Where'd all the good guitar music go?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by MO!, Dec 11, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MOst of my MOney used to go on "guitar" music. Nirvana, stone roses, radiohead, REM, belly, blur and such.....

A few people been asking me what music I want for christmas and i've got a huge list, but next to none of it is guitar based! Certainly not anything of the "indie" style I used to go in for.

Fair enough my tastes have changed somewhat and though I still regularly listen to the three mentioned above, and a few others, there seems to be very little out there that appeals to me recently. I liked some of the "brit pop" stuff in the early/mid 90's (Elastica, Sleeper, Spiritulized, Oasis :D etc....), and occasionaly spin them, but recently I can probably name on one hand the bands who i'd look forward to releasing a new album, with MOre than just a passive interest..... Radiohead, Beta Band, Badly Drawn Boy, Blur, Gomez. Yep 5! Though may be another one or two I've forgot......... but maybe the fact i've forgot them rules them out anyhow :confused:

The Coral sound good, and the Kings of Leon album I bought for someone else, was better than expected. But little else seems to have caught my interest of this style lately.

Maybe it's just because I don't read the music press as much as I used to? And thus, am not aware or who's out there. Maybe the current *sound* aint my thing? Am I turning into an old git already?

I seem to prefer my guitars unplugged these days with fewer things appealing to me (outside those i've mentioned) when MOre full on. Nicolai Dunger, Turin Breaks, Eric Bibb, Sara K, Mazzy Star, Eva and Kristin Hersh appeal far MOre than limp bizkit, slipknot, the manic's, muse or MOst other "guitar" bands.

It's not that i'm just MOre into a MOre relaxed sound though!

I listen to a lot of hip hop, techno, electronic, dnb etc.... Just seems that not many out there are doing much interesting with the old axe lately!

Just me?

Got any ideas on who I should listen out for?

So far it's looking like just Lou Reed with a hint of guitar that I'll be asking santa for! And that's hardly new!

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Dec 11, 2003
  2. MO!

Goomer

Hi Mo

Interesting post and one that I can relate to to a degree. I grew up with guitar music(slightly heavier guitar than a lot of the stuff you mention, mind) and have found a lot of recent stuff lacking in some way - especially a large chunk of what is (lazily, IMHO) nu-metal. Macho posturing for the corporate sponsors as far as I can tell.

Having said that, there is still some stuff worth getting excited about. Maybe not in quite the same arrive-at-the-record-shop-5-minutes-before-it-opens-on-a-monday-morning-so-that-I-can-get-new-releases-immediately kind of way, but still excited none the less.

Well, you've already mentioned the Kings Of Leon whom I really like. Pleasure Beach are a band I'd look out for too: signed to Acid Jazz of all labels, although they've got more or a straight ahead rock sound to them - only an ep out at the moment with an album to follow next year.

A Perfect Circle are a band I really like too, and their most recent, 'The Thirteenth Step' is excellent IMHO, as was their first, 'Mer De Noms'.

Slightly different sound from the above mentioned, but I'd also recommend Belle and Sebastian if you've never heard them - the most recent album, 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress', may not be their best(it's still growing on me, mind) but is definitely worth a listen. Ace melodies and very funny lyrics IMO.

Anyway... a couple of suggestions there which may renew your enthusiasm for the gee-tar - whilst I don't think guitar music has had it's best couple of years recently, there is still stuff I've found which has kept me jumping around my front room.

Hope that helps and cheers for the interesting post,

Goomer.

Goomer, Dec 11, 2003
  3. MO!

michaelab desafinado

I'm in a similar situation. In the mid 90s I used to listen to all the brit pop stuff, Oasis, Radiohead, Suede, Kula Shaker etc and as I spent 1994 living in the US (in Portland which is very close to Seattle) I got quite into all the Seattle/grunge bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc and some of the other US indie bands but now I hardly listen to any of it and my tastes (in 'pop' music) have drifted almost completely into trip-hop / electronica / dance etc.

Of the guitar bands that are popular at the moment like White Stripes, The Strokes, Kings of Leon I don't listen to any of it. To me it's now all just the same old crap being rehashed and has zero interest for me anymore.

I listen to the radio much less than I used to (almost never) and never read the music press anymore so I also am not tuned in to what's current but I'm not sure that would make that much difference.

The most recent "guitar" CD I bought was Muse "Absolution" and I was well impressed with it but it's probably the only CD of that kind of music I've bought in at least the last 2 years.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 11, 2003
  4. MO!

Sgt Rock

None of you have this come on own up guys :D

Sgt Rock, Dec 11, 2003
  5. MO!

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

You don't like the White Stripes :eek: that's shocking - though I reckon its time for them to quit while at the top - Jack White's threatened it before and reading the interview in this month's Q, he don't seem a happy bunny. A band worth checking out in a similar vein (especially live), are the Immortal Lee County Killers (the drummer goes by the rather excellent name of J R R Token)

Also love that Kings of Leon album (but as a Creedence fan, I would). The Strokes don't really do it for me, but can see/hear why they might do it for others.

I'd have called it reinterpretation rather than a rehash and for the most part done extremely well. The White Stripes gig at Shepherds Bush last year ('02), was possibly one of the best I've ever been to.

Have you considered the Libertines (admittedly a lot better live than on disc).

The Datsuns are rather good in a Sons of AC/DC sort of way.

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's album is good, but when we went to see them at Ye Olde Rock City they were a bit dire.

Then of course there is the beast with eight legs that is The Darkness :D , Though the fact that everyone in the world, including most of those that have no taste whatsoever like them is a bit offputting :rolleyes:

The Coral, well worth a spin. Both albums.

Also rather enjoyed British Sea Power, they play guitars, but not sure you'ld really call em a guitar band though.

The Electric Soft Parade's first album was a corker (plenty of "Indie Guitar" sounds there) and their second is growing on me as well.

Also check out The Rapture and Hot Hot Heat. My Bro in law rates Jet, but I think they're a bit cheesy.

Oh and I forgot BRMC, who are well worth a punt.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2003
    Uncle Ants, Dec 11, 2003
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks for the replies, good to see i'm not the only one like this :D

Your tastes seem quite similar to mine Mike, but I didn't really like Muse. One of my brothers tends to listen to stuff like the White Stripes, Muse, etc... aswell as the ones I mentioned liking myself. I don't particularly mind them, they're ok, and better than ok in parts. But they'd not be in my top 10 on the "to buy next" list.

A lot of it seems very run of the mill, and uninventive. I think that's what's kept me interested in the likes of Radiohead, who are experimenting and trying new things. The last Blur album impressed me massively!

I'll check out the names mentioned here (not the air guitar album thou ;) ). Some of them are new to me, some of them I've a passing knowledge of. The word "cheesy" was mentioned in one of the replies. That's how I find alot the newer stuff. Very unsincere and false. Music doesn't have to serious, but when you get the impression that the band/singer consider themselves a "star" when they're actualy very average, they lose points again.

Goomer, I've got Belle and Sebastians "The boy with the arab strap", which I like a lot. Maybe adding some MOre of their stuff would be a good place for me to start!

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Dec 11, 2003
  7. MO!

tomson

Their newest - Dear Catastrophe Waitress - is superb.

tomson, Dec 11, 2003
  8. MO!

space cadet Far out...

well, ok-ish maybe...

Anyway MO!, you've certainly got a point. Indie these days seem to be endless streams of talentless student Meanswear-wannabe bollocks, and I'm not impressed at all. Indie used to be energetic, fun and interesting (Vaselines, Beat Happening, C86, Codeine (ok, not so energetic but amazing nevertheless), Pixies, Big Black, My Bloody Valentine) I used to love this, but there just isn't a lot that tickles me the same way these days. However if one digs a bit deeper...
    I reckon post-rock is where it's at if you want quality guitar rock, check out the following if you can.
    The Workhouse – They've just released a singles compilation cd and because their singles are all vinyl only pressed in stupidly small quantities (100–500) you're best going for the cd. Quality post-rock shoegazer stuff that would make Mogwai blush and go away forever.
    Circle – from Finland and rock (in a krauty way) like nothing else. Occasionally some very strange shamanic screaming theatrical vocals, but hey!
    Cerberus Shoal – Keep changing direction these guys, but they're always worth hearing. You need the album And Farewell To Hightide.
    Others worth a shout...Acid Mothers Temple, Tarentel, Yume Bitsu, Surface of Eceyon and Landing. The three latter ones are basically side-projects of each other.

Keep digging MO!

space cadet, Dec 13, 2003
  9. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I think theres absolutely tons of good guitar music at the moment!

On the Indie side, weve got 'starsailor' - check out 'love is here' not the newest album (which is good too) but available for about a fiver if you look round.

The kings of Leon, Mars Volta (check out www.themarsvolta.com) these boys have more musical interest in 1 track than some bands do in a career!.

Theres a new Janes Adiction album to check out, the first elbow album 'asleep in the back' if you want something melow, the strokes, the white stripes, turin brakes, Muse 'origin of symetry'

Then theres the mainstream like Stereophonics etc!

A bigger problem for me is saving up for them all :( !!

bottleneck, Dec 14, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I found starsailor "ok". Don't know what album. My brothers had the album for quite a while so it wont be their new one. Maybe I should give it another proper chance.
    Never heard of Mars Volta so I'll look into them. White Stripes I quite like, as I do Turin Brakes.

"Then theres the mainstream like Stereophonics etc!"

I cannot stand them! They pretty much sum up all that is bad in recent guitar music IMO! Bland, passive, boring shite!

Have you heard Nicolai Dunger? You mention Turin Breaks here, and going on other thing you've mentioned in the past, you'd probably like him. Acoustic and vocals. Some really great songs and a cool voice!

MO!, Dec 14, 2003
  11. MO!

Hodgesaargh

Teenage Fanclub are good

Frank Black and the Catholics - Pistolero - great album

The Breeders - Title TK - my best of 2002

Biffy Clyro - their first album is excellent

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death - superb maiden album you will be surprised if you buy this!

Hodgesaargh, Dec 15, 2003
  12. MO!

tones compulsive cantater

Of course, if you want real guitar playing, there's always the late, great Chet Atkins...:duck:

tones, Dec 15, 2003
  13. MO!

have his album/duet with Mark Knopfler.

Finer finger-picking frippery fairly cant be found!

(try saying that pissed)

Thanks for the reccomendation Mo.

PS Ive only heard the single for 'the mars volta' but I like it so much Im going to buy the album.

This is a bit more on it. Reccomended for Led Zep/Yes/early radiohead fans.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009V90E/ref=sr_aps_music_1_1/026-5783814-5041211

bottleneck, Dec 15, 2003
  14. MO!

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Good guitar music?
    Then try the latest Aynsley Lister album.. Somewhere between Stevia Ray Vaughan and Led Zep...
    Also, the Audioslave album is excellent, in a semi heavy kind of way.

leonard smalls, Dec 20, 2003
  15. MO!

joel Shaman of Signals

Cante Jondo

Manolo Sanlucar, Tomatito (Tomatito only when playing alongside Cameron de la Isla), Paco de Lucia

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
    joel, Dec 20, 2003
  16. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Some good recommendations, think I'll be checking a few of these out. Whoever mentioned the Stereochronics really shouldn't have though... turgid, dull, bland, wishy washy horrible radio rock. Could they be the REO Speedwagon of their day? Yes, I hate them that much.

Picked up the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album yesterday on the strength of its mention here and a work colleague who was well impressed with them at Reading. I'm quite pleased with it. The singer reminds me very much of Kim Deal.

Talking of the Pixies, Frank Black & The Catholics are always a good bet. I'd been meaning to get some of his solo stuff and picked up The Cult Of Ray and Frank Black on vinyl at the last record fayre. Superb stuff. The boy's still got it.

The last two Muse albums, Mar Volta and The Datsuns sound interesting. Also, has anyone heard anything by a band called the 22-20's? They're playing at the Cavern down here in Exeter in February and am tempted to check them out, the profile on the Cave's website suggests they're a little similar to the White Stripes but I guess that's writing for ticket sales...

Lastly, does anyone else think that Darkness Christmas record is terrible?

ilockyer, Dec 21, 2003
  17. MO!

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

They make me want to kick the telly/radio when they come on. Talentless knobheads ... and is that the ugliest drummer in show biz or what. no wonder they sacked him.

I have. They released a live EP recently which I picked up from Selectadisc. Not bad (but not mindblowing either). I'd have said they were more early Rolling Stones than White Stripes tho.

Uncle Ants, Dec 22, 2003
  18. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Yeah, the Chronics sacked their drummer, but then managed to persuade a good one to join them. Hopefully the Black Crowes will decide to reform so he has something better to do than sit at the back of a stage falling asleep.

I picked up the 22-20's EP myself yesterday. Quite impressed, granted, it's nothing new but certainly does rock. I'm actually more reminded of Rory Gallagher than anything else, certainly by the lead guitar playing, can see where you're coming from re. the early Stones too though. Can't hear much along the lines of the Stripes though...

ilockyer, Dec 22, 2003
  19. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The Stereophonics pretty much sum up all that is wrong with todays "indie" scene. Absolute shite! Dull, bland, uninspiring, passive w@nk! They played Cardiff the other week and half the people I work with seemed to take tthe night off. I'd have rather worked MOself!

And (I think), the Thrills! Are they the ones who did that "baby baby please don't go" track? Again piss poor mediocre IMO!

MO!, Dec 23, 2003
  20. MO!

errr I like them :p

hehe
    I like easy to listen to music, and I find them enjoyable. Their songs are memorable, and they play well.

Not to everyones taste perhaps - and their popularity certainly encourages detraction I think... as popularity so often does.

Each to their own!

:)

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 23, 2003
Ask a Question