Your favourite 20 mins of music - ever!

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by GrahamN, May 25, 2004.

1. GrahamN

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Taking part in the treble part of Miserere by Allegri, then cursing as my gonads dropped :)

SteveC, Jun 8, 2004
  2. GrahamN

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Well, Dvorak and Puccini (and also the Goldbergs :eek: :eek: apart, I'd agree with you.

Also the Um Mitternacht Mahler Lied (by Ferrier - no one else will do).

And what about the e major fugue (just the fugue, without the sissy prelude) from WTC II played repeateldly until you get to 20 m?? That would probably be my true choice right now (I'm playing it, and I do repeat it often... So, there you are) :D

Or else you may play the Bruckner 9th Adagio and stop the clock for a few minutes...

Well, I may be cheating...

Also, (no cheating, this time) Bach's 6th harpsichord partita (WITH THE GIGUE IN DOUBLE TIME and played dam fast and very detached :inferno: ) without most of the second part repeats. That will be about 25 minutes.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jun 8, 2004
  3. GrahamN

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

You might be able to squeeze most of the Ruckert Lieder into 20mins.... if I had to choose one it would be "Ich bin der welt abhanden gekommen" (or something like that).

As I have a problem with scratchy mono sound it would Janet Baker or Brigitte Fassbeander - her recording with Chailly/Berlin RSO from mid 80s is superb.

alanbeeb, Jun 8, 2004
  4. GrahamN

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Top 20 mins must be the last part of "Raga Durga" played by Shivkumar Sharma and Zakir Hussain.

if it's still available i'd get it QUICK

it is Indian classical music.

bat, Jun 8, 2004
  5. GrahamN

Now let me see if I've killed this thread too...

bat, Jun 8, 2004
  6. GrahamN

GrahamN

So a fair few interesting suggestions here. Looks like we're all stretching it a bit though. I'm only just over by having Barenboim's 2nd (DG) recording, which is 20'27 - definitely not the rather perfunctory version from the Kempff mono series that gets such good reviews (he takes only 21'38 over the whole sonata!) :chunder:

Tones: allow you Nisi Dominus through to Sonata sopra Sancta Maria even though it's 23'57 - No Ave maris stella though!

W-M: this is a music thread ;) :D

Jack: The Glass is actually 24'54 in the Kremer/Dohnanyi version...eerm....OK then...by the skin of your teeth.

Slaphead: Beethoven 1 (Karajan 60s) is 24'57 and Furtwaengler 20 seconds longer......still, I'm sure Norrington must do it in about 15' then :rolleyes:

Pete: Good boy...14'20 (Manze/Podger) - want to add a filler?

RdS: lost count of how many cheats that is?

Omers: well chosen - although I'd have to ban the 6th suite (>26 mins)

Alan: you've been corrupted by RdS' scurrilous cheating ways. Schubert Quintet slow movement is completely timeless, so that can come in whatever physical time it actually takes. But no....the Abschied is 29 mins 33 (OK that's Klemperer's time) so it's out. If I were to choose a Bruckner slow movement, I'd like to have Wand's 8th - but that's 27'36 :( .

Sibelius 7 - well Saraste/Finnish radio comes in at 19'38, but I wouldn't really want to restrict you to that when Davis' Boston one's much better at 21'20. Just as long as you don't want Karajan's overrated and over-pompous 23'25! (Although I've not heard it, I wouldn't be surprised if Vanska hits 25' - could be great though).

SteveC - so you reckon you can't do 12'31 of falsetto then. Squeeze harder! Want some more?

Alan: more cheating? Ludwig/Karajan come in nicely at 19'48 (I'm sorry, I just cannot stand Ferrier's voice)

Bat: tell me more...I've been meaning to solicit suggestions for some real Indian music (bangra-boys need not apply). What time of day are those ragas for - I'm probably looking for some evening stuff as that's when I would mostly listen to it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2004
    GrahamN, Jun 8, 2004
  7. GrahamN

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Graham,
    It's 19' & 20 seconds long, fits in your time criteria
    Has the Berlin Philimonic Orchestra thrown in to 'fill in' in a bit :D
    Seems that particular beat combo could cut it , with the string & stuff shirt squard :) damn good strack

wadia-miester, Jun 8, 2004
  8. GrahamN

sideshowbob Trisha

I've recently discovered Ustad Vilyat Khan - uniformly great.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 9, 2004
  9. GrahamN

eisenach

20 mins, well I can get any number of complete Bach Cantatas for that. Any will do, but how about BWV106 - if it fits. If 106 is too long, well, take your pick from the rest.

eisenach, Jun 9, 2004
  10. GrahamN

joel Shaman of Signals

Always interested in more suggestions for Indian classical music...
    I can recommend the Indian releases on Nonesuch Explorer (from the seventies) and on Ocora (from the seventies to nineties). King Records and JVC / Victor also have extensive and *very* well recorded libraries of Indian music (not to mention Denon PCM :D ), but may be harder to come by.
    My 20 minutes of music could well be "Sakana al Layel" in a 1961 recording by the great Fairouz. I would say Sufi chanting, but that can go on for days...

joel, Jun 10, 2004
  11. GrahamN

Raga Durga is probaly a morning raga - not very well known one, but the recording puts me into instant nirvana. The end part is played incredibly fast. This is a studio recording by Indian EMI.

The Rag Rageshri (Moment Records MRCD 1010) is a live recording and a truly fantastic evening rag... It features the same artists.

Ravi Shankar and Ali Akbar Khan made a good record(s) together in the early 70's.

bat, Jun 11, 2004
  12. GrahamN

Btw, Shivkumar Sharma plays santoor which has a lot common with harpsichord and is well adapted to the Western ear.

bat, Jun 11, 2004
Ask a Question