Your favourite worst song

Discussion in 'General Music' started by LiloLee, Jan 20, 2004.

1. LiloLee

michaelab desafinado

That's not a "worst" song, that's a cracker! Didn't it get banned on Radio 1 for being a little too explicit?

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 20, 2004
  2. LiloLee

julian2002 Muper Soderator

that's the one, 7 minutes of some girlie moaning (in a good way, not about how you never put the lid down). it's not exactly the pinacle of musical achievement. does anyone remember a similarly monotonous single from the 80's... superman or something? just an geological age of someone going ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah, superman. over and over again. oh god, the horror, the horror....
    and what about haysi fantaysee's masterpiece john wayne is big leggy. class
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 20, 2004
  3. LiloLee

sideshowbob Trisha

That's Laurie Anderson's "O Superman", it's great, as is the album it's from, Big Science. An unlikely hit single it must be said. A proper downtown Noo York avant-garde performance art experience, the live show (called United States) was fantastic. Sadly, she rapidly went downhill and is now shacked up with Lou Reed.

http://www.laurieanderson.com/

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
    sideshowbob, Jan 20, 2004
  4. LiloLee

space cadet Far out...

Who incidentally made my least favourite record last year – the pompous garbage that was The Raven. Actually I never made it past the first few tracks, it might be really good later.

space cadet, Jan 20, 2004
  5. LiloLee

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I refuse to have ''she sells sanctuary'' by The Cult on a ''worst song ever'' listing!!!!!!!!!! remove it Julian !!!! :D if thats the worst you've got, your record collection is superb mate.

ookay.

Shite that I love -

AHA 'take on me'
    Boy meets girl 'waiting for a star to fall'
    David Lee Roth 'Yankee Rose' (in fact all his albums :D) - actually is it really bad music if I like it so much?

actually 80s pop was fantastic in parts wasnt it? nothing shite about it really.

ultravox 'vienna' - tell me you dont love this song. I wont believe you.
    blondie 'heart of glass'
    theres so much great stuff!

and...the best 80s band of them all in my eyes...

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Jan 20, 2004
  6. LiloLee

HenryT

Good choice... Care to name any stand out tracks in particular? :)

I can never remember the name of the group who did that track, but know the track you mean. :MILD: Got a compilation album of "electronic, new wave and synth" [it says here] tracks with that song on it... Also looking down the list of titles on that aforementioned compilation album I'd pick out "Trio - da da da" to add to this list. :)

Nothing wrong with that track :cool: , but I guess it could wind up The Smiths/Morissey fans out there for the use of that lifted sample - personally I think it means that they (The Smiths/Morissey) have at last contributed something worthwhile to "music" at long last in a round about way - IMMHO of course :p

HenryT, Jan 21, 2004
  7. LiloLee

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I was only a pup and can only really remember the singles. Bottleneck's already mentioned "take on me", so other obvious ones would be "hunting high and low", "the sun always shines on tv", "cry wolf" and the classic "touchy"

MO!, Jan 21, 2004
  8. LiloLee

chris,
    i love the songs but last time i posted about an 80's goth compilation i found on the cheap in tescos i was pilloried for my abominabul taste in music so i thought i'd put them up in this thread. i must admit that most of the music mentioned in this thread is stuff that i wouldn;t mind listening to.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 21, 2004
  9. LiloLee

mr cat Member of the month

Whams - club tropicana...

and also that cheeky girls track...nice video too:D

mr cat, Jan 21, 2004
  10. LiloLee

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Christ... I've never heard this track, but I *do* know it's one of Dennis Nilssen's favourite tracks... Just reminded me of it - Dennis Nilssen's the dude who murdered homosexuals and kept them under the floorboards and then either burnt them (when moving out of his first flat, Melrose Avenue) or chopped them up and flushed them down the loo (in Cranley Gardens) - the report of the one guy he revived is my first vivid memory of a news report on the radio.... Sorry - not saying you're like him Sideshow (well apart from Bart Simpson that is ;)) - just got me thinking about that book about Nilssen again....

What's the track like?

Henryt - how dare you steal my thunder! Actually, that's not necessarily what I'd put.

Rolf Harris - Stairway to heaven (I reckon it's as good as the other version, because THIS version sounds fresh!)

Roxette - basically anything up to Tourism, but particularly The look and Fingertips

Go West - King of wishful thinking

ABC - Poison arrow

Heaven 17 - Temptation

Suzy Quatro - 48 crash

Primitives - Crash

Human league - anything - especially The sign and I'm coming back, off of Hysteria (an original 1984 non-barcoded CD copy of which was in my discman on the way to work today :)

Julian - L'il Louis' French Kiss is on the CD version (but not tape or vinyl) of NOW16 if you want to get hold of it. It's a cracker - love that orgasm in the middle. It was banned at our school for a while ;)
    Incidentally, I own almost everything that's been mentioned on this thread so far ;)

domfjbrown, Jan 21, 2004
  11. LiloLee

thanks dom, i'll look out for it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 21, 2004
  12. LiloLee

sideshowbob Trisha

I can top that. I used to go out with a woman who worked in the same DHSS office as Nilssen. He would cook a large pot of chili for the xmas party, when the same pot was found in his flat, it had a human head in it, apparently. Sometimes having good music taste isn't enough to redeem somebody...

Minimal, on the surface very simple, but when you listen to the lyrics it's actually quite sinister and claustrophobic; a nursery rhyme to US military-industrial power. The album is an essential moment in electronic music.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 21, 2004
  13. LiloLee

I've seen the exact cooking pot - it's photographed in one of my serial killer books. Steve Sinclair's head was the one they found in it - it had been partially boiled (moist heat). IN the same photo were the knives used for dissection, a pair of headphones, and some ties (the latter two things used to aid strangulation). The "Killing for company" book is fascinating - it attempts to explain why he did what he did.

I'm trying to think WHO it is I know - oh yeah, my brother's colleague - he used to work in the same office as Nilssen as well - apparently he was quite assertive yet not very talkative - a bit of a loner.

I can tell you one thing - it's weird knowing a murderer (well, they called it manslaughter but it should have been murder, since no-one forced this person to take heroin before smothering their landlord)... Very creepy to know that a mate you hung out with at school could do that. Diminished responsibility my arse...

Back to the tunes - apols for the hijack...

domfjbrown, Jan 21, 2004
  14. LiloLee

osama Perenially Bored

Hi dom. Is there any site where I can read more about serial killers including this Nilssen guy? Just curious about this really. Thanks.

regards

osama, Jan 21, 2004
  15. LiloLee

HenryT

No worries MO! I've not actually heard any of their albums, and only own their greatest hits compilation. "Take On Me" and "The Sun Always Shines On TV" me faves though.

Got to be "Dressed For Success" if I were to pick a Roxette track, a real model definition of what a "pop" song is, surely.

Prefer "We Close Our Eye", but it has to be the original, not the god damn awful 90's remix.

Not on the tape or vinyl version eh, for real? :confused: Mind you, not that I'd know, as I've only got the CD version of Now 16. Now, surely there must be cheaper ways of getting hold of this track then trying to get hold of an early Now CD (check Ebay for prices ;) ). :)

HenryT, Jan 21, 2004
  16. LiloLee

Markus S Trade

Okay, don't believe me. This melody-free dirge makes me reach for the station change button whenever it's played on the radio (thankfully, not too often these days). It must have been targetted at teens who were unsure about their sexual orientation.

Markus S, Jan 21, 2004
  17. LiloLee

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

have a look at http://www.murderuk.com/

themadhippy, Jan 21, 2004
  18. LiloLee

He he - go with what Les (Madhippy) says - I daren't do a search on this at work!!!! Off the top of my head I don't know of any sites - but will defo have to check out murderuk - I find disasters, serial killers etc fascinating...

Henryt - yep, my tape copy of NOW 16 doesn't have it - there were 3 bonus tracks on the CD (but I can't remember ottomh what they are - barring L'il Louis of course!). I got this on 7inch single for 10p in a charity shop recently too by the way :)

domfjbrown, Jan 22, 2004
  19. LiloLee

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Outrageous! Floodland is one of my favourite albums :mad:
    Another favourite! I was playing this just the other day :mad:

How about...

X-Ray Specs - I Live Off You or Germfree Adolescents

Top Gun - all of it

Rachael - L. A. Ex - utter tosh but annoyingly catchy

technobear, Jan 23, 2004
  20. LiloLee

HenryT

Tenuous connection, if only because of the glasses/specs bit reminded me of....

Timbuck 3 - The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) :cool:

ELO - Rock'n'Roll Is King

The Kids From Fame - High Fidelity

Urban Cookie Collective - The Key, The Secret (maybe one that should be added to the "old skool late 80s early 9-s thead" too, but maybe not as it was 1996 IIRC)

:)

HenryT, Jan 23, 2004
Ask a Question