What makes good music good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PeteH, Feb 6, 2005.

1. PeteH

Corky 20th Century survivor

Buckinghamshire and soon moving to Yorkshire
    Yeah, I have similar feelings about what I hope for in my system (not off topic, honest guv :)), - it's as if you're saying something about being aware of that individual musician, the choices in everything from which of their instruments to use, its timbre, it's behaviour when they attack it like this, or hesitate like that... all the way through to the places to breathe, how close or how far - their personality in that music. It and they become alive.

In recordings though, I feel that the mixing engineer and producers should be honoured and respected along with the musicians. My dad was a professional musician and recorded quite a bit. He and the others I heard talk about it in the orchestra described the engineers and producer as nob twiddlers. Even as a kid, I knew this to be a term of disrespect. If only he realised that they were as much professionals as were the musicians and that they could have such a profound effect both on how they sounded and whether or not that recording would acquire a lasting reputation - part of his legacy in their hands...

Corky, Apr 18, 2008
Ask a Question