What IS Classical?

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by RDD, Oct 31, 2003.

1. RDD

GrahamN

Just did a quick search...
    Debussy is mentioned on 3 posts other than on this thread,
    Ravel on 12 and...yes...
    Granados gets in on 2 as well.

Those of us who like this stuff do though spend more time listening than posting!

GrahamN, Dec 7, 2003
  2. RDD

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I suspect that if you saw how left field my taste in rock is it may make more sense – I've had people stare at my record collection for ages trying to find something they recognise to play!

The link looks really interesting, thanks, I'll try and figure it out tomorrow. Out of the three main serialists Webern is probably my favourite, I really rate his string quartets – I have the Complete Works CD box / Boulez (Sony) and also the Complete music for string quartet / Quartet Italiano on LP (Philips). The versions on the Philips LP are utterly amazing.

IMHO music has to move forward, and serialism was an important stage, just as say minimalism was in the art world. If nothing moves forward you are left with talent-less rehashing of the past such as Lloyd-Weber's truly painful Requiem etc. Music is a continually moving target, it stagnates if it does not progress. Pop music is currently in its worst rut ever with Karaoke Idol / Karaoke Academy lowest common denominator reality tv shows forming the basis for the UK charts.

Verklaerte Nacht is indeed stunning.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 8, 2003
  3. RDD

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Thank you for your kind words, but your confidence is badly misplaced in this case! I know virtually nothing about impressionism in music. I can't understand Debussy's harmony at all. It seems he just creates an effect with it and I find the result very difficult to understand.

Ravel is another story. His harmony is more understandable (I think) and I can detect some harmonic structure even if I can pinpoint the difference between them. Ravel also seems to like well defined melodies; but that is really not the reason I prefer him to Debussy. It is the harmonical part that I don't understand.

And Graham , I couldn't agree more: this minimalistic trend is the direct result of Schoenberg's aversion to understandable music.

Now if the music had developed from Bartok instead of serialism things would be quite different.

There are good signs, however: there are a lot of modern composers who are not minimalists and not serialists and they just compose, ahem.., music, understandable and about our time. This is very clear in French organ music (thierry Escaich - spelling?) is a good example.

Some of Arvo Pärt's works are very interesting, too. I listened to a piece written for a lot of cellos (he later added percussion and perhaps some violins) and it was quite impressive (but a bit boring, the growning and lamenting went on and on!).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2003
    Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 8, 2003
  4. RDD

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

The last fugue of the WTC I has the 12 tones in the theme; a fitting tribute to the work and one of the most marvelous fugues ever composed.

Somewhat difficult like at first (the theme is very strange) and aftewards to follow, but keep trying and you'll get there (Leonardt's is, by a very large margin, the better interpretation IMO). Difficult to play, too.

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 9, 2003
Ask a Question