Why no UK built NOS DAC?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

I'd assumed this was a regulatory thing; electrical approval and so on, but is that it or is it also cost of parts/labour that means they tend to come direct from Hong Kong/Taiwan?

Coda II, Oct 7, 2005
  2. Coda II

michaelab desafinado

The ones that come from the far east (like my Derek Shek one) are just DIYers selling a few, not really a commercial enterprise so I don't think the cost of parts and labour are an issue. No idea why no one has tried this in the UK. There are people in the US making them, like Scott Nixon.

Apart from the 47 Labs stuff there's very few commercial non-OS DACs that I know of. AudioNote DACs are non-OS.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 7, 2005
  3. Coda II

Graham C

Probably because anyone who makes a 'bit on the side' in the UK has the inland revenue, benefits agency, social services, customs and excise and the bottom inspectors breathing down their necks

Graham C, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Coda II

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Too bloody right :mad:

Why should us PAYE folk have to subsidise them?

We have to pick up the tab for the tax they DON'T pay.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Oct 7, 2005
  5. Coda II

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, plus the inland revenue are checking ebay now for big sellers and shops etc...

mr cat, Oct 7, 2005
  6. Coda II

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Anyone played with these?

Must admit Ive always been curious. I like the company's products, by and large.

bottleneck, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Coda II

T-bone Sanchez

From the one's Ive heard they sound good, but nothing that the nos DAC that Michael and I have cant do.

There are alot of diy kits around if anyone does fancy a go.

T-bone Sanchez, Oct 7, 2005
  8. Coda II

Thats what I was wondering T-bone.

If they sound the same as a Nos-Dac, Id rather have one - I feel a brand known brand name will mean it will keep its second hand value better.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Oct 7, 2005
  9. Coda II

Hodgesaargh

Also the people who make them in China etc can get high quality parts cheap. The Derek Shek DAC for example used Rubycon Black Gate caps and high quality resistors. Would have cost more to make it in UK.

Hodgesaargh, Oct 7, 2005
  10. Coda II

MartinC Trainee tea boy

If you're saying that based on hearing their vinyl based systems heard at shows you may be disappointed. At the last (smaller) Heathrow show I asked them to swap to their CD setup for a little bit after enjoying their vinyl one, and straight away it was obvious why they always seem to just play vinyl, a serious nose dive in performance :( .

MartinC, Oct 7, 2005
  11. Coda II

dcathro

I heard a UK built NOS dack that sounded amazing. It did not sound like any CD player I have heard before. It sounded like a turntable, but had better dynamics, stability and detail. Unfortunately, I don't think this machine will ever see the light of day :( .

Dave

dcathro, Oct 7, 2005
  12. Coda II

Shuggie

Just for interest, the "Shek" NOS DAC is actually produced by Moodlab http://www.mood-lab.com/ and is no longer available from Derek Shek.

I have one and it's great. The level of quality would certainly dictate a higher price if it did not come from the far east.

Cheers

S

Shuggie, Oct 8, 2005
  13. Coda II

Stereo Mic

Chris, what well known brand name is not going to lose the cost of a NOS dac at resale? It's not exactly a fortune is it!

For those who claim these dacs sound like tt's, IMHO they don't, it's just the usual urban myth that springs up when something gets hyped to death on the internet. They are good value for money though and different.

Stereo Mic, Oct 8, 2005
  14. Coda II

every brand would, Id agree..when bought new.

Although I didnt mention it, I was talking about buying second hand - I never buy new!

bottleneck, Oct 8, 2005
  15. Coda II

dcathro

Sorry Mate,

But this was a different beast altogether from those things sold on the internet, and it blew away anything I have ever heard from CD or vinyl. This guy designed the original Naim CDS, which was a tda1541a based machine. I believe the machine I heard, was an updated version of the original CDS prototype, with the filter removed, and a simple analog filter in its place. He did it just to see what it would be like, and it was mind blowing. He says it's not worth doing it commercially, as the hi-fi market is practically dead.

He told me that the earliest CD players were all NOS, with analog filters, but that the design of these was integrated into the output opamp. These output stages were crude and sounded crap. He looked at all the DIY NOS dacks, and reckons the output stages are too crude. Maybe that is why they don't sound that great.

Dave

dcathro, Oct 8, 2005
  16. Coda II

Stereo Mic

no need to apologise but doesn't the above state that it sounded absolutely nothing like vinyl?

I look forward to hearing this mythical beast. I have now heard of three different CD players that destroy anything previously heard. Having heard one of them and being unimpressed, I await exposure to the others with baited breadth!

Stereo Mic, Oct 8, 2005
  17. Coda II

dcathro

OK. Let me explain!

I have been working with Digital for the last 17 years. I have not had a turntable since the mid 80's, but have always had very fond memories of my Thorens/Grace/Supex. There was something about the presentation - a solidity/body and relaxed fluidity - that I have never heard from digital. Yes Digital has bags more detail, is tighter, has better dynamic range, less compression, less noise, and less distortion. When I heard this beast It was like hearing my old TT again (i.e. all the things I liked), but with all the other advantages of digital. This thing made every CD player I have heard sound mechanical.

It is unlikely that you will ever hear it. I am trying to convince him to build a few, but he is busy and has other problems to worry about.

Dave

dcathro, Oct 8, 2005
  18. Coda II

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Here's an interesting quote from that site:

We're famous! :D

technobear, Oct 8, 2005
  19. Coda II

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes Dave output stages are the key, and I also agree with the op-amp thing, hence why I don't use any in my designs also.
    So You man is in the right area

wadia-miester, Oct 8, 2005
  20. Coda II

Hodgesaargh

Moodlab are working on a headphone amp btw.

Hodgesaargh, Oct 8, 2005
Ask a Question