Zanash's Cable Cooker

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Jul 3, 2003.

1. zanash

zanash

Well... the idea came about coz I could not afford the commercial version.

Ingredients

A small box ..I used a plastic double socket back box and blank face plate.
    2 x 8ohm resitors the sort with the built in heat sink, of at least 5amp.
    4 x RCA sockets
    speaker Wire some

Cut a piece of 6mm MDF to fit in box.
    Clamp blank plate and MDF together
    Cut four 8mm holes in the blank plate, and then through the mdf. Enlarge the holes in the blank plate to about 10mm. I did it this way so the holes matched up. Nothing worse than if your holes do not match !!
    Fit RCA socket to MDF, checking that the top plate still matches.
    Cut a hole to allow the speaker cable's to enter the back box, that's both channel worth.
    Cut speaker cable so that you have 2 x 0.5m stero lenghts, and thread through hole.
    Solder + and - of speaker cable to the centre pin and ground tag respectively of the RCA socket. Repeat for other channel.
    Cut two small lenghts of speaker cable just long enough to reach from the second RCA plugs to the sides of the box. Solder these in place as before, then solder the two free ends to the resitor terminals,one each side. Repeat for the other cable.

So now you should be able to trace the signal from the + terminal of the amp to the centre pin of the RCA. Imagine an IC cable fitted between the sockets. From the centre pin of the second RCA socket tothe resistor through it and backto the ground of the RCA socket, through the Imaginary IC , and the second RCAsocket ground to the - terminal of the amp. Repeat for the other channel.

you can also use a multimeter to check continuity.

Assemble the device so that the resitors lie in the base of the box the mdf sitson top and the top plate when screwed down holds everything in place.
    Check for shorts..none ,..good !

Fit the RCA IC's to the sockets then hook up to your spare/old/lab amp, connect a CD player and run a dynamic or wide range recording at half volume or so.....depends how powerfull the amp is. After a few moments the resistors will feel hot, that means there doing some work !!
    Leave running for a couple of hours, monitering how ht the resistors become.. too hot turn the volume down !

I use the XLO demagnetising and burn in CD specifically the burn in track on repeat. This saves about a week of normally playing.

zanash, Jul 3, 2003
  2. zanash

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Cooking cables

Like the idea, how much do you reckon it'd cost to put together? I've heard good things about getting cables run in, there was a positive article in Hifi World Dec02 about it. I guess the only thing putting me off is that for little more than the price of a cd, there are several outfits who offer burning in cables using the proper gear, cabletoasting.com and omegaaudio are 2 I know of.
    However I cant think how a diy cooker could harm your cables, its just it may not do what the proper ones can.

Jackthebiscuit, Jul 5, 2003
  3. zanash

zanash

Hi Jackthebuiscuit,

Approximate cost was £10, its the resistors that cost...I'd got everthing else lying arround.

I'm assuming that you have a CDP and amp to be able to run this?

the XLO disc was about £15 a few years back.

zanash, Jul 5, 2003
Ask a Question