wot's your xp with losing weight?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I could do with shedding a stone or so, have people here tried to lose?

how

how long did it take

and did it work

cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 29, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

don't have to loose much weight but like to keep it under control (8.5 stone in english money).
    One word, exercise, get a bike and ride everywhere, just don't fall off! d'oh!
    I ride to and from work, about 7 mile round trip, keeps the beer gut under control.

But saying that I have a friend who needed to loose weight, he managed to shed a couple of stone, just by changing his diet, cutting out the fast food, fizzy drinks, etc, and doing a bit more walking, managed to loose the 2 stone in 4 months I think.

lhatkins, Jul 29, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

mr cat Member of the month

I assume that how much you weigh, and not how much you wanna lose..??
    wow...thats nothing...

I weigh about 14 stone and could maybe do with losing 1/2 stone tops...I wish I knew the answer tho, well, I know the theory - more exercise and a better diet, but easier said than done...

mr cat, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

I go through phases of trying to lose weight, but never really get very far. The best thing to do is cut out all snacking between meals, that makes a major difference. As you say, exercise etc. is all good but the gym is often a very dull place...

ilockyer, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

apparently people who fidget a lot tend to weight less thanb people who don't...

mr cat, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

badchamp Thermionic Member

Regular exersize. Eat sensibly - breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper, moderate carbs but as a lifestyle change not as a diet.

The gym might indeed be boring but it works. Do CV workkouts plus lots of weights repetitions at comfortable levels. You just need to want to do it. You should see results in a surprisingly short time.

Several years ago I did four 2 hour sessions p/w for maybe 2 years, got fitter and leaner at 40 than I think I'd I'd ever been. Mind you badminton injuries and health issues (now hopefuly under control) mean I've put a lot of it back on. I need to get back to it but it's a damn sight harder to go through it all again and I'm 5 years less young! Gotta do it though :(

Jeff

badchamp, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I weigh around 8 stone.

I get emails (spam) saying "Lose 95lbs in a week!". I suspect they may be suggesting decapitation...

I-S, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Jesus 8 stone, you must be a wiener.

When I worked in France I lost 2 stone from the sheer amounts of exercise. I used to eat like a pig, but up in the mountains snowboarding every day I got well fit.

Alas them days are gone and I find it hard to get the will power. According to the body mass index I am 26 when I should be 24 (to just be in normal) I think in English I am 1 stones over weight.

I just havn't got to that stage in the head where I am defo gonna do it. But I need to get to that stage.

When I was 18 and younger it didn't seem to matter how much I ate or drank I was always 11 stone. Now if I go on a one week holiday I put 6 pounds on. Doh!

garyi, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I dont believe that - I am well fidgety, and skinny I aint ;)

PBirkett, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

Will The Lucky One

When I went to uni I weighed about 16 and a half stone, now I weigh 14 stone 7 pounds (thats one new years resolution fullfilled at least :)).

The reason I lost so much weight was down to getting a lot more excercise (Aberystwyth uni is on a hill overlooking the main part of the town, naturally as a student, one goes into town a lot....walking back up the hill after a night out is challenge at times but if you make it home its good excercise).

I also started to eat a lot less as well, and eat more healthily (no crisps or chocolate/sweets, and hardly ever any fried food) - if you can go with a bowl of special K and one other main meal a day, I defy anyone not to lose weight if you can stick to that diet for long enough! After s while you get used to eating less, and eating like you used too suddenly feels really greedy, so you don't slip back into old habits (or at least I didn't).

Will, Jul 29, 2005
  11. Lt Cdr Data

8 stone is nothing at all - and I feel as tho I'm skinny!! but I am fairly tall...well, 6 foot...but when I was in my early 20's I was real thin, but then I did weight just over 10 stone, but I was fit as a fiddle....thought nothing of riding 50 miles, most of which would be off road too...but I simply didn't eat enough, but I would walk every day...about 4-5 miles

mr cat, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Lt Cdr Data

rsand I can't feel my toes

I implimented some of gillian mckeiths (you are what you eat) principals into my diet, ie not a full change which would do wonders for my health but had to sustain, but adding some good principals. Worked for me and reasonably painless - lost one and a half stone (gradually) and it continues to fall over the months.

Better still is I feel much better in general, my skin has improved vastly which has been a problem for years.

rsand, Jul 29, 2005
  13. Lt Cdr Data

cat

you need to work out exactly where you are at this point in time with your calorie intake, take the time to look at what you eat over about 3-4 weeks and how that relates to your weight i.e are you gaining weight or sustaining your current weight or even losing weight, when you have this info try to modify it in such a way that will not have to much of an effect on your life, ie. that extra pint at the end of the night or extra bag of crisps or choccie bar etc etc etc, it is for you to decide what you can live without or not live without. On top of this take ONE form of exercise and do it perhaps twice per week, work into it slowly over a few weeks, i`d say to do something that you enjoy ie. cycling, running, jogging, football with the lads, weight training (the list goes on) but you absolutely MUST enjoy what you choose to do and STICK TO IT and DO NOT FLOG YOURSELF INTO SUBMISSION with your chosen exercise or you`ll just lose your enthusiasm for it and then you`re on the way to dropping it altogether, if you do `over-do it` your body will go into `self defence` mode and effectively shut down it`s tolerence of the exercise and it`s ability to react to it. DO NOT react to the exercise by upping your calorie intake, keep it the same and see how it goes, if you don`t begin to see a 0.5-1.5kg per week loss it will be time to introduce another exercise to do say once per week to complement your first choice of exercise so if you cycle, try adding in some weight training, i personally swear by weight training as it`s short, effective and as tough as you want it to be and it is a proven fact that up to as much as 8 hours after a tough weight training session your body is still burning calories at an elevated rate, don`t worry about waking up looking like a WWF wrestler, if you don`t consume shed-loads of carbs, proteins and of course anabolics steroids you`ll only see a minimal growth of muscle. Weight loss is a long term thing, think what you can lose over 9-12 months at a rate of 0.5kg - 1kg per week rather than trying to drop 2kgs per week for 2-3 weeks and giving up!
    good luck

cat, Jul 29, 2005
  14. Lt Cdr Data

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Something that strikes me is that many people don't modify what they eat according to how active they are. I am fairly inactive on weekends and only need one meal a day. During the week I have two. My evening meals are very carb-heavy but very low fat and I do a good amount of exercise to use the carbs before they're stored as fat. I drink very little (averaged out over a year it's probably 2-3 units a week, most of it at christmas).

I-S, Jul 29, 2005
  15. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Since around February I've lost a stone, down from 12st7lbs to 11st7lbs. Haven't changed eating habits at all but I did start going to the gym twice a week with a personal trainer making sure I was actually putting some effort in :) . Also cut down drastically on alcohol which IMO was probably the biggest contributing factor to the belly I used to have :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 29, 2005
  16. Lt Cdr Data

inteificio

Well the fastest way to lose weight is to induce dissentry.
    The easiest way to do this would be to comnume your own feces.
    Your body will assume that your intestines have backed up and empty your body of all consumed matter in a rather violent manner....for a few weeks.

If you wanted to get fitter, although that would probably increase your weight as muscle weighs more. I would goto your doctor and ask him, they know what they are talking about.

Dieting is a foolish waste of time and a quick way to damage your body.

The basic medical advice is eat a balanced diet (that does not mean starve yourself) and try to get 30 mins of excercise a day.

Worked for me, though my 30 mins excercise was very extreme.
    As it has boosted my metabolic rate, I am alwys full of energy and have real trouble putting the weight back on though i try!

inteificio, Jul 29, 2005
  17. Lt Cdr Data

GAZZ

If you want to lose weight, eat healthly cut down on carbs as most people eat to many, increase your protein (not fat).Do not drink alcohol only eat very little bread 1 peice a day wholemeal at that. eat lots of veg potatoes which should be limited to jacket and boiled not many either. The best excercise for losing fat is weight lifting but be careful as injuries are high. If there is a sport you like play it, you will only get bored in the gym if you don't like it.

GAZZ, Jul 29, 2005
  18. Lt Cdr Data

batfink

I'd say pretty much the same as everyone else - better diet and increased exercise.

Early last year, I decided to lose some weight - I was 13 stone - 4 months later my weight was down to 11 stone. It takes a lot of perseverance - for the first month or two I lost virtually nothing, then all of a sudden the weight started falling off to the point that I had to watch that I didn't lose too much! For me, regular exercise was mainly running and swimming a few times per week.

After I'd lost the weight, I enjoyed exercising and felt much better about myself so decided to take up a new challenge - triathlon. I now exercise more often than when I was trying to lose weight (6 days a week now) at a much higher intensity - my problem now is eating enough so I maintain the 11 stone I am today. I've never felt fitter and healthier with the added benefit that all the training gives you a great physique :) .

batfink, Jul 30, 2005
  19. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

well actually its the old mr scotty of star trek thing...'tell the captain it'll take 24 hours to do a job, when it takes 12 and he'll think you a miracle worker when you get it done in 8!!)

its more like 2-2.5 stone.

I am 13 stone, 5 ft 8 so need to be 11, but i want to get pretty slim so 10 is the target figure.

this is the state of play and my experiences.

I know all the theory...eat less, exercise more, watch your calorie intake, no snacking all that....

The problem has gottne worse in the country, hence the obesity epidemic, supersize mars bars, chips, burgers, alcohol intake, perhaps that's why girls smoke, too, in order to keep thin.
    Couple that with more stress....which I think is the major cause really, which sets off the eating 'addiction' and yes it is an addiction of sorts, biscuits, crisps, cake, alcohol, currys. less excercise, dependance on cars.

that's just an analysis, and I have largley cut a lot of those things, still no weight loss tho

Now what have i tried, soup diet, liquid, kak, as you get hungry and I get light headed, if you starve your body, and you need to in order for it to shed, you get hungry, and then you eat. no good.

atkins, not too bad, but cuts out my fave foods, easier in the winter as there are no home grown spuds, but scrambled/poached eggs are pitiful without toast.

atkins is partly right, I used to eat toast with marmalade for brekky, and I was starved after 1 hour. there is no food value in bread.

troulbe is, atkins weight loss also is very slow, it takes months and months. the illusions some people get of rapid weight loss are very unhelpful.

a veggie diet could be the answer....do you ever see a fat veggie? but again that's tough

I have tried cutting intake, that's tough, anyway it isn't that big, I am not convinced I am taking in more than 2200 calories at a rough guess per day as is recommmended.

alcohol IS a big contributor, perhaps THE biggest, perhaps 10 units per week, but that has shrunk a lot.

so to some up, a diet is hard as you have to literally starve you body to cause it to use up its fat reserves and lose weight, this takes weeks or months to see any result, by that time most people will lose heart.

excercise is touhg for me as I have asthma....

most of me is muscle, very dense, but the belly is showing, and its got to come off, it may well be a stable weight and just slowly increase with years, but nevertheless its not healthy now and has to go.

diet pills...tried cellulose as a bulk forming agent, supposed to fill you up b4 meals...not very good.

now!! bought some xenical off the web, blocks absorption of fat in the gut, not very pleasant at the toilet, no results after 1 month, so expect long term use of 6-12 months to show....not viable.

only other medical option is amphetamines but these damage your mental health....

so the ideal is...to

find something that fills your stomach and keeps you from being light headed, whilst

being satisfying and not contatining enuff calories to put on or maintain weight...whilst provideing nutrients...

that is the challenge....

vit pills are fairly useless I ahve a good one, and didn't feel any difference in terms of cravings if I was short of micro nutrients.

At 2 stone over, even that 'relative' small amount, when you see the bloaters around, I can feel the difference, I am slower, get puffed more, its gets your lungs, feel more tired, no doubt more strain on the heart and knees, and you don't get used to it, oddly.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 30, 2005
  20. Lt Cdr Data

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi Data

I saw this part, as do I mate, as do I, but I don't let it stop me exercising, just take ya inhaulers and you'll be ok, don't push it, but I found the exercise improved my asthma and keeps it under control, I sill need the medicine but finding I need it less, so much for the docs saying I'd grow out of it! still have it at 30 no signs of it going anywhere, but I have a flow meter reading of 630 which is good (so i'm lead to beleive).
    Ya I don't do diets, not strong enough to stick to them, but I try and buy everything low fat or healthy, flora light, etc. I don't eat chocolate, and I try not to snack. Make lots of small changes, they'll all add up, not over night, give it time.

When I was in my early 20's I was actually 7.5 stone, so I've put on a stone in the last 10 years, probably putting on a bit of weight at the moment, seeing as i'm coped up inside for 4 weeks, the sooner I can get back on my bike the better. Actually just jumped on the scales it reads 8.8 stone, so not as bad as I was expecting.

I'm not sure that is a good idea, its like cheating to get the result you want, I'm sure I'll come back and bite you in the arse, I really wouldn't recommend this approach.

Good to see men finally take a serious interest in their health.

lhatkins, Jul 30, 2005
Ask a Question