well it had to happen 1 day

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lhatkins, Jul 15, 2005.

1. lhatkins

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

hi

sorry for this but feeling a little sorry for myself.

well know i was pushing my luck and today my luck ran out.

was on my way to harry's to help him move house, giot to the bottom of a steep hill did not notice that some kind person had covered the road in gravel.

hit the gravel my front wheel locked and i went straight into the pavement, not slowly either.

well longer story short i have broken my coller bone, and various other scrapes. so typing 1 fingered at the mo as that is all that is working. now i see the use of accessibility sticky keys and mouse keys.

so sruck in for at least a week, i have dismantaled the hifi cos i was decorating.

what am i going to do? only been home a couple of hours and i am bored already.

i feel gutted, been accident free for 10 years, 1st time i have broken anything, i feel like i have let harry and myself down, though i can not see what other action i could have taken <other than walked over, no dirct bus to harrys>

although its not easy to see a possitve to this, the staff at the AE where very nice, was in there for 4.5 hours, they have given me a load of happy pills for the pain, not sure when they are supposed to work cos its really killing me, when i had the accident a couple of local residents came out to check i was ok, now if that doesn't restore your faith in people nothing will.

one last point and i mean this very seriously, my cycle helmet saved my life without a shadow of a doubt, if i wasn't wearing it i would have been in intensive care at the best, so based on that i guess i am lucky. ALLWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

lhatkins, Jul 15, 2005
  2. lhatkins

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Sorry to hear that. Hope it does not take too long before you feel OK. And sure, I always wear a helmet and have for the last 15 years. Parisian drivers are not exactly friendly.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2005
    Sir Galahad, Jul 15, 2005
  3. lhatkins

penance Arrogant Cock

heal quick Lee

penance, Jul 15, 2005
  4. lhatkins

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I had a bad injury once, it was my fault, I was speeding on the pavement as a 11 year old kid doing 25MPH, I had to suddenly stop but my back break and failed, so only the front one worked. I feel head first and my helmet cracked open. I had a bloody bad head ache and lots of brusies but luckily I didn't break anything.

If I didn't have a helmet I may not be here now. Moral of the story always have a helmet.

I hope you get better soon, at least you get some time of work :D

amazingtrade, Jul 15, 2005
  5. lhatkins

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Coller bone bet that ****ing hurt.

I fractured my shoulder on a pair of roller blades once, it killed for weeks.

garyi, Jul 15, 2005
  6. lhatkins

I broke my collerbone when I was 4 years old at Pontins Prestatyn I think it hurt as I remember it.

7. lhatkins

Tenson Moderator

You guys must ride bloody fast to do that sort of damage! Whenever I ride I don't do more than about 12mph, its no race :p

Tenson, Jul 15, 2005
  8. lhatkins

julian2002 Muper Soderator

lee,
    hope you feel better soon.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jul 15, 2005
  9. lhatkins

hehe well lhatkins perhaps is old enough to know no to do that. But when I was 12 it was a big race. I once managed 33Mph on my bike on the pavement.

So I technicaly breaking the speed limit on the pavement.

I was so stupid looking back but when you're younger you do stupid stuff.

10. lhatkins

Tenson Moderator

I hope you recover well lhatkins

Tenson, Jul 15, 2005
  11. lhatkins

thanks for your kind words guys, i hope thing improve quickly too really can not take 6 weeks of this, is it really going to take that long??

ya i do not ride fast, average into work is 12-13mph.

but this time it was a very steep hill, had brakes hard on to try and slow down, then hit the loose gravel, same colour as the road and it as all over very quickly, so quickly i thought i got away with it, picked my bike up and thought i was ok, 10 mins later however it was a different story.

I am not putting this down to my sight, i noticed that even cars where skidding on the gravel, just very bad luck, as soon as this heels <end of august, well gutted> i will be back on the bike again, but if i am going to visit harry, i'm taking a different route, that road is leathal.

Well disapointed i didn't get any morphine though, could do with some this does bl00dy hurt, even after 400mg of ibuprofen!

doig things with one hand is a pain in the shoulder!

lhatkins, Jul 15, 2005
  12. lhatkins

Dev Moderator

OUCH!!! you don't do things by halves, do you:).

I hope you'll make a speedy recovery.

Dev, Jul 15, 2005
  13. lhatkins

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

gravel! - the worst thing for cyclists IMHO.

well, worse thing is Ice.. one moment you're riding, the next you're eggplant on the floor!

Sorry to hear about the accident Lee.

Gotta get that hifi back together mate, you'll be bored whitless in a day or 2!

get well soon

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 15, 2005
  14. lhatkins

thanks chris

arr ya ice, horride stuff again you get little warning, could someone invent 2x2 drive, traction control and abs for bikes!? :)

the hifi is in the loft, got no chance getting to it, got the wifes syste that will have to do.

bored in a day or 2, i'm bored now.

trying to figure out how i'm going to sleep without lying on my shoulder, going to have to strap myself in or something.

lhatkins, Jul 15, 2005
  15. lhatkins

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

ouch,busted my shoulder a few years ago and yes it does take time to mend,and yes its a pain trying to do stuff with olny 1 hand,got very good at one handed roll ups though,most essentiall for the pain relief.make sure you do all the exercises that the physo tells you to do,but dont over do it,i made the mistake of thinking more is better and ended up with a frozen shoulder.and finally get yerself a new cycle helmet, the old one aint no use anymore

themadhippy, Jul 15, 2005
  16. lhatkins

thanks les, ya will get a new helmet, annoying though not a scratch on it or the bike for that matter!
    ya i am getting faster at this one finger typing, don't smoke so that is 1 less thing 2 woeey about.
    how did you bust your shoulder then mate?

AT, sounds like you had a lucky escape there, i guess your more flexible when your a kid, you get more brittle as you get older.

anyone else got any war stories to share?

lhatkins, Jul 16, 2005
  17. lhatkins

rsand I can't feel my toes

Lee good luck with the healing.

As for sleeping I recently had an opperation to remove some excess bone from my elbow which was very sore and swolen (at least I got sh1t loads of morphene pumped in) to keep pressure off and stop the stitches pulling I changed sides of the bed and had a couple of rolled up towels to rest my arm on one and the other to wedge me into position - worked 4 me.

rsand, Jul 16, 2005
  18. lhatkins

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Bad luck on the crash - at least the bike's OK!

A few years ago I high-sided my mosickle on some diesel on Scrubs Lane in Shepherds Bush. I was doing about 40mph (I know, 30 limit..) and the 220kg bike landed on my knee.. As I lay in the road cars beeped at me to get out of the way, and only an old foreign lady and her daughter helped lift the bike off me. I got back on the bike, which was still working on 1 cylinder, rode home, then walked 3/4 mile to my nearest bike shop, bought a spark plug and cap, fixed them onto the bike and made sure it worked, then came into the house.
    The I peeled off my leather trousers and found that there was a huge gash and that my knee was about the same size as my thigh.. Amazing it's possible to walk 1.5 miles after tearing a cruciate ligament if the adrenalin's flowing! Never washed the leathers either...

leonard smalls, Jul 16, 2005
  19. lhatkins

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Ouch.... I've not done collarbone but it's a common biker's injury.

Tenson- just last week I clocked up around 36-37.... OFF road.

I-S, Jul 16, 2005
  20. lhatkins

rsand I can't feel my toes

Has to be done!

rsand, Jul 16, 2005
Ask a Question