XLR balanced connection - worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

I'm hoping that I can get a few more views regarding whether I should bother using XLRs if I buy a new CDP.

I've got a dem setup for this weekend to listen to a Consonance Droplet. Was VERY impressed at Heathrow, so will be taking my existing front end for a comparison at the dealers.

If the Droplet really floats my boat, then I'll have the option of using either phono connection or balanced XLR to my Bel Canto Evo2i.
    From what I've read over the years, I get the impression that the XLR option would be worth the effort.
    Any thoughts or experiences that people would care to add, particularly if you have experience with the BC?

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 11, 2006
  2. Mr_Sukebe

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

No I wouldn't bother unless I had to for noise reasons. Balanced adds extra circuitry.

If it were called "noise-censoring" instead of "balanced" maybe people wouldn't be so enthusiastic. (Everyone wants to be balanced but no-one wants to censor - right?)

SteveC, Apr 11, 2006
  3. Mr_Sukebe

amir

XLR connection is good if you connect two components that they designed fully diffrential (balance design) and i don't think 1m cable noise be different from XLR or RCA.

amir, Apr 11, 2006
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Elberoth

As amir said - the components that do not have fully differential design sound best through RCA ins/outs. It takes two additional (sound degrading) ICs to make the signal balanced and then convert it back to unbalanced form.

Elberoth, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

From what I've read, I'm fairly sure that the Droplet is fully balanced. Not sure about the BC, but I'm guessing so.

Can anyone clarify that?

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 11, 2006
  6. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

all balanced means is that the output sends out the normal signal and an inverted copy (plus the ground hence 3 pins). in order to generate this inverted signal most 'balanced' sources use either a transformer or ic to invert the original. some digital sources will actually have 2 dacs per channel one of which generates the normal signal and the other the inverse which is a potentially better way of doing it.
    the other thing is that balanced signals are higher voltage than single ended and there fore will be louder for a given volume setting and we all know that louder is better ;)
    to be honest i'd not bother unless you are running active speakers.

julian2002, Apr 11, 2006
  7. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

And you know my feelings .....

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  8. Mr_Sukebe

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The real advantage that balanced connections have over RCA phono is that the ground return and the cable screen are separate.

However, for home hifi it's generally not an issue, and unless both components are true balanced designs there's basically no point. I found on my S300 when I used balanced connections that the output level on the XLRs on the superDAC was so high, and the inherent gain in the differential signalling meant that the usable range of the volume control was very frustratingly small (ie 9 o'clock was head banging level), and reasonable adjustments to the volume could not be made by remote control.

I-S, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

Would attenuating the signal level after the reciever chip have helped ?

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Mr_Sukebe

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

The answer is:

It depends.

In my experience the XLR connector is inherently superior, sonically and a truely balanced connection should also improve sound quality.

The downside is the implementation.

Often balanced outputs are added on after the SE ones and equally balanced inputs often use circutry to convert back to SE. In such cases using bullet plugs or zero connection type cables will likely give the balanced arrangement a good smack bottom.

On the other hand, with truely balanced gear the reverse may be true.

So as said, it depends.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Mr_Sukebe

gregf

If both the CD and the amps are designed to run fully differential then I would use balanced, but as others said the balanced output/input is often not designed in from the beginning and simply the single ended output is inverted. I believe the BC has been designed to run fully differential and I am not familiar with the output of the Droplet. If it uses an additional DAC to provide the balanced output then I would not hesitate to go the XLR route.

gregf, Apr 11, 2006
Ask a Question