Wild Celebrations?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GrahamN, Jul 6, 2003.

1. GrahamN

GrahamN

So will there be dancing in the street, singing in the rain, rocking around the clock etc etc in celebration of their first ever (?) Men's Tennis Grand Slam win?

Naaah....this is Switzerland!!!

Scary thing...his coach is another WM doppelganger - and they are both apparently addicted to heavy rock too :yikes:

(So who was Tones - senior - supporting...the Ozzie or the Swiss?)

GrahamN, Jul 6, 2003
  2. GrahamN

tones compulsive cantater

It was easy - I cheered for both! I would have liked Scud to win because of his long history of injury (at one point he was in a wheelchair and his playing career was in jepoardy). On the other hand, no Swiss has ever won a mens' Grand Slam event (whereas lots of Ozs have) and Federer seems a nice guy (from Münchenstein, just down the road near Basel). SO, I'm happy with the result - just a pity that someone has to lose.

P.S. Perhaps not wild celebrations, but I'll bet the Federer win would push the start of WWIII off the front page of the "Basler Zeitung" tomorrow morning. S'guet, nit wohr?

P.P.S. Wrong - it managed to occupy pages 1, 2 and 3! Anyone wanting to read about the start of WWIII had to go to p.4. The website doesn't really capture the full flavour:

http://www.baz.ch/

So, Americas Cup and Wimbledon, what next? Sauber as F1 champions? I suspect that an outbreak of common sense (or indeed sense of any kind) in George Bush would be more likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2003
    tones, Jul 6, 2003
  3. GrahamN

joel Shaman of Signals

Re: Re: Wild Celebrations?

Well they did dominate LeMans for a few years with an *interesting* driver lineup. Le Mans is a lot more fun than F1 anyway (with the honourable exception of Monaco).

joel, Jul 7, 2003
  4. GrahamN

tones compulsive cantater

That they certainly did, Joel, but that's easier than F1 with its spectacular costs. The facilities of Ferrari (with Fiat moneybags and national prestige), McLaren (with substantial Mercedes minority shareholding) and Williams Grand Prix Engineering are just so far ahead of the rest that there's simply no comparison. Unfortunately, the days when a privateer in a customer car could beat the big boys on sheer driving ability (e.g., Moss at Monaco in 1961) are long gone. It's money now, to buy better engines, better chassis, wind tunnels, better tyres. It has become so dependent on equipment that Schumacher Sr. , best driver of the lot, with a duff set of tyres can make no impression on the BMW-Williams cars.

I feel sorry for the little teams who are only there to fill up the track spaces between the Big Six and who have no hope of ever attaining that level. Full marks to Frank and Ron and Jean for doing it, but the spectacle has gone.

tones, Jul 7, 2003
Ask a Question