Would this be worthwhile? (speaker support)

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by penance, Mar 6, 2005.

1. penance

MartinC Trainee tea boy

My take on it is that on suspended wooden floors, decoupling the speaker from the floor is the best plan, whilst on a solid concrete floor where you don't have to worry about this you can go the rigid route.

Rigidly coupling something to the floor will make it more susceptible to footsteps, not isolate from this.

Provided the floor isn't soft they shouldn't.

MartinC, Mar 8, 2005
  2. penance

rsand I can't feel my toes

If its carpeted who would know? Spikes will make more of a mess than 2 or 3 screws. Spiking instead of screwing should still work they just won't be as planted, soundwise though I would be surpised if you could hear a difference between spiked and screwed.

Having 4 lots of slate, dont take my word as gospel, experiment with your original idea you might prefer it. Steel spikes do resonate though, sorbathane doesn't which is why I think my suggestion above works, maybe if you could get aluminium (very low resonating metal) spikes it would be different? Although I did try RCD (non resonating) and still prefered the sorbathane.

rsand, Mar 8, 2005
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

well the slate is on alli cones to the floor.
    I'll look for a cheap supply of sorbothane blocks and try the speakers direct as in -

Speaker - sorbothane - slate - cones - floor

penance, Mar 8, 2005
  4. penance

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

What's the point of coupling the slate tightly to the floor, if you're only going to decouple the speaker above? Put sorbothane below the slate. Similar to vehicle suspension, "minimise the unsprung weight" - that means put the spring/damper below the slate, not above. You then have a lossy barrier to vibrations. Above the barrier you have a high mass sitting on a lossy spring, which means that anything that actually makes it up through the lossy spring can't move the object because it is so massive.

SteveC, Mar 8, 2005
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

the cones are mostly to help levelling as the floor is very uneven.

penance, Mar 8, 2005
  6. penance

Davewhit

I just used large thick slabs of slate under speakers when I had B&W 804 the speakers on spikes just stood on slabs very good but slab was very thick

Davewhit, Mar 8, 2005
  7. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

very thick = ?
    what type of floor?

penance, Mar 8, 2005
Ask a Question