whats the best speaker cable between...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
    mr cat, Jul 28, 2004
  2. mr cat

analoguekid Planet Rush

Possibly not, you mention you have half decent cable, but what type.

INO cable is important, but the results are subtle compared to say an amp or speakers, maybe you should save yer money and get new speakers that are less mushy.

analoguekid, Jul 28, 2004
  3. mr cat

hi, the half decent cables are the gale XL315 (http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=43141)

I do intend to upgrade my speakers at some point - but I some kind of cash injection for that! :D

mr cat, Jul 28, 2004
  4. mr cat

analoguekid Planet Rush

Then I would wait, or go second hand for speeks and cable.

As I said I have always found cables to be subtle, best IMO to buy kit that you like the sound of and then add cables to enhance that sound, if you are upgrading in the nearish future, then put your cable budget towards your upgrade or buy some cd's, I really don't think cables will do what you are after, so best not to waste money on em just yet.

Others may disagree.

analoguekid, Jul 28, 2004
  5. mr cat

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
    mr cat, Jul 29, 2004
  6. mr cat

Hi, just back from my holidays - and a quick review of my new monster speaker cables!

Anyway, I removed my old Gale bi-wired cables and inserted the monster only to find that the banana plugs didn't fit inside the connector in the amp - so, I had to cut them off (Argh...what a waste!!)…well, I was aware that the cables probably hadn't been used for some time, so I wasn't too sure what to expect straight away…
    I played some music that I know has good clean bass…but wait, the bass had totally gone…could my humble Gales be better? After all, I'd heard mixed reviews of Monster speaker cables…
    I messed around with various setting, then decided to go out leaving the system on to let them burn in a bit…

A couple of days later…
    The bass has improved quite a bit - almost to the point that it's a bit too obtrusive - but its getting better all the time..…but, saying that, on some records, the bass is a bit thin, but on other is fine…the treble and soundstage are amazing tho - some of the sounds are really clear…
    I would also say that it sounds better when the volume is louder - but not to loud, but louder than my normal relaxing preference…

I'm still not 100% sure if they're better than my humble gales, but then I did only pay 26 quid (including p&p) for them…
    I may experiement with some jumpers next, but they aren't the sonic improvement that I hoped for…but still, I'm kinda happy!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2004
    mr cat, Aug 23, 2004
  7. mr cat

Zoomer

A while back i upgraded from somthing pretty much like the gale cable to cable talk 3 and there was a noticable differance but noticed quite quickly that the cable would probably better with differant speakers.

I think in general good speaker will make a differance the higher you pay for the system in the first place.

Zoomer, Aug 26, 2004
  8. mr cat

yes, I agree...speakers are my next upgrade, I just wanted to upgrade the cables is they were dirt cheap...

I'm hoping my next role will as allow me to upgrade my speakers as there will be overtime and the option to be oncall! yay!

mr cat, Aug 26, 2004
  9. mr cat

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

You'll be pleased to hear I'm still using Monster Cable from 1982 :D
    Couldn't tell the difference between that, and some Transparent expensocable I was demming...
    Didn't buy in the end; as Analogue Kid says, buy the kit you like and enhance with cable should you feel the need.
    It's like they used to say about cocaine - buying Nordost Valhalla is God's way of telling you you've got too much money ;)

leonard smalls, Aug 26, 2004
Ask a Question