Wood Cones and Sake Recipe!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BlueMax, Jul 18, 2004.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax

JVC's latest audio innovation is the 'wood cone speaker' - a loudspeaker with a cone made of wood instead of the usual paper, plastic or metal.

The Japanese engineer responsible, Mr Imamura, has been attempting to build such a speaker for 20 years in the belief it would offer 'natural resonance like that from a musical instrument'. Development snagged because the birch wood cone kept cracking during use - a problem that was solved by soaking the wood in saké. Amino acids in the Japanese rice wine made the wood pliant enough to work as a speaker cone.

I am not sure about the use of wood but couple of shots of Sake is bound to increase listening pleasure. :D

BlueMax, Jul 18, 2004
  2. BlueMax

Rory satisfied

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
    Rory, Jul 18, 2004
  3. BlueMax

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Not quite! Vifa make a range of cones made out of wood fibres (that's paper to you and me ;) ). The JVC cone is the real deal. It's wood! Still sounds awful though :rolleyes:

technobear, Jul 18, 2004
  4. BlueMax

Rory satisfied

just think what they could have done with dvd audio playback and a digital amplifier had they stuck with proven and tested metal/paper/plastic/kevlar cones instead. me thinks the sq would have been much better....

still...

Rory, Jul 18, 2004
Ask a Question