whats your favourite big fat solid state amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Not at all mate!

I have valves ordered already, so no good for me.

Your mate might want to buy them if he gets a 300B amp. You can order these things without a tube compliment for less money.

bottleneck, Jun 9, 2006
  2. bottleneck

murray johnson

FWIW. The circuit shown on their website suggests that the o/p tubes are running at about 33W dissipation. The WE ones are only guaranteed if run at 30w or less. I was surprised by this as I would have thought that the WE's were the best made of all the current 300B's. (certainly sound the best) I don't know how much of an issue it is really. I'm using some chinese cheap ones at 32W at the moment and they seem happy enough.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this amp in the longer term. It looks ok but there's quite a bit I'd change if I had one!

Your 2405's will be happier than they would have been with a 'sand' amp driving them! Do you have the older Alnico ones?

murray johnson, Jun 9, 2006
  3. bottleneck

Baudrillard

I mentioned it earlier but he hasnt got back- he might prefer to build the kit himself.

Baudrillard, Jun 9, 2006
  4. bottleneck

I'm sure it will be ok!

If there's any problems I can knock on his door in about 3 minutes flat! I might ask him though, so I can get feedback for anyone that might read this and want to know.

I have ''alnico living room''. The 2405's, the compression mid range horn and bass drivers are all alnico!... Im not sure about the pickups in my guitar...

bottleneck, Jun 10, 2006
  5. bottleneck

murray johnson

You really want energised pick ups in the guitar!(field coil). Much less distortion.

Actually some guitarists I know don't like them as they aren't distorted enough, too clean sounding.
    I suppose electric guitarists have different requirements to HiFi users.

murray johnson, Jun 10, 2006
  6. bottleneck

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Very nice amp bottlehead. Nearly bought one of these myself a while back. Unfortunately it was too high for my rack, so I had to knock it from the shortlist.

What kind of volume Pot does the pre-amp section use? If its an Alps Blue, should you not look to get that changed/upgraded first? Would be the most obvious weak point in the amp if it is. Your mate seems to stock a very nice selection of audiophile pots & steppers. Surely he could sort you out with a fancy AN as a favour?

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 12, 2006
  7. bottleneck

Hi DT.

We're going to put a switch in, which will either engage the passive pre-amp selector and volume control, or bypass it - so I can use my active pre-amp.

I will normally use the active pre-amp as I prefer the amp as a power amp.

bottleneck, Jun 12, 2006
Ask a Question