What does an Ortofon T20 mkII do?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Goomer, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Goomer

Goomer

Hi there

This may be a very dumb question, and I'm sorry if it is, but I picked up one of these little boxes from a charity shop over the weekend and want to know if I can use it in my system. I currently have a Goldring 1042(MM)on an LP12/Syrinx PU3, running into a Musical Fidelity X-LPS MM/MC phonostage.

Is the T20 a 'step up' transformer and, if so, what does this mean? Is it used to boost the lower output of a MC cartridge so that it can run into the MM input of a phono stage, or is it something competely different? If it is used to boost the signal to that of a MM, would the use of this be preferred to the MC input on my phono amp. And, finally, what would be a good choice of cartridge to pair up with it, bearing in mind that I listen to loads of different styles of music(with a slight preference to Rock)?

Sorry for the garbled query - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Goomer.

Goomer, Sep 8, 2003
  2. Goomer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya - from memory - and really, my memory isnt that hot..

yes, the T20 is a step up transformer (I THINK so).
    yes, step up transformers go infront of your MM phono stage so that you can use a MC cartridge.

If you have a MM goldring, dont think it'll benefit your existing cart

I really need to get back to work!!
    Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Sep 8, 2003
  3. Goomer

The Devil IHTFP

Google it, or ask your dealer?

The Devil, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Goomer

Goomer

Thank you, bottleneck, for the confirmation as to what the t20 does, and thank you, The Devil, for the advice for other sources of info. I will contact my dealer for advice regarding suitable cartridges at some point in the not too distant future, but wanted, in the interim, to get some advice from people who won't be turning a profit for giving it.

Cheers,

Goomer.

Goomer, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Goomer

SimonConnell

Tuppence

If the 1042 is going well, stick with it - you can get a replacement stylus for less than the whole replacement cost. The T20's didn't cost much when new, so it's a bit of a silly thing to upgrade to an MC solely to make use of them - they'll make £30 on eBay and would hence be better off sold and the money put towards either a new MM cart, or a higher quality step-up/ MC phono stage for if/when you decide to go MC.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Sep 8, 2003
Ask a Question