Whats your speaker Journey??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, May 11, 2005.

1. Ultrasonic

petercraig

a pair of goodmans stereo speakers off a mini system - not bad little speakers
    a pair of old kenwoods - ok speakers but sounded flat and dull,
    and quite boxy sound
    wharfedale xarus 5000- incredibly bassy but very harsh and quite fatiuqing
    mordaunt short aviano 6 - great bass, quite dull midrange and treble
    monitor audio rx6- great bass, very clear midrange and treble but not very natural
    mission 770 freedom- great midrange, very controlled overall sound, good treble, very good stereo imaging, punchy, alittle bass light, very clear natural sound
    mission 780 argonaut - coming soon

petercraig, Aug 2, 2011
  2. Ultrasonic

rockdog 1960 I only hit it once !

infinity 1500 brilliant but fragile tweeters. infinity RSE pollycone bass ribbon tweeter 80stastic ear splitters.altec lansing model 14s 2"horn loaded tweeter/midrange 15" paper bass.fantastic sound amazing imaging domestic disaster! sd1 nothing to toutch these for the last 25years.monitoraudio gold gx300 ORGASMATRONS!

rockdog 1960, Aug 3, 2011
  3. Ultrasonic

Dev Moderator

Not much of a journey for me.

1) Grundig bookshelf.
    2) Tannoy Profile 633
    3) Mission 774
    4) Tannoy D700

Also have Tannoy SRM10B in the second system, which replaced a pair of Tannoy Mercury2.5.

Dev, Aug 3, 2011
  4. Ultrasonic

IanG-UK

1971: First term's university grant was to go on hifi which included Wharfedale Dentons. But Comet didn't have them so they sold me Thorp Grenville TG200s - "much better because they are so much bigger!

1975: Celef Mini - I didn't know at the time but these were designed by Stuart Tyler who went on to found ProAc.

1978: Heard the Quad Electrostatic at the Harrogate Hifi Show and after getting into the 6 month order queue became the proud owner of a pair and have been an electrostatic user just about ever since. Often listened to them in the dark and saw a few arcing flashes - fortunately Quad provided a cheap and fast (same day) repair service ... and then I heard

1981: Quad ESL63 , again at the Harrogate show and again took delivery after a 6 month order queue. Could still arc them but much more tolerant of higher power. Soon mounted them on G F Deane stands and then later on Arcici stands - and finally added an REL subwoofer. Then I moved house and decided the Quads were too big so ...

1985 or so: Celestion SL600 - the nearest thing I had heard to the Quads but not near enough ...

Later in 1985: Back to a second pair of Quad ESL63s later supplemented by the Gradient SDQ63 dedicated subwoofers ... and then the journey is predictable ...

2001: Quad ESL989 and ...

2006: Quad ESL2905 - very much the practical culmination of what PJW started on in 1963 and first released in 1981. Have used them with Townshend supertweeters and then found the Murata supertweeter which is a better match aesthetically. The best loudspeaker I have heard (or more correctly not heard).

IanG-UK, Aug 3, 2011
  5. Ultrasonic

jonesi

1990ish (£cheap! small ads) - Technics (2-way model unknown)
    1992 (£99 Ultimate Audio Visual, Hertford) - JPW Sonatas (18 birthday present)
    1999 (£150 Richer Sounds, Leeds) - Eltax Symphony 6
    2007 (£175 eBay, nr Manchester) - Epos M15 (massive upgrade! Got me into hifi again)
    2008 (£250 eBay, Teeside) - Epos ES22 :)

The future??

Big boxes with big drivers! I heard some IMF TLS80s last year and would love to try them in my system. Also like to try some electrostatics at some point. Maybe some big active ATCs too but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford them :(

jonesi, Aug 4, 2011
  6. Ultrasonic

MrAcoustat MrAcoustat

[​IMG]

Wow my speaker journey, from 1970 to 1983 here are SOME of the box speakers that i have owned.

Celestion = UL-6 - UL-8 - UL-10 - Ditton 66 - Ditton 662
    Altec = 14 - 18 - 19
    Kef = 105.2
    Snell = Type Q
    Proac = Tablette - Super Tablette
    Totem = Arro
    Magnepan = 1.6QR

Then in 1984 i discovered Acoustat and NEVER looked back i have owned Spectra 22s - Spectra 33s - 2+2s - and my favorites 3 pairs of 1+1s my last pair is a rebuilt and modified pair of all steel frame and base covered with high density wood with all the latest parts available all mods are made by Jocelyn Jeanson from Quebec Canada you can see photos if you wish in my Flickr photo galery here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2014
    MrAcoustat, May 12, 2012
  7. Ultrasonic

jonesi

2012 - Update!

Well I haven't yet owned a pair of IMFs or ATCs but I currently have a very nice pair of Tannoy Berkeleys so I've finally got some big drivers!

jonesi, May 13, 2012
  8. Ultrasonic

mjp200581

I built my first proper Hi Fi during my first year at uni with some budget Warfedale speakers which cost £50 new in the sale. They were a big improvement over my old portable but didn't last long and made way for.
    Eltax Symphony 6 floorstanders. These had a really punchy sound and were great fun with dance music but were certainly not the last word in refinement and had cheap internals.
    Next up came the Eltax LR 6.5's these were around £350 new. Similar to the Symphony 6's but noticeably better in terms of clarity. My mate still has these and they aren't bad for the money.
    Ruark Prologue 1, my first really decent speakers. When I first heard these I couldn't believe how much music I had been missing. The treble quality was just sooo much better. Clarity an imaging were in a different league and the bass was now 'tight'.
    B&W DM2 these were gifted to me at around the same time as I bought the Ruarks. They weren't bad but certainly had a more vintage sound. With hindsight they might have sounded better with a more powerful amp.
    My current speakers are custom 3 way floorstanders made from a Wilmslow audio kit. They use very high spec drivers and crossover components and sound delightful to my ears. Every time I upgrade other components in my system the speakers give me more. I'd like to try a similar pair with some bigger bass drivers though such as Wilmslows ATC 50 or 100 or Prestige kits.

mjp200581, May 17, 2012
  9. Ultrasonic

felix part-time Horta

Nice to see some new posts and posters here :)

Me. I'm boring when it comes to speakers actually owned:
    - Tangent XLR2 monitors while at Uni - classic 1cu ft 8" bass-mid (by Dalesman drivers) with a 1"tweeter (in this case, something horrible by Kef replcaed by a SEAS fabric dome to vast improvement).
    - then a gap of nearly a decade based on headphones, punctuated with some DIY efforts
    - Moved house, picked-up some Impulse H6s on an informed whim. Brilliant little floorstanders
    - Quad ESL57s. A mint serviced pair, also wonderful.
    -Impulse H2s. Still have them 8yrs later and they saw-off the H6s and the Quads ultimately. They just live and breathe and cope with anything I throw at them.

There are many, many more speakers I like and could live with - Quad 989s and 2905s very near the top of the list TBH - but what I have (still) really works for me.

felix, May 18, 2012
  10. Ultrasonic

nando nando

hi guys, i had so manmy speakers thru my journey in the audio world, but some still remain in my soul, quad els 57's gale 401, celestion ditton 15, kef 104 ab, then ofcourse all the "well almost all" the tannoy dual cocentrics inc. the ILS sereies, etc,etc, not forgetting jim rogers, but since i refervished the ILS CHEVIOT MK2 i am in heaven, they are my human fulcrom, i respect that every one has one :)

nando, May 18, 2012
  11. Ultrasonic

felix part-time Horta

'I am in heaven, they are my human fulcrom, i respect that every one has one'

That's a very nice way of putting it, Nando. It's all in the balance between the aesthetic, the objective and the subjective and limited by personal constraints or resources - so different for everyone. If it makes you enjoy the music, it is good enough.

felix, May 18, 2012
  12. Ultrasonic

Jeff_C

1 Acoustic Research AR-6 1975-1977
    2 Acoustic Research AR-16 1977-1993
    3 Mission 751 1993 to present
    4 Revel M22 2013 to present
    5 Acoustic Research AR-16 2013 to present

As you may deduce the AR-16 speakers are my soul mates. I only got the Revel M22 in Oct 2013, but then realised in Nov 2013 that my AR-16 s could be restored. The Missions are still doing duties in a 5.0 AV surround system partnered by a second pair of Mission 751 and Mission 75C centre.

Jeff_C, Jan 27, 2014
  13. Ultrasonic

Chris Wherry Chris (the sound)

1965 Goodmans Axiom 10s in home made corner cabinets.
    1975 KEF Concords
    1988 Rogers Studio 1s - still got them and still love them.

Chris Wherry, Oct 3, 2016
  14. Ultrasonic

inicholson I Nicholson

My speaker journey is a lot shorter than the OP's but has taken a lot longer. Here's the last 30 years...

I left home at 18 with a Sanyo Ghetto blaster to play tapes while I was at University.
    After 1 term I bought myself a SH turntable and amp and a friend sold me his Wharfedale speakers. Don't remember the model, I just remember turning my Yamaha amp up loud and the tweeters died. Cost me about £50 to get them fixed - a few weeks later I did it again!
    One night while trying to hitch a lift home to York from my Girlfriend's flat in Hackney I walked past a hifi dealer in North London selling a pair of Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers. As it was 3am they weren't open, so I went in the next day, demmed them and bought them - because they had a protection circuit to stop me blowing the driver!
    A few years later I moved in with my GF and had to accept that her big, black Kef Coda Vs were better than my little oak finish Mordaunt Shorts - so I passed them onto my Mum (who still has them - they still look and sound pretty good).
    One of my old University friends went to work for a Linn dealer for a few years (he's now a rep for Bose) so I upgraded all my kit through him - the Kefs are still in a cupboard waiting to get hooked to an amp for one of my teenage kids but they've long ago been replaced by Linn Keilidhs. The only upgrade left to make is to install Aktiv boards in my Linn power amps and that's probably me until my kids leave home!

inicholson, Oct 3, 2016
  15. Ultrasonic

tun55

Fulton FMI 80
    Audionics TL150
    Spendor BC1
    Quad ESL63
    Apogee Duettas
    Apogee Mini Grand
    Martin Logan CLS II
    Wilson Watt Puppy 6
    Oris 200 / Cabasse bass cabinets

Interesting thinking about my 45 year obsession.

tun55, Nov 22, 2016
  16. Ultrasonic

Mfunes91

My journey has not been very long, But I am very excited to make it a long journey. Started with high end Bluetooth portable speakers. UE BOOM XL UE BOOM and ETC.

Then I bought a couple of soundbars. But still craving more.

Now today im going to install Onkyo Receiver with audiosource Equalizer EQ-100
    Add Klipsch Bookshelf Speakers and Still torn between getting a Klipsch Center speaker or Bowers and Wilkins, since it looks like Best buy has a great deal going on.
    Adding into the mix will be a JBL Subwoofer that was handed down from my father. I will put in a Klipsch subwoofer in the future.
    I am still a rookie but super excited to enjoy this new hobby :D

Mfunes91, Mar 18, 2017
  17. Ultrasonic

Cliff A.

Cliff A., Jul 3, 2017
  18. Ultrasonic

Cliff A.

I've only had 3 pairs of speakers since 1977. The first were some type of Kenwood 4-way speakers with a 12 inch bass. The cabs were too small and they did not sound too marvellous. The second pair were JBL L65s which cost me a bit over £300 - massive discount and tax free because they came from a military shop. Fabulous sounding speakers - especially the tweeters! I had these for a few years and then got some L150s (from Frankfurt PX) - big floor-standers with built in passive sub-woofers. I still have these today after 36 years; one re-coning at Wembley Loudspeakers (this company not recommended by the way) when they were 27 years old. I'm considering some new speakers right now but it is a serious expenditure to move up to better performance. Perhaps Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3 or JBL 15" Studio Monitors (sadly a good model has been recently replaced with an inferior quality design)

Cliff A., Jul 3, 2017
  19. Ultrasonic

sktn77a

1968 Wharfedale Super Lintons
    1971 B&W DM3
    1976 AR7
    1977 AR18
    1981 Rogers LS3/5a
    2011 Rogers LS5/12
    2012 Aerial 5B
    Still looking for a Linn Isobarik in an LS3/5a box (and no, not a Kan!)

sktn77a, Jul 3, 2017
  20. Ultrasonic

Gerontius

My first speakers, in 1971 or so, I made from a kit, but I can't remember what make, which is a bit useless.
    Then, around 1975 Tannoy 12-inch dual concentric units, secondhand, in home-made cabinet.
    1984 Tannoy SL25. They were also dual-concentric. Sounded good, kept them for years.
    2009 Shahinian Arcs. Best upgrade ever.
    2017 Shahinian Obelisks. Even better than Arcs, but I needed to upgrade my amplifier.

Gerontius, Aug 2, 2017
Ask a Question