Windbag is worse threat than Terrorists..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Graham C, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Graham C

Graham C

Did anyone see this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4147058.stm

What is this guy on? £7 a pint? I don't think the pub chains need encouraging.

Sure we have a % of daft drinkers.And the amount we drink means we will probably only live to 95 etc.

People who want a rumble in the Friday night jungle have always met. What has the price got to do with it? Do the rozzers arrest homebrew makers drinking 15p a pint beer? I don't think so..

Graham C, Aug 13, 2005
  2. Graham C

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

This extremely annoys me, 99% of people I know drink responsibly, sure I have 8 pints when I go out (which is not always every week) but I drink that over a lot of hours and I can handle it, it may not be doing my liver much good but I don't start smashing up car windows or rining peoples door bells at 3:00am.

If the price of beer was raised to £7 a pint pubs will close, people will loose their jobs, more people will resort to crime, consumers will smuggle more drinks in, people may even leave the UK, people will turn to other ilegal drugs etc.

So if that cheif thinks the Welsh can't handle their drinks make booze ilegal in Wales or somthing :D

The media also annoy me some what, having walked through the city centre at 3:00am (one of the biggest night life cities in Europe frequently more than 100,000 party goers in the city centre on a saturday) I have still yet to witness any trouble on the streets. There are lots of police all over the place though.

amazingtrade, Aug 13, 2005
  3. Graham C

Will The Lucky One

It seems like the North Wales police is staffed by a right bunch of idiots, what with this bloke and 'speeding is as anti-social as dealing drugs' Brunstrum or whatever his name is....

The problem with drinking in this country is down to the culture of drinking to get drunk, rather than anything to do with opening hours or cheapness of drinks. If you force bars to raise prices, you'll just get more people going to the nearest off license and drinking in the streets in public places, which surely has more potential for trouble...

Will, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Graham C

BlueMax

Police have their problems with irresponsible drinkers, but what this deputy chief shows his ignorance of how businesses function.

Britains brewery industry industry is a multi billion pound business that employ thousands of people. Companies such as Scottish & Newcastle operate on an international basis and bring in currency from abroad.

Alchahol sales bring in huge amounts in taxation to the government.

All products are price sensitive. This £7 per pint suggestion will cripple the sales and bankrupt a whole industry.

BlueMax, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Graham C

julian2002 Muper Soderator

as i don;t drink i could care less however given that alcohol related deaths are probably more frequent than those related to terrorism - plus all the hidden crime such as spousal and child abuse that doesn't get reported that's caused by alcohol i'm tempted to agree with the bloke. 8 pints in a night would have got you labelled an alcoholic a few years ago at so be careful.
    the revenues from alcohol could be made up elsewhere and certainly the drain on the nhs would be less. as for putting jobs and profit before peoples lives well sorry but i think THAT is a terrible mindset worthy of our amoral capitalist society - well done.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 15, 2005
  6. Graham C

PBirkett VTEC Addict

i dont think so.... by who anyway? some teetotal lentilist?

PBirkett, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Graham C

Graham C

Surely the non drinkers would be happier with the drinkers contributing tax rather than them having to find it?

I can't see where the 'drain on the NHS' happens......? Drinkers and smokers pay more in tax than they cost in welfare over their lifetime so they are an NHS supplier. As for alcohol related deaths [a personal choice] - how long do you want everyone to live? Do you want to be forced to retire at 70 - 75??

Graham C, Aug 15, 2005
  8. Graham C

The Devil IHTFP

The policeman is 100% right. The UK is currently enjoying an unprecedented epidemic of alcohol abuse, and all the problems which that engenders.

Alcohol is currently the cheapest it has ever been, in real terms, and that is why we have the problem. The only way to solve the problem is to increase the price, and drastically.

Unpopular, but shown to be true in many different countries.

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Graham C

mr cat Member of the month

it seems that it's the uk mentaility to drink and drink...maybe the 24 hour licensing law could improve things, but I guess that could take a generation before that settles down..? whatever, but I think it'll get worse before it gets better...

mr cat, Aug 15, 2005
  10. Graham C

Will The Lucky One

In my opinion the problem is not the price of alcohol though, I mean I could go to Germany and buy beer for far less than the price you'd pay here, from what I remember of my time near Munich......but the Germans didn't have any greater problem with alcoholism or alcohol related crimes - because their cultural attitude to alcohol consumption was so different, generally it was viewed as an accompanyment to food or something to be drunk and enjoyed in moderation, with the exception of Oktoberfest and similar events! The rest of the time it was very normal to see 16 year olds drinking beer in pubs (and it was legal to do so), but they weren't getting drunk on a regular basis on the way that seems so common here. They found the attitude of my friends and our apparent enthusiasm for drink quite amusing!

Surely its the cultural attitudes towards alcohol consumption that causes the biggest problems with violence, crime and illness, rather than the actual pricing of drinks?

Will, Aug 15, 2005
  11. Graham C

The Devil IHTFP

Pricing will solve the problem -- it always has historically, no reason to believe that it shouldn't work in the future. But it's politically unpopular, and the current pansy government we have have no stomach for tackling real issues.

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  12. Graham C

MO! MOnkey`ead!

£7 for one pint
    £10 for 5 pills
    £5-£10 for 1 gram

I think you'd see even MOre people using ecstacy, speed, etc....

MO!, Aug 15, 2005
  13. Graham C

PBirkett VTEC Addict

But you know why its politically unpopular? ;) Its because half the government are probably alkies themselves :D and also, the majority of the voting public like drinking, so increasing prices would not be very popular at all :cool:

I bet you also like a drink "devil" :D but somehow, pricing it out of the market isnt going to work, as MO says, people will just start taking illegal substances or take up smuggling as a hobby instead :lol:

PBirkett, Aug 15, 2005
  14. Graham C

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm not so worried about people killing themselves thanks to alcohol abuse more the poor guy walking home that gets a kicking, or the wife or child who gets a black eye or broken arm.
    i go to a number of raves and parties where 'party smarties' are consumed more than alcohol and i've not seen one fight. compare that to when i used to go to places where alcohol was the drug of choice - at least one serious incident a night if not more and the walk home / to the car was a nightmare even if you had mates with you.
    honestly i'd welcome the stuff being priced much higher and take the tax hit for the added feeling of safety and lowering of human suffering
    cheers

julian.
    p.s. i don;t drink or do any drugs apart from caffine occasionally.

julian2002, Aug 15, 2005
  15. Graham C

The Devil IHTFP

Why is it that people who have no idea what they are talking about try to give the impression that they do?

Alcohol consumption is inversely related to price: this is well-known.

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  16. Graham C

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Not really I don't drink more if I am in a cheap place I just drink as much as I feel regardless of the price. Ok lets rise the price to £7 a pint so everybody can turn to smack instead that will really solve the problem. And for those who think there is a massive problem I suggest you turn the TV off and actually check out the city centres at 3:00am because I can find none of this stuff they mention on the TV.

I may sound harsh but thats just my experience I think the media are just making a huge deal out of nothing.

amazingtrade, Aug 15, 2005
  17. Graham C

The Devil IHTFP

You are completely wrong. As usual.

I suggest an eight-hour shift in A&E, Friday night 10pm to 6am.

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  18. Graham C

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Na, just let the chav's drink all they can, drink themselves to death, leave the drinking to the people who can do it sensibly and responsbily the problem will sort itself out in time. Don't know why we bother treating people who drink to excess, they get themselves into the situation they should get themselves out of it, as they don't learn, they spend a night in A&E having their stumich pumped or whatever, but they're back doing it again the next week, why bother!
    Or ban fizzy acholic drinks, you know those childish alcopop things, if pub only sold pints, then people couldn't get so bad, cos the body can only take so much fluid.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2005
    lhatkins, Aug 15, 2005
  19. Graham C

MO! MOnkey`ead!

AT it DOES happen.

If you've managed to avoid it then you're lucky. But it does happen.

MO!, Aug 15, 2005
  20. Graham C

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Dam right they are, stupid law anyway, about time it was revised, yes there are going to be some idiots, who over do it, the same as they would if then went abroad, but it'll soom calm down as we get used to the new law and soon it will feel normal.

If drinks go to £7 a pint, I'll take the eurostar to France every Saturday night, would work out cheaper, (but would have to learn french, bit of a downside.)!

lhatkins, Aug 15, 2005
Ask a Question