm not fully clear from what you've written exactly what you're trying to say
    b) from what I can comprehend, I'm not sure how interesting this place would be if only those with extensive and provable :rolleyes: experience were entitled to post here.

Is there someone or something that's upset you recently?
    G

greg, Jan 31, 2006
  16. Tim F

Tim F

Alan, I wasn't refering to newbies in the scense that they are new to a forum, I meant they're new to hifi. I'm just relating my early experience of giving out some very bad advice a number of years ago!! So a couple of people had to suffer from my limited opinions. I fear that this happens fairly often and my big problem is that it's very hard to tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

To be honest I think What H mag did the most damage to my first hifi experience years ago, I was too busy buying their 5 star products and put together a rubbish system.

Tim F, Jan 31, 2006
  17. Tim F

crobo

Now there sits a man with an open mind. You can feel the draft from here (with apologies to Groucho Marx):D

crobo, Jan 31, 2006
  18. Tim F

speedy.steve

My wife knows best:D

speedy.steve, Feb 3, 2006
  19. Tim F

dreftar

Was just wondering what brand of cotton buds helps the ears to discern the hidden music concealed in the depths of grooves - This could start a new thread!!!

dreftar, Feb 3, 2006
Ask a Question