Who still creates compilations these days?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Jan 6, 2006.

?

What gear do you use for recording?

1. PC & CD/DVD-RW drive

81.3%
  2. CD-RW deck

6.3%
  3. MD deck

12.5%
  4. Cassette deck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I've long been a fan of making compilations - back from when I had a double cassette deck on my Philips ghettoblaster. I then started using MiniDisc from 1998 and found it great for editing and making up compilations.

I sold my MiniDisc gear back in Feb last year when I bought an iPod Mini. Unfortunately this got nicked before Christmas. After a bit of thought, I decided to go back to MiniDisc - I still have many of the MDs I'd recorded over the years. So, I called up Sony to see what they had in the way of portables - a HiMD (holds 1GB of music) recorder for £60. Still a bargain, even without the HiMD. I picked this up before Christmas, wanting something to listen to on the 6 hr train journey to/from my parents and to be honest was very impressed with the sound - even using the stock earphones. I preferred it to the 128kbps AAC I used to encode at for my iPod Mini.

When I returned, I decided the need for a full-size recorder and found the Sony MDS-JB980 - their top-end NetMD unit, also with coax/optical in and a timer - great for recording radio programs. The silver version has a nice brushed aluminum fascia which looks the part and the whole deck is built like a tank, with great sound quality to match - much better than I'd ever imagined from MiniDisc.

So, with the advent of CD-R drives in PCs and MP3s, who still creates compilations using conventional methods - e.g. tape, MD, CD-R decks etc?

nsherin, Jan 6, 2006
  2. nsherin

Tenson Moderator

Albums are the way :)

Tenson, Jan 6, 2006
  3. nsherin

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

My "compilations" for my Pocket-PC "Walkman" are MP3's pre-eq'ed for crossfeed and ear/headphone response (or not, if I cannot be bothered). The 1GB chip plugs into my Laptop and I write the converted files to it. Complilations are then basically playlists.

On my Media Center PC they get made up on the spot by queuing up whatever takes my (or my wives) fancy. Listening on LP and CD is mostly around Albums, not compilations.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 6, 2006
  4. nsherin

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

I Used to do Comps on my Phillips CD880 CD-RW Recorder,although the quality was great, it used to take a lot of time, having to pause the recorder etc...
    I now use PC based recording, I have a Yamaha CD FR1 recorder,it's a great little unit, it records at x 1 Speed and also has a superb recording mode called "Audio Master" Which makes the 1 and 0 Pitts longer on a CD-R,reducing jitter. The downside is that a 80 Min disc gets reduce to 68 Mins.
    I guess it's all down how & where you listen to your music,I love my HI-FI set up, but sometimes it just easier to use a MP3,I use it for running and in my Car a noisy Diesel Renualt Laguna.

STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 6, 2006
  5. nsherin

andrew1810

I still do for the car, Squeezebox plugged into minidisc deck, just plays the playlist directly from the squeezebox so I can queue them up before hand and simply leave it running.

andrew1810, Jan 6, 2006
  6. nsherin

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i just transcode from flac to wma using foobar then stick them on my phone for listening to on the move. occasionally will burn a dvd / cd of mp3's or flacs for a mate.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jan 6, 2006
  7. nsherin

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I don't bother I just spin the decks instread far more fun, even if my DJ deck motor does have as much torque than an electric window motor and the cross fader crackles like a blown woofer.

amazingtrade, Jan 6, 2006
  8. nsherin

greg Its a G thing

I regularly record 70 minute vinyl mixes to laptop and then to CD. Amongst the average ones there is the odd gem where the tracks and mix is IMHO perfect(ish). I then add these to my "soulphood" mix library. I've been doing this for about 14 years (to cassette or dat in the past) but I'm only on soulphood mix # 38.

greg, Jan 6, 2006
  9. nsherin

greg Its a G thing

albums are for whimps :)

greg, Jan 6, 2006
  10. nsherin

PaulH

CD complitaions in the car.

Albums at home... CDR/RW compilation discs are banned from the house CD player.

PaulH, Jan 7, 2006
  11. nsherin

mr cat Member of the month

I don't do compilations now - tho when I was in the 6th form I would tape music from John peel, Janice Long, andy and liz kershaw - heard some amazing stuff...in fact I still have all the tapes hidden away in a cupboard!

mr cat, Jan 7, 2006
  12. nsherin

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Yes I do this for my mp3/ogg player, for example I put together my own 80's collection coz the ones you buy never have the tunes on "you" remember! Also good trance to get you fired up in the mornings (boy I need that!). Long live compilations

lhatkins, Jan 8, 2006
  13. nsherin

AlexTaylor

I do compilation CDs for the car or for parties I put playlists on my MP3 and through the HiFi.

AlexTaylor, Jan 8, 2006
Ask a Question