What Berlioz Requiem CD would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by moz, Jan 10, 2005.

1. moz

moz

Guys,

What Berlioz Requiem CD would you recommend? I can't find any locally so I'll have to order online so I might as well order the "best" one I can get.

TIA,
    Grant

moz, Jan 10, 2005
  2. moz

PeteH Natural Blue

I've never heard a wholly satisfactory recording, and TBH I'm not sure that there really is one. Out of those I've heard (Davis, Dutoit, Shaw, Previn) I'd be inclined to go for the Shaw as a first choice, with a slightly better general standard of choral singing than the others and plenty of dramatic urgency, aided by very good recorded sound (albeit not quite as spacious and clear as the Dutoit).

PeteH, Jan 10, 2005
  3. moz

Philip King Enlightened User

I've got the Davis and it not one of his better perfromances imho.

Philip King, Jan 10, 2005
  4. moz

GrahamN

As this is one of my favourite pieces, it's a shame there's not a 100% recommendable version. The Davis gets most of the critics votes, but to my ears it's let down by a truly appalling tenor section, and I'[ve never been a fan of Tear either. It's a shame he didn't re-record it in his recent LSO live series. I have the Dutoit, which is very well recorded, but misses a real gutsy dramatic commitment. John Mark Ainsley's tenor solo in the Sanctus is wonderful though. There's a new recording from Atlanta/Spano/Telarc that seems to be good competition for the Shaw - the reviewer here though is very much a Davis man.

FWIW though, the best performance I know of by far is Bernstein/Orchestre Nationale de France + O.Phil. de Radio France/CBS Masterworks - but it looks like it never made it to CD.

GrahamN, Jan 10, 2005
  5. moz

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

It did come out on CD in early 90's, on a medium priced set. I remember it from when I worked in a record shop.

It was part of the Sony Bernstein Royal Edition, had cover paintings by Prince Charles for some totally unknown reason. This is it

There was also a recording by Previn on EMI, not sure if currently available but I think I remember good reviews of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
    alanbeeb, Jan 11, 2005
  6. moz

moz

Thanks all for your responses & to GrahamN for the review link.

moz, Jan 11, 2005
Ask a Question