X-can V3 Output Stage - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Fergus, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Fergus

Fergus

Has anybody out there any ideas about how to best mod the output stage of the MF X-CAN V3?

Obvious solution: simply replace the 4 sub-standard JAMICON non-polars (220uF/16v) with sonically better types (of a higher capitance?) and bypass with film caps.

Recently, I bought some huge, mil-spec Russian PIO caps. I wonder could they be incorporated into any mod of the output stage, either alone or used to bypass the non-polar electrolytics? :confused: Zanash has used them to good effect in both the output stages of the X-10 V3 (which has a very similar curcuit design to the X-CAN V3) and X-DAC V3.

Thanks,

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 1, 2006
  2. Fergus

zanash

yes yes yes .......its very much a try them and see, did you get the 2.2uf caps ?

these sound very good but shoe horning them into the case can be interesting !

pm me for more info

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  3. Fergus

Fergus

Thanks Zanash.

Bought a couple of the Russian PIOs (2uF/400v) from you some time back (along with a free bag of goodies). However, I went to e-bay recently and purchased 10 of them. From you, I know that they can be fitted (with some difficulty) into the X-10 V3 and X-DAC V3. I'll PM you later.

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 2, 2006
  4. Fergus

zanash

of course its been a bit busy recently and my brain is not the same I had my accident !

got your pm

zanash, Oct 2, 2006
  5. Fergus

Malky

http://rockgrotto.proboards39.com/index.cgi
    Join this forum for headphones in the UK. Pink floyd knows plenty regarding the X Can V3. I have bought the upgrade kit and I am waiting for my son to Mod it for me as he is an electerical engineer and I am an Aircraft fitter and thus know nothing. Pinkie is very helpful.

Malky, Oct 2, 2006
  6. Fergus

Fergus

Thanks Malky.

Already a member of Mike's forum. Mike's mods to the V3 are highly successful (and I'm sure you'll be very happy with them). However, I want to try and work these big, mil-spec Russian paper in oil caps into any future upgrade of the output stage.

Thanks again,

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 2, 2006
  7. Fergus

zanash

did you get my email?

zanash, Oct 4, 2006
  8. Fergus

Fergus

Zanash,

Got your e-mail okay. Any ideas yet?

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 4, 2006
  9. Fergus

Fergus

Zanash,

Just realised your e-mail had all your recommended mods. Thanks.

Replacing the input and output sockets should be relatively straightfoward. The jumper wire for the amp's internals and jack would be the pure silver type you used in your mod of X-DAC and X-10V3. Could you tell me where I could buy this?

The heatsinks in you pic you sent me are huge. Did you buy these or did you make them yourself? I purchased a pair of rather tiny heatsinks from Mike.

The bi-polars are actually Nitais, replaced by me about a year ago; the stock caps were Jamicons similar to the ones in the X-DAC. Again I've bought a pair of 1000uF/16v CD71s bi-polars off Mike. The Russian PIOs would then be bypass caps?

I have some resistors bought off Farnell. Whether they are as good as the DALE-VISHAY types you sent me some time ago is another matter (MRS25 - 33R and 10R 1%).

What would you recommend for replacements to the poor quality film caps in the signal path: WIMA or EVOX/RIFA? And what values?

Thanks again,

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 4, 2006
  10. Fergus

zanash

Its an intresting call .....try the pio as bypasses or just the pio's and see how it sounds. Not certain about 1000uf seems bit big to me I don't tend to use anything bigger than 100uf ...but it may work a treat [or not!]

the heat sinks are big but the unit in question had a big problem ! nearly 90degree! reduced to 30 degrees C with the sinks. the heat sinks were a ebay job lot so if you want a couple or three...ask !

I like wimas but evox are equally as good

Whats the phones socket like ? a bad one here and your back to square one.

zanash, Oct 4, 2006
  11. Fergus

Fergus

Thanks again, Zanash.

I myself don't understand the the "theory" behind the 1000uF bi-polars, and neither does my brother who's an electronic engineer. I'll try the PIOs by themselves, and if they work out fine then all the better (I mean, my Sennheisers won't explode, will they?).

The heatsinks look great. How much?

Along with the bag of goodies you sent me were some WIMAs (green and red), the reds being 1uF/63v. Would these be suitable for replacing those shitty film caps in the signal path?

Don't know about the headphone socket. Knowing MF's history, it will probably be poor.

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 4, 2006
  12. Fergus

nando nando

fergus headphone sockets do not make a great difference, infact minimal, gold, silver ,rhodium , bull, is the main source of output components that make a difference, as for m.f. name more that use headphone sockets that cost 0,56p. over to you guys.nando

nando, Oct 4, 2006
  13. Fergus

zanash

I've recently swapped a cheap socket with an average one with a significant jump in quality .....its down the the contacts and material if they are ok I'd expect little change but having seen the component quality in the x- series the whole lot can be bought for the cost of a decent fish supper. I'd expect them to be chrome on steel or similar but without having the unit in front of me its not easy to say .....but I would rather keep an open mind and leave the option open rather than dismiss it.

zanash, Oct 5, 2006
  14. Fergus

Fergus

I'll certainly look at the headphone socket. If it's not good (as I suspect it will be) then I'll replace it. Any ideas Zanash?

Fergus

P.S. Did you get the cash for the silver cable?

Fergus, Oct 5, 2006
  15. Fergus

zanash

The best is the neutric but its big and panel mounted.......I've some small ones about somewhere if I find one I'll post it to you.....

Watch out for the package its on it's way!

zanash, Oct 7, 2006
  16. Fergus

Fergus

Package arrived first thing this morning. I don't know what it will sound like, but it's a lovely looking bit of cable.

Thanks,

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 7, 2006
  17. Fergus

nando nando

please , the problem is not with the headphone socket, i can resolve the issue as to where,nando

nando, Oct 7, 2006
  18. Fergus

zanash

Are you saying that the headphone socket plays no part in he sound of this unit ?

zanash, Oct 8, 2006
  19. Fergus

Fergus

All I know is that the quality of MF's components is surprisingly and disappointingly low. Since upgrading the tubes from the stock JAN/PHILIPS 6922s to the much superior Russian 6H23N-EBs (NOS) and replacing the JAMICON caps to PANASONIC FCs, there has been a noticeable improvement in the sound.

I suppose it's the cumulative effect of these improvements, each component change bettering the sound, broadening the soundstage. Personally, I think the headphone socket would improve the sound, as would changing the input and output sockets.

Fergus

Fergus, Oct 8, 2006
  20. Fergus

zanash

I've found the sockets I'll drop one over to you ...

zanash, Oct 9, 2006
Ask a Question