Whats up with this turntable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Jul 10, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Hiya, I have just bought some crappy Sherwood turntable for my parents for just £15, it has pitch control all stupid waste of space stuff like that.

Basicaly it only seems to be playing in one channel. (the left one), the is a faint sount from the right.

Does anybody know whats up with it? thanks

amazingtrade, Jul 10, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

Joolsburger

I do, it's shite.. sorry but there it is....

Joolsburger, Jul 10, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

Yeah but my mum and dad don't care about sound quality, they just wante to play records! Oh well I guess I will have to try and take it back. And hope somebody accidently throughs a nice classic Ariston or Linn away.

4. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

Sounds like a break or dry joint somewhere in the arm cable, or it could be the cartridge. If you can borrow a cartridge you know is working, that would give a clue.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 10, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

Yeah I tried installing my spare ortofon OSE cartridge but the stupid turntable arm is instandard. Now I realise just how good my Project Debut II is in comparsion to some of this crap.

6. amazingtrade

zanash

Do you have a multimeter ?

If not borrow one !

I hope I'm not teach your mothers mother about the internal of eggs.

Disconnect the cartridge, set multimeter to continuety setting....normally beeps when probes are touched.

Using the probes on on each end of the left channel check for a beep...repeat on the right.

If alls well with the cable the problem lies else where. If one channel is not working you need to investigate each part of the cable to find the fault.

Joolsberger......If you have a problem and take the time to ask the question....It deserves to be given a decent answer. Regardeless of how crap the gear, or your own personel prejuidices.

In this instance the TT is not the best but its all they have. You need to consider that some people do not have the same spending power of others, nor the intrest.

There are plenty of other posts that deserve your "sh*te" advice ! IMO

zanash, Jul 11, 2003
  7. amazingtrade

cookiemonster

Couldn't agree more.

cookiemonster, Jul 11, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

Thanks for all your advice, I dismantled the cartridge last night and I now realise what the problem is, the stylus is wrecked, the needle is self is fine, however there should be two peices of metail which insert into the cartridge, one of these is missing, so the cartridge is only receiving the electrical singal from the left channel.

The fact I could here a slight signal from the right speaker with the volume on full is probably just due to cross talk as the interconnects built into the thing are crap.

I am going to take it back today. I've looked on ebay but I can't find anything. I would rather not buy a peice of plastic this time.

I have a spare ortofon OSE catridge with a working OM10 stylus so I may be able to fit that to a turntable if I can get an old duel 505 for £15 or somthing similar (I know its not very likely)

amazingtrade, Jul 11, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

Joolsburger

Your right chaps and I apologise..

Still at 30quid maybe the easy answer is to bin it and get something of ebay for a few quid more?

Joolsburger, Jul 11, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

I took the thing back and got my money, back, I've seen a couple of ones that look half decent on ebay from the likes of dual/nad. Not audiophile but they do at least have a proper arm with weights, a half decent ortofon cartirdge and an MDF base.

amazingtrade, Jul 11, 2003
  11. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

nsherin, Jul 11, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yup - the NAD533 is an OEM Rega P2 (built to lower standards apparently but mine sounds ace).

Ignore the bit about the Goldring Elektra being a fine cart though - it's shocking - tracks badly, distorts, is just plain - eeeuek! In fact, if you have a spare cart you can bung in an arm, getting the Rega P2 itself might be a better bet due to a 3 year guarantee... Although if you get the NAD from Richers that's only about a tenner anyway - sorted!

domfjbrown, Jul 14, 2003
Ask a Question