Women we spend ages fixing things and they just complain

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jan 30, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My mums hoover cut out yesterday and I got the multimeter out, both the motor, fuse and cord were working fine. I took every moving part out including the motor and discovered a 2p coin lodged in the bushes.

I also discovered the belt was slack, I spent two hours on it yesterday rebuilding the damn thing, its a pain as everything has to go back in a strict order.

It now works fine, it actually picks things up now but what does my mum do?

Moan that I got dirt on the towel and that its noisy:( There was me thinking I was doing my bit for the evironment by saving a hoover.

The joke is the exact same hoover only cost £20 from Richersounds anyway:)

I think people need to think more about the environment before throwing stuff away.

amazingtrade, Jan 30, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

They should, but as soon as it threatens to hit them in the pocket, they don't.

Case in point... You could have spent £200 on a vacuum, but you spent £20. That means that should it break more seriously it isn't worth spending £30 to have it fixed when you can buy another new one for £20. Since Mr. Average Consumer tends only to look at headline price, this won't change.

Beauraucracy makes it worse though... The new European directives on materials in electronics (RoHS and WEEE) mean that among other things we're not allowed to use Lead in device plating or solder. Shortly the deadline will pass that we may no longer sell any leaded parts. Any we have left will be thrown away... into landfill. If we were allowed to sell them, they'd be put into electronic goods, used for something and THEN thrown away into landfill. So more waste is being generated this way...

But the real kicker is that unleaded solders and plating are significantly less reliable and the shelf-life of unleaded components is significantly shorter. That means that any unleaded stocks carried by eg farnell must be thrown away after a certain amount of time, and also that the failure rate of electronic goods will increase sharply. Since this combines with the £15 DVD player influence, many more items of electronic goods will end up in landfill, along with unused "expired" components. All in the name of saving the environment...

I-S, Jan 30, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

Dev Moderator

Reminds me of my 32" TV that stopped working recently. I was told it needs a new Tube at a cost of £400+labour. Alternatively I can buy a new 32" TV from £450.

Difficult decision, I'm still thinking about it:).

Dev, Jan 30, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Nah. Its an easy decision. Get rid of the telly all together, save on your license fee and reclaim a couple of hours of you life every day. You know it makes sense. It's the Devil's toybox you know ;) :JPS:

Uncle Ants, Jan 30, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

GAZZ

Yes and spend your time on forums instead

GAZZ, Jan 30, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Exactly ... see :D

Uncle Ants, Jan 30, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Get the new tube - at least you know the guts of your TV are decent. You can then recoup some of the cash via having the enjoyment of imploding the old tube in the town dump's trash bin :)

It's either that or spend more cash on a less-well-built current TV, since they're ramping all the quality into LCD/Plasma now and making CRT a cheapo option. Shame that CRT produces vastly superior pictures...

domfjbrown, Jan 31, 2006
  8. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

ASDA do a lot of decent DUAL (the same turntable company) TVs quite cheap.

I also agree that CRT is vastly superior, too many plasmas seem to have a horrible ghosting effect. Although no doubt all the magazines say how wonderful Plasma is because they want advertising revenue.

amazingtrade, Jan 31, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

i don't think the rebranding Dual company has anything to do with the old CS505 turntables.....they're probably just trying to market it as something more upmarket than their 'Pacific' range.

Rory, Jan 31, 2006
Ask a Question