Yet another D-SLR Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Sep 4, 2006.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

There's been quite a few, and here's another.

I've realised I've hardly picked up either of my film SLRs for quite a while. As with many I'm sure, I just tend to prefer the benefits of using even a compact digital. So, I think It's time to make the change.

It's quite sad to see how little I'm likely to get. I've both a Nikon Pronea S (APS SLR), and an F65. Looking at completed ebay items, I think I'd be looking at £200 tops for the pair!

So, what to go for?

I'll probably stick with Nikon, simply because it's what I know - Inless there's some genuine reasons to look elsewhere?

Budget is flexible to a point, but depends on genuine benefits. My options seem to be D50, D70, D70s, and possibly the up coming D80. I don't think I can either justify or afford to stretch to the D200.

Am I right in thinking that in terms of their place in the line-up, they're as above (D50/70/70s/80)?

With the D80 not even released yet, there's little/no chance of getting any significant discount.

Of the 4 MOdels I've listed what are the key differences and benefits.

Thanks.

MO!, Sep 4, 2006
  2. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The difference between the d50 and d70 is quite small. But there are differences, primarily the D70 has a DOF button, and can remote control the nikon flash units. However there is not a lot different otherwise.

I have a D50 and with the excellent selection of lenses out there, I think a nikon is a no brainer. If you have any lenses AIS abd above they will work on it as well. Yippee.

garyi, Sep 4, 2006
  3. MO!

Dev Moderator

I'd go for the D50. I bought a D70S and although I like it a lot, I can't say the difference in specs is worth the extra money.

Dev, Sep 4, 2006
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I assumed they'd all have DOF preview. Seems a bit of a strange omission. The D50 at under £400 seems Ideal apart from that. Worth spending alMOst double on the D80?

MO!, Sep 5, 2006
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Also, what about the new lens system that the D80 uses?

MO!, Sep 5, 2006
  6. MO!

Dev Moderator

7. MO!

greg Its a G thing

Based on the rec of several on PFM I'd also suggest looking at the Pentax *istD. Very good vfm and one major advantage over cameras in this price bracket: a proper view finder.

greg, Sep 5, 2006
  8. MO!

andyoz

If they are selling any D70 cheap, then maybe grap one.

The Firmware can be upgraded to the same one as used in the D70s and I think the only difference then is a slightly bigger screen on D70s vs. D70.

Love my D70, just wish I kew how to use it properly.

And yes, it's Nikon all the way in this price range. Canon come into their own further up the price ladder.

andyoz, Sep 5, 2006
  9. MO!

greg Its a G thing

Pentax shouldn't be ignored.

greg, Sep 5, 2006
  10. MO!

hifikrazy

As you already have some Nikon lenses this may go a long way to making the decision for you. As mentioned above Pentax shouldnt be ignored - the K100D is a nice camera and the K10D which may or not be arriving soon is even better. Im currently looking at getting a DSLR myself and along with the K100D i also have the Sony DSLR-A100 on my list.

hifikrazy, Sep 5, 2006
  11. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

What new lens system?:confused:

I-S, Sep 5, 2006
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm sure I'd read something about the D80 using different lenses.

I've only had a quick look into what's around so maybe I've miss-read something.

Thoughts on what to go for Isaac?

MO!, Sep 5, 2006
  13. MO!

Dev Moderator

Don't know about new lense system but Nikon have introduced 2 new lenses with the D80. Brief discription in the link I posted above.

Dev, Sep 5, 2006
  14. MO!

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Stick with the film cameras

I understand what you mean with regard to digital image makers, I use them for work, but when it comes to photgraphy I use my SLR and medium format cameras, as you know the results are so much more rewarding. As you know, it is similar to the dfference between CD and vinyl, 90% of the information there, but without the atmosphere.

Friends with digital images makers very often ask me to take photos for them if they want a decent picture.

Just think of the amount photographs you can take and have developed with £400-500.

Really not trying to stop you, but just up your SLR and go and shoot a few films and have them developed.

Levi_501, Sep 5, 2006
  15. MO!

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The quality/availability of film processing is what killed film for me. My EOS 3 was a better camera than my current 20D (or it's D30 predecessor), but film can't touch digital for quality at large print sizes, high ISO performance and not having your film ruined by a poor developer (and it's happened to me many times at many different processing outlets). And £500 only gets about 1500 shots of film, developing and printing. That's easy to knock out on a good holiday.

MO - I'm a canon user, and I've not been keeping my ear to the ground much lately. Consider the system as a whole rather than just the body. In this respect, canon and nikon are streets ahead of everyone else. Between the two of them it's give and take... if you do a lot of very big lens work then canon have a clear advantage. Nikon's metering systems are a step better than canon's, but canon have traditionally had much stronger AF system (but nikon have closed that gap quite a lot). If you're used to nikon with your present bodies then at the sort of level you're talking about there's not really a compelling reason to switch. If you have any IX-nikkors for the pronea they will not work with a DX body.

I-S, Sep 5, 2006
  16. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks for the replies.

When getting into film the major choice was Canon, or Nikon. I tried both and differences were MOre down to personal taste. This seems to be the same with film so to simplify my choice I'm only really looking at Nikon.

I understand where opinions about sticking film come from and I've held off on changing for a while. But as I said earlier, I'f I'm honest, I find myself picking up my film cameras less and less (barely ever), while using the digital compact MOre and MOre.
    So, a change is due.

The quesiton now is, what to change to?
    D50/70/70s/80

MO!, Sep 5, 2006
  17. MO!

Dev Moderator

If you can afford it, go for 80, if budget's tight, go for 50.

Dev, Sep 5, 2006
  18. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It's not so much about affording, rather than justifying the extra cost.

The D80 is obviously the better camera, but can I justify it at double the cost of the D50?

I'm quite tempted and Dabs seem to be the best price I've found (so far) at £605.99 for body only, £774.99 inc 18-70 lens, and £817.98 inc 18-135 lens. I noticed their 9 month interest free finance being mentioned on the "office" thread too, which seems like a good deal.

The D80 isn't released yet so that means I'm in no rush anyway, so gives me plenty of time to look into it MOre and to decide which way to go. Body only? Or one of the kits?

hmmmm.......

MO!, Sep 5, 2006
  19. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Mo. The kit lens does offer a good wide angle, to do this in any meaningful way after the event will set you back a fair amount of money.

As for the other features, well you need to decide if you will actually require the features of the D80, my personal opinion is for an 'in' into digital SLR you simply won't beat a D50 they are like 300 quid on eBay. this would leave you in you budget 400 odd quid to get a couple of decent lenses. I have an 80-200 f2.8 ed lens and a 35-70 f2.8 lens as well. Both super sharp and well regarded in their respective prices points.

Second hand they are doable, in other words, D50, 80-200mm and 35-70mm as well as the kit lens for what you will pay for a D80 body.

To me its a no brainer. But I too understand the shiny lust of new products, its why they do it.

garyi, Sep 5, 2006
  20. MO!

greg Its a G thing

I'd recommend you go and pick up whichever candidates you short list. I'd also rec you don't underestimate the importance of a proper view finder.

If you are keen on the D80 I'd rec you keep an eye on http://www.ajpurdy.co.uk/erol.html as a) they're a proper camera shop with massive experience and very helpful staff and b) they tend to meet or exceed anyone else's deals.

greg, Sep 5, 2006
Ask a Question